College Student Food
Apr 17, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #16 of 35
If it were 4-5 people, that would be fine, but all the students staying in summer housing will be in 2 dorms. There are about 80ish students i think, and 4 floors, which is about 20 people per floor. There is one community fridge per floor, maybe one per dorm. I decided i need a fridge. If I am going to buy one its going to be one that is worth storing ( I go to college near boston, I live in LA). I was thinking about buying this one, it seems to suit my needs+ I can have icecream!

Emerson 2-Door Compact Refrigerator : Target

Apr 17, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #17 of 35
Oh in that case I would get myself a decent sized fridge or see if I could rent one. There's no way that many people can use one fridge unless it's a ridiculously sized one. The only downside to not having a big fridge means you have to go shopping more often and probably go food shopping once a week or more depending on how you do things.

Either way your budget is definitely a safe amount. You may spend more when you first start cooking depending on what you make but it will definitely not be too costly once you get the hang of cooking and know what you to make. Cooking is definitely a good skill to have.

Apr 17, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #18 of 35
If that many people are likely to be sharing the community fridge, I'd definitely invest in a little one for myself for things you really don't want getting 'borrowed'. My sister shared a community fridge with about 80 students and we ended up getting her a small personal fridge and microwave for her room so she wouldn't have to deal with that.

Apr 17, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #20 of 35
Peanutbutter and strawberry preserves on whole grain bread
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #26 of 35
I spend about $10 a week on food- all day, every day I eat ramen and drink water. I usually have about 4-6 packs a day at $.19 each. On the weekends I eat frozen pizzas and stuff back at home.

So yeah, I'm a smart eater ($10 a week= $90 free money
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Apr 18, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #28 of 35
Well, i would go that route, but if I really need the nourishment to do 60+ hours of research. Plus, I want to see my grand kids grow up.

Apr 18, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #29 of 35
didnt I see this same thread on SA?

um, 100 a week is a very large budget. I live alone and I make do on easily ~$20-30 a week for groceries

rice cooker would be a good investment as well as a larger fridge. frozen vegetables are your friend, as well as rice and beans. Learn a few recipes, especially rice cooker (pressure cooker) dishes.

SOURCE: I am also a grad student and I will probably be doing the same thing as you
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back