College! (Tips, Discussion, Ideas)
Aug 5, 2015 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Nusho

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone

Im heading off to college in Chicago in the coming weeks, and I was wondering whether you guys had any tips that I should keep in mind. Perhaps inspired from your college years, stories of friends, or observations; what should I keep in mind, be warned about, and definitely do?

Also, any wild college year stories are completely welcome!

Nusho

Aug 7, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #2 of 12
From what I've heard about living in residence (I'm a commuter) you'll have a great time, create some great bonds... but I've also heard there's a lot of boredom... which I guess it what creates those college antics.

Aug 9, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #3 of 12
Be prepared to take notes well and study hard!

It is important to really understand the topics and ask questions if you really don't understand.

When studying for exams, do it with your classmates so that more minds together can help solve problems.

If you have a laptop, be sure to buy a laptop cable lock.

Aug 9, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 12
Tons of advice could be given but if you're serious about and liking what you are studying then focus (be dedicated). Let me also say find your way. The latter applies to the whole going to college time. I think this one is best to be left freely interpretable by you.

Aug 9, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #6 of 12
Most colleges have a "welcome week" where freshmen move into the dorms prior to the start of classes. Are you participating in something like that? That's a great way to get to know your roommates and to make friends with others in your dorm. My advice is that during that first week, when you hear someone say: "We're going for pizza/burgers/sushi/etc" - go with them! If you aren't explicitly invited, just invite yourself by saying "I'm coming too!"

Once classes actually start, one of your primary challenges is going to be balancing social & academic time. My second advice is to make school priority #1 - ALWAYS. When you have free time, have fun! But when you have work to do - DO THE WORK!! When I was in college (a loooong time ago!) I saw many kids (including my roommate) who prioritized social activities ahead of school work. That made them very, very popular, right up until they left school due to failing grades. My roommate joined several clubs, went on every social activity and stayed-up many nights into the wee hours of the morning. I probably went to only half the social activities he did. I still had a great time and made plenty of good friends that I still have today.

I graduated. He didn't. :wink:

Aug 9, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #7 of 12
ya, try to meet as many new people & hang out a lot during the first week. people are all really open then as everyone feels new/excited & everyone is trying to make friends the first week.

in terms of studying, really just depends what you want to do. if doing something competitive with hard required courses, balance out your course-load by taking known easy classes on subjects that you are interested in. realistically, most of the knowledge you learn in classes in college will not really be applicable to your future job, but college is often the place where you learn how to think and get the basic fundamentals of your future field. Some career paths really take your GPA into account, but usually those things are just used as a screening tool. Networking, recommendations, relevant experience, and especially interviews is what a company ends remembering and choosing people based on. Always ask for a lot of different perspectives. Upperclassman doing similar things as you will have solid advice and tips on how to approach things, but not everyone's method will work for you. take the classes seriously enough to do well, but don't miss out on the rest of the opportunities that college offers. part-time jobs, clubs, volunteering opportunities, parties, and conversing with people with vastly different backgrounds. Those experiences often helped me discover what I was passionate about more so than lectures. Exploring different things is the best part about college.

Aug 11, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #8 of 12
Awesome! Maybe I'll see you at meets. See http://www.head-fi.org/t/777139/official-chicago-august-8-2015-impression-thread/60#post_11827463 for more details.

My main advice concerns physical safety. I'm not trying to worry you, but you might have heard about the rise in crime here.

Absolutely, stay out of dangerous neighborhoods. Some colleges are, however, located in bad parts of town. If so:

Don't hang out outdoors off-campus after dark.
Travel with a group of friends or acquaintances.
Keep your phone in your pocket, not in your hands.
Be aware of your surroundings: don't wear headphones / IEMs. :xf_eek:

Wishing you success and best luck!

Aug 12, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #9 of 12
  Tons of advice could be given but if you're serious about and liking what you are studying then focus (be dedicated). Let me also say find your way. The latter applies to the whole going to college time. I think this one is best to be left freely interpretable by you.

Agreed. Part of the reason I chose a college in Chicago instead of where I live is precisely this. By throwing myself into a new environment with new people, I hope ill figure out what I stand for, my best qualities, and my deepest faults.

Most colleges have a "welcome week" where freshmen move into the dorms prior to the start of classes. Are you participating in something like that? That's a great way to get to know your roommates and to make friends with others in your dorm. My advice is that during that first week, when you hear someone say: "We're going for pizza/burgers/sushi/etc" - go with them! If you aren't explicitly invited, just invite yourself by saying "I'm coming too!"

Once classes actually start, one of your primary challenges is going to be balancing social & academic time. My second advice is to make school priority #1 - ALWAYS. When you have free time, have fun! But when you have work to do - DO THE WORK!! When I was in college (a loooong time ago!) I saw many kids (including my roommate) who prioritized social activities ahead of school work. That made them very, very popular, right up until they left school due to failing grades. My roommate joined several clubs, went on every social activity and stayed-up many nights into the wee hours of the morning. I probably went to only half the social activities he did. I still had a great time and made plenty of good friends that I still have today.

I graduated. He didn't.
wink.gif

Thats a great story, thanks for sharing! I will definitely keep it in mind. Yea we do have a welcome week, and I will definitely be sociable!
  ya, try to meet as many new people & hang out a lot during the first week. people are all really open then as everyone feels new/excited & everyone is trying to make friends the first week.

in terms of studying, really just depends what you want to do. if doing something competitive with hard required courses, balance out your course-load by taking known easy classes on subjects that you are interested in. realistically, most of the knowledge you learn in classes in college will not really be applicable to your future job, but college is often the place where you learn how to think and get the basic fundamentals of your future field. Some career paths really take your GPA into account, but usually those things are just used as a screening tool. Networking, recommendations, relevant experience, and especially interviews is what a company ends remembering and choosing people based on. Always ask for a lot of different perspectives. Upperclassman doing similar things as you will have solid advice and tips on how to approach things, but not everyone's method will work for you. take the classes seriously enough to do well, but don't miss out on the rest of the opportunities that college offers. part-time jobs, clubs, volunteering opportunities, parties, and conversing with people with vastly different backgrounds. Those experiences often helped me discover what I was passionate about more so than lectures. Exploring different things is the best part about college.

If I PM you, would you mind telling me stories about some of the experiences youve had and how they helped you discover your passions?
Awesome! Maybe I'll see you at meets. See http://www.head-fi.org/t/777139/official-chicago-august-8-2015-impression-thread/60#post_11827463 for more details.

My main advice concerns physical safety. I'm not trying to worry you, but you might have heard about the rise in crime here.

Absolutely, stay out of dangerous neighborhoods. Some colleges are, however, located in bad parts of town. If so:

Don't hang out outdoors off-campus after dark.
Travel with a group of friends or acquaintances.
Keep your phone in your pocket, not in your hands.
Be aware of your surroundings: don't wear headphones / IEMs.
redface.gif

Wishing you success and best luck!

I hope I get time to go to some of the meets! And definitely thats my biggest concern -- safety. Since you live in Chicago, I want to ask about the general vibe of the city. Because of the weather extremes, ive heard that people there are generally uncomfortable ( take a bunch of uncomfortable people and put them in poverty, and perhaps the crime rates can be explained). Yet ive heard it isnt uptight or cold like the environment in New York.
And darn on the IEMs :/

Aug 12, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #11 of 12
I hope I get time to go to some of the meets! And definitely thats my biggest concern -- safety. Since you live in Chicago, I want to ask about the general vibe of the city. Because of the weather extremes, ive heard that people there are generally uncomfortable ( take a bunch of uncomfortable people and put them in poverty, and perhaps the crime rates can be explained). Yet ive heard it isnt uptight or cold like the environment in New York.

The general vibe is busy / hurried but not rude / nasty the way New York is. It's still somewhat blue collar / industrial--and proud of it.

I had rather not discuss the causes of crime in detail here (the very short version is I attribute it to the declining influence of churches in poor communities). The summer is more dangerous here because more people are outdoors = increased potential for violent confrontations. Follow simple precautions and you should be fine.

Aug 13, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #12 of 12

By throwing myself into a new environment with new people, I hope ill figure out what I stand for, my best qualities, and my deepest faults.

Exactly. Way to go. Take your time, enjoy, relax, observe. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back