Colorado High-Fi Meet 7/25/09 Impressions
Aug 1, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #77 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was also blown away by RSA'a predator. Ray brought one over to my table just to show me how that tiny little thing could bring out the WOW in my modded Pioneer SE305's. I don't know how anybody can squeeze all that power into such a small package. Ray aslo had this little PC board hooked up that looked like a prototype of some sort. I got some PICs but did not Post the detailed ones as to not give away any trade secrets.

I couldn't believe that little 2 inch circuit board was an amp. It sounded great with the R10s.

Aug 1, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #78 of 100
None of you got to hear the EHHA!

I made a bit of an error in a component value, and the amp shouldn't even have been working - but it was, as a pale shadow of itself. Don't hold what you heard against the amp or designer, it was purely the builder to blame.

I'll update soon in the EHHA thread.

Aug 1, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #79 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I made a bit of an error in a component value, and the amp shouldn't even have been working - but it was, as a pale shadow of itself. Don't hold what you heard against the amp or designer, it was purely the builder to blame.

Aaah..Damn shame Bill...well now that we know what went wrong with the build (simple fix).

It should make those K1000s sing like something else now.

Aug 1, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #80 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know it's a bit unglamorous compared to other setups, but has anyone listened to the HD800's directly from the Apogee's headphone jack (or from the rear balanced-outs)? I'm thinking that the Mini-DAC's warmer 1/4" output may synergize well with the top Senns.

I always liked the Apogee better with Grado than Senn, so I never bothered to try the HD800 with it's headphone out.

Aug 1, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #81 of 100
Quote:

I think I tried it with K1000? Didn't have enough power.
tongue.gif

Aug 2, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #82 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I tried it with K1000? Didn't have enough power.
tongue.gif

He had some 47k resistors in the input tube section instead of the 47 ohm ones. A gain of 80dB is ridiculous for an EHHA, especially when I heard the same exact K1000 in SE with an EHHA set at 11 gain and it was doing just perfectly fine.

So once he replaces those resistors, suggest you give them a listen again on the EHHA, cause what you heard at the show was NOTthe EHHA.

Aug 2, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #83 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He had some 47k resistors in the input tube section instead of the 47 ohm ones. A gain of 80dB is ridiculous for an EHHA, especially when I heard the same exact K1000 in SE with an EHHA set at 11 gain and it was doing just perfectly fine.

So once he replaces those resistors, suggest you give them a listen again on the EHHA, cause what you heard at the show was NOTthe EHHA.

I was teasing him - hence the smiley face.
wink_face.gif

Aug 2, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #84 of 100
Thanks everyone for coming, I had a great time. Big thanks to Asr for putting together the meet, Larry for putting up with me, and Ray for the ribs.

I thought I'd heard all the headphones I'd ever need to hear but once again a Head-Fi meet changed that.

I think the most noteworthy products that were at this meet were the Westone 3 IEMs with the P-51 Mustang. Most IEMs I think as something only to replace the stock earbuds that come with MP3 players and not something worthy of comparison to full size headphones. The Westone 3 does not sacrifice sound quality for size.

The HeAudio Jade was new to me but it's among the best electrostatic earspeakers I've heard including the HE90, SR-007, and SR-404 LIMITED all of which were at this meet.

The last shock to me was the Qualia 010. It looks a lot like the MDR-SA5000 but it's not just another Sony, it's a shame these were sold for only a short period of time.

Aug 2, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #85 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was teasing him - hence the smiley face.
wink_face.gif

Sachu gets a bit defensive of his baby
wink_face.gif
It' s deafeningly loud now. And very sweet - I just got it up and am waaaay to tired to listen critically, but I'll fire her up in the AM.

Looks like we'll have to have a minimeet to rematch!

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #86 of 100
Quote:

Sachu gets a bit defensive of his baby
wink_face.gif
It' s deafeningly loud now. And very sweet - I just got it up and am waaaay to tired to listen critically, but I'll fire her up in the AM.

Looks like we'll have to have a minimeet to rematch!

Oh goodness. Our little society is going off the rails. First normal minimeets, then a 'stat minimeet, now a K1000 amp minimeet?

I could not be more excited. If we can wait until mid August, I should have a surprise ready
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #87 of 100
The EHHA is more than just a K1000 amp. Let's do a Saturday BBQ followup meet before summer's out. But enough threadjacking...

Aug 2, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #89 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks everyone for coming, I had a great time. Big thanks to Asr for putting together the meet, Larry for putting up with me, and Ray for the ribs.

I thought I'd heard all the headphones I'd ever need to hear but once again a Head-Fi meet changed that.

I think the most noteworthy products that were at this meet were the Westone 3 IEMs with the P-51 Mustang. Most IEMs I think as something only to replace the stock earbuds that come with MP3 players and not something worthy of comparison to full size headphones. The Westone 3 does not sacrifice sound quality for size.

The HeAudio Jade was new to me but it's among the best electrostatic earspeakers I've heard including the HE90, SR-007, and SR-404 LIMITED all of which were at this meet.

The last shock to me was the Qualia 010. It looks a lot like the MDR-SA5000 but it's not just another Sony, it's a shame these were sold for only a short period of time.

I agree - Naamanf sold his O2 Mk1 to keep his HE Audio 1.2b which sounded better on his Blue Hawaii (at least to everyone at the 2/14/09 Colorado meet). I have his O2 Mk1 for times when I want a more laid back sound with deeper soundstage, but the Jade are very engaging and transparent with rich forward mids, powerful bass and clean highs.

And the W3 with UM56 tips and P-51 has been my favorite universal IEM setup for months, before I switched to high-end customs.

Aug 2, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #90 of 100
Quote:

The EHHA is more than just a K1000 amp. Let's do a Saturday BBQ followup meet before summer's out. But enough threadjacking...

Maybe we should do that at Blutarsky's house, at the north end of Colorado Springs. I'll ask him about it when he is back in town.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back