Cologne-fi
Oct 12, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #16 of 436
Quote:

Originally Posted by mofonyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only one,

Higher Energy - Christian Dior

Hey, that's pretty interesting... That's the exact scent that got me interested in cologne, even though I never did buy it. Nice clean mixture of grapefruit and outdoor notes.

One scent that was amazing during the summer was the recently released Creed Virgin Island Water. If you like coconut, rum, and tropical notes, it's your scent. Like other Creed colognes, it smells very organic.

I dig Creed's 1933 unisex cologne, Angelique Encens. My body chemistry works well with light musk fragrances, so the mixture of angelica with musk and spice smells great. Sort of mysterious.

But, my favorite scents are probably from the Italian cologne maker Lorenzo Villoresi. His stuff smells extremely complex, with a lot of evolution during the drydown. Check out Piper Nigrum. It's almost edible!

Oct 12, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #17 of 436
currently i'm liking kenneth cole reaction

i also like lacoste red from time to time

usually the more citrus-y or fruity smelling ones over the woody scents for me

Oct 12, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #18 of 436
...Jack Black Liquid Magnetism!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jack Black Signature 'Black Mark' Eau de Parfum Spray Stir; don't shake: one part rare kashmir saffron. Small dash of fresh coriander. Mix in: one part warm red cedar. Accent with: rich, aromatic leather. Savor the warm sensuality.
smily_headphones1.gif

I like the Jack Black because it's very subtle and unique. Women tell me it's very pleasing and not overpowering like many men's colognes. Not to mention that you won't smell like every other guy out there.
cool.gif

Also give 'Hana Mori' a try. It goes on a bit stronger, so use less. I like the woodsy/citrus scent...it's a nice contrast to the milder Jack Black.

Go get'em tiger!
wink.gif

RIDE

Oct 12, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #19 of 436
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, that's pretty interesting... That's the exact scent that got me interested in cologne, even though I never did buy it. Nice clean mixture of grapefruit and outdoor notes.

You must have a sharp nose, I don't smell grapefruit.

Was picked by me and approved by mom and my cousin.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #20 of 436
Interesting thread. I have been using Calvin Klein ONE for probably a year if not more. Its a good every day perfume, but I'd like to get something nice for going out and special occasions.

Oct 13, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #21 of 436
The quick-reply feature is getting buggy...
frown.gif

Oct 13, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #22 of 436
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting thread. I have been using Calvin Klein ONE for probably a year if not more. Its a good every day perfume, but I'd like to get something nice for going out and special occasions.

Creed Green Irish Tweed or Hugo Boss Baldessarini.

I have Boss Baldessarini, and it's what I put on for those special occasions or going out at night. Very masculine scent, wonderful with a suit or tux - it has that classy smell that's perfect for it - and heads and shoulders above most of the generic fragrances out there. Rather powerful, though, so watch how much you spritz.

Hugo Boss Baldessarini link here.

Along with Boss B, I have Alfred Sung Paradise - fruity, with a papaya top note. Great for summer, not so great for fall and winter. It just clashes with the season.

Currently testing Penhaligon's Opus 1870 - very interesting scent: "Spiced black pepper with an accord of English clove roses amidst warm woods and musk." Goes on spicy.
icon10.gif

Also REALLY interested in Creed Green Irish Tweed, Penhaligon's English Fern.

Oct 16, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #24 of 436
Here are some tips for people who are just starting to get into colognes. Start by looking around on Basenotes. Try typing in a cologne you know well, then look for recommendations from the reviewers. Often, they'll recommend something even better, or completely different.

Once you've found an interesting cologne, try a sample decant. These used to be sold on eBay, but since they were banned (only on eBay), all of the best sellers decided to team up and start their own website, The Perfumed Court. The fragrances there are guaranteed to be authentic, and they have a humongous selection.

Expand your scent palettes! Don't just buy stuff from the mall!
wink.gif

Oct 21, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #26 of 436
I wonder what this stuff smells like ...
blink.gif

I'm finishing off a bottle of Kenneth Cole Reaction and need a new scent .. anyone recommend something similar?

I like the "clean, citrus, light" scents as opposed to a musky scent.

Oct 21, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #27 of 436
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtkversion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder what this stuff smells like ...
blink.gif

I know what you're thinking... And there's actually a market for that stuff. See: Etat Libre d’Orange's "Sécrétions Magnifiques." *barf*

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtkversion
I'm finishing off a bottle of Kenneth Cole Reaction and need a new scent .. anyone recommend something similar?

I like the "clean, citrus, light" scents as opposed to a musky scent.

If you liked the watermelon top notes in Reaction, you may like Creed's Millésime Impérial. It's a bona fide classic; P. Diddy pretty much ripped it off for his own fragrance (but don't let that stop you). That one will depend on personal preference and body chemistry, though. It's tough to do a light citrus scent well, from what I can tell.

I liked Dior's Higher Energy for the grapefruit and juniper notes, but it's not especially complex, and it seems to be fading into obscurity. On the plus side, very few people are wearing it.
tongue.gif

Another option offhand... Lorenzo Villoresi's Uomo. One that I've been meaning to try for a while. It's Villoresi's own favorite scent, apparently very fresh in a green way.

If all else fails, most people who liked Reaction also liked Armani's Acqua di Gio.

Also consider sending a message to the people at the Perfumed Court. They've smelled many more scents than I ever will, so they could give even better recommendations. Just tell them your likes/dislikes and the occasion (i.e. business, day wear, hot date, etc.).

Oct 22, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #30 of 436
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dont want to show off, but...

Let's see... You must love fresh/cool-smelling stuff.
smily_headphones1.gif

Azzaro Chrome, ck one Electric, Davidoff Cool Water, Estee Lauder Pleasures (isn't that a feminine scent?), Armani... Code, or just a really dark Mania bottle?

You'll have to fill us in on the rest. Some of those look familiar, though. Which is your favorite?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back