Color Screens: Overated?
Jul 2, 2005 at 7:31 AM Post #31 of 44
Personally, I'd never need a color screen GUI on my DAP's(although constant backlight support on my Spirit would be very nice), but what I would like is a backlit color screen for use with a GPS firmware add-on/upgrade that would come with an antenna nub interface thingy that once plugged into a DAP, boots up to a GPS network automatically. IMO, that would be the best thing to happen to DAP's since the popularization of 20GB hard drives and UMS Compliance. I think that idea could also apply to portable Satellite Radio, but who knows...

Really, what could be better than having a buttload of good tunes and the piece of mind of knowing where you are in the same compact device? Well, besides a compact DAP that makes twinkies, Cup Noodles, and fresh cooked lobster, and big gulps of Dr. Pepper magically appear?

5000smile.gif
Abe

Jul 2, 2005 at 9:12 AM Post #33 of 44
Is it just me or does ipod photo's screen gets scratched WAY easier than a ipod mono colour one?

Also ipod photo to me weighs like a tonne more because of the constant attention that is required from damaging it....for the "normal" ipods i can be more rugged with them...

just my 5c
580smile.gif

Jul 2, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #36 of 44
If you don't like the color screen, then don't look at it.

That goes along the same absurd line of reasoning as those who say, "Who needs a color screen, it's not like I'm staring at it all day." But I do agree though that except for the iPod and maybe a few other DAPs I haven't seen, adding color means also adding more clutter to the screen, such as weird boxes and gradient backgrounds and other things like that that make the GUI unsightly and less easy to read.

Jul 2, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taphil
except for the iPod and maybe a few other DAPs I haven't seen, adding color means also adding more clutter to the screen, such as weird boxes and gradient backgrounds and other things like that that make the GUI unsightly and less easy to read.

But the geeks love it, and will fanboy it to the death
tongue.gif

Jul 2, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #38 of 44
Theres no way you can compare this to a TV or a computer though.

TV's and computer monitors were designed to be read off, so it's obvious they should be colour. a DAP is primarily designed for music, so why would they focus on stuff like a colour screen? They should find ways to make the output stronger and better eq's

Jul 2, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #39 of 44
Meh, I'd take Sony's new black and white OLED display over a color screen any day, just for geek appeal! lol

I'd say color screens are a natural evolution and ipod implementing them in a new "generation" just shows that they are running out of ideas on how to improve their player. For me, color is completely irrelevant to how good a player is. The quality of the screen itself is what I look at.

Jul 2, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
Meh, I'd take Sony's new black and white OLED display over a color screen any day, just for geek appeal! lol

I'd say color screens are a natural evolution and ipod implementing them in a new "generation" just shows that they are running out of ideas on how to improve their player. For me, color is completely irrelevant to how good a player is. The quality of the screen itself is what I look at.

You can see the iPod screen in daylight.

Jul 3, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #41 of 44
I love my iPod Photo's screen, especially when compared to my old 4G iPod. Having a color screen is cool, but what's more important to me is resolution - the iPod Photo's screen is of higher resolution, so more information can be displayed on-screen (6 lines of text as opposed to 5 on the older iPods, IIRC).

Even better than that is my mobile, with a 320x240 color display (QVGA) ... yum!

(As a side note, I usually wear polarized sunglasses and haven't had any difficulty with either device, whereas my watch (Casio, monochrome) is hard to see with them)

Jul 4, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #42 of 44
I don't find the color screen hard to read at all in daylight. I think the only reason its for me is because I leave the screen protector film on until I get my case so my screen won't get scratched up.

Next Invention: DAP with Cable/HDTV
biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2005 at 1:11 PM Post #43 of 44
I left the plastic film on the screen of my Spirit, it's nice to know that'll get scratched for a while before the actual screen does(at least, that's what I hope it does). And yeah, I think it does make the screen darker, due to particle buildup and scratches on the plastic film. I'd take mine off, but not until I can find a suitable case, Zen Xtra sized, that has a plastic window for my screen.
biggrin.gif
Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back