Colorado Springs Stax/Ortho/Dacs Meet Impressions (BIG PICS!)
Feb 17, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #91 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, pretty nice intro to electrostats! is there anything that was missing?

Probably just the Orpheus, but for practicality's sake the only thing missing was time. Given a little more of it, I could have heard even more excellent stuff.

Keep in mind, all, that this meet was dedicated to Orthos and Stats -- just the stepchildren and weird, rich uncles of the headphone world. Had we opened it up to dynamics as well (aside from the vaunted K1K), we would have had even more stuff floating around. Imagine!

The Colorado crew are keeping things alive and well, and I suspect our next hoedown will plumb this DAC question a bit further.

Thanks again to Bill (Wiatrob) for his excellent photojournalism, and for getting all these up on site (with names!) so fast, and to Larry (HeadphoneAddict) for graciously hosting us in his home, and pulling interconnects out of the woodwork for the shootout.

Feb 17, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #92 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably just the Orpheus, but for practicality's sake the only thing missing was time. Given a little more of it, I could have heard even more excellent stuff.

Keep in mind, all, that this meet was dedicated to Orthos and Stats -- just the stepchildren and weird, rich uncles of the headphone world. Had we opened it up to dynamics as well (aside from the vaunted K1K), we would have had even more stuff floating around. Imagine!

The Colorado crew are keeping things alive and well, and I suspect our next hoedown will plumb this DAC question a bit further.

Thanks again to Bill (Wiatrob) for his excellent photojournalism, and for getting all these up on site (with names!) so fast, and to Larry (HeadphoneAddict) for graciously hosting us in his home, and pulling interconnects out of the woodwork for the shootout.

Interconnects are like Lays potato chips, you can't have just one.
tongue.gif

Feb 17, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #94 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry, was that Stello DA100 big enough to stack a WA6 on top of it?

No, it isn't deep enough - see the photos of it sitting on top of the Melos SHA Gold. The Apogee mini-DAC is not deep enough either, but it is closer to fitting than the Stello. You could build a small shelf out of 3 boards, to set over the DA100 and then set the WA6 on that.

Feb 17, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #95 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, it isn't deep enough - see the photos of it sitting on top of the Melos SHA Gold. The Apogee mini-DAC is not deep enough either, but it is closer to fitting than the Stello. You could build a small shelf out of 3 boards, to set over the DA100 and then set the WA6 on that.

Right on, thanks!

Feb 17, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #96 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True that.

Straight to stats! Doubly true!

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #97 of 101
Nov 7, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #98 of 101
If you wait until June/July he will be living in Austin and might be able to give it a look see. Other than that I hear he is to busy drinking beer and playing Halo 4.

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #99 of 101
Quote:
Do you still have the Blue Hawaii headphone amp?
I just bought one from ebay per the link below, and is having overheat problem on V-3. It will generate loud hiss sound after 15-20 minutes of listening.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130778269067?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Just wonder where can I get it repaired?
How can I get hold of the person made it?
Thanks!
Jesse
Dallas, Texas

Hi Jesse,

I was considering buying that listing even though I knew it's iffy history because the seller swore up and down that there were no issues with it.  He claims he got it repaired and tested by the Audio Wizard, who he then talked up extensively.  Here is his number, maybe he can troubleshoot this atrocity:     480-946-7164

Nov 7, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #100 of 101
Quote:
Do you still have the Blue Hawaii headphone amp?
I just bought one from ebay per the link below, and is having overheat problem on V-3. It will generate loud hiss sound after 15-20 minutes of listening.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130778269067?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Just wonder where can I get it repaired?
How can I get hold of the person made it?
Thanks!
Jesse
Dallas, Texas

I hear there are pro bono Stax hospitals in Iceland. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back