coffee gadgets...
May 29, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #181 of 668
I would go with an electric grinder.
The only fellow I know with a hand-powered grinder uses it when he goes camping.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone with experience with the Zassenhaus Hand Coffee Grinders?

Espresso Zone - Hand Coffee Mills

Which is better, the counter top one or the knee one?

Was wondering if they would be worthwhile. I tend to only drink a cup or so of coffee at a time. I'm more of a casual coffee drinker.

Or should I go with the Solis?

-Ed

Jun 1, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #183 of 668
I think I've settled on getting the Capresso Infinity Burr Grinder from Costco. And an Aeropress to start.

Any recommendations for a good French Press. Preferrably one that's easy to clean?

I was thinking of using one of those Zojirushi Hot Water Dispensing Pots rather than an electric kettle.

-Ed

Jun 1, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #184 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since this is a thread about "coffee gadgets" I don't think I'm going off topic when I ask, "What kind of coffee do you guys drink" (I mean brand).

I enjoy roasting Jamaican Blue Mountain beans. I am also starting to think about blending beans from different areas but have not gone down that path yet. I am also looking for a good bean for espresso.

Jun 1, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #185 of 668
I just use a Bodum French Press, and I love it. It has numbers inscribed on the side of the glass jar for water and on the metal frame for grounds, so that I can make 3, 6 or 9 cups of coffee with it. I have no problem cleaning it out. I disassemble the plunger assembly and throw the glass jar in the dishwasher or rinse it out.

Jun 1, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #186 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiBurning /img/forum/go_quote.gif

..........Everyone says roasting makes a lot of smoke, so it's not smart for an apartment dweller. Especially with all those smoke detectors......

There can be smoke if you roast the beans much beyond Full City. I am of the opinion that the flavor is lost beyond this point. I have only set my alarms in the house off once when I was trying an unfamiliar profile and let my attention lapse for a few moments. While smoke is rarely a problem there is a distinctive smell that is let off during roasting that is not the familiar coffee brewing smell. It can be unpleasant to some. An open window helps with a fan. The taste is worth it though.

Jun 1, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #187 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There can be smoke if you roast the beans much beyond Full City. I am of the opinion that the flavor is lost beyond this point. I have only set my alarms in the house off once when I was trying an unfamiliar profile and let my attention lapse for a few moments. While smoke is rarely a problem there is a distinctive smell that is let off during roasting that is not the familiar coffee brewing smell. It can be unpleasant to some. An open window helps with a fan. The taste is worth it though.

This is at odds with my experience.
There has always been a bit smoke here and there and not something, you want to use in a house etc.
Same holds for a roast master I know. Oh well.

Jun 1, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #188 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I enjoy roasting Jamaican Blue Mountain beans. I am also starting to think about blending beans from different areas but have not gone down that path yet. I am also looking for a good bean for espresso.

You might want to try some good Columbian beans.
Price differential aside, the taste differential might be of interest to you.

For espresso, I would suggest a blend...maybe some Yemen as a base.

Jun 1, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #189 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by no1likesme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ever since I broke my french press I have been using a moka pot

You give up too easily. I broke 3 chemex hourglasses, my fourth is slightly cracked, and #5 is sitting in a box just waiting. Not sure it's worth it at $40 a pop. (pun intended) Might be better off with a Technivorm.

Jun 1, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #190 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by diogenes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might want to try some good Columbian ...maybe some Yemen as a base.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 5, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #191 of 668
Quote:

Any recommendations for a good French Press. Preferrably one that's easy to clean?

The best French Press I've owned is made my Swissgold, it has a finer mesh plunger then the Bodum and thus less sludge in the cup.

Quote:

I was thinking of using one of those Zojirushi Hot Water Dispensing Pots rather than an electric kettle.

I'd say neither honestly, unless it's stainless steel, most kettles and dispensers are plastic, plastic imparts a terrible taste in coffee and tea. Furthermore most have trouble reaching the optimum 190-200° F (87-93°C) temperature range.

The best bet is just a small stainless steel sauce pan (that's all I use anymore) or a stainless steel kettle if you can find one.

Jun 8, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #193 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say neither honestly, unless it's stainless steel, most kettles and dispensers are plastic, plastic imparts a terrible taste in coffee and tea. Furthermore most have trouble reaching the optimum 190-200° F (87-93°C) temperature range.

The best bet is just a small stainless steel sauce pan (that's all I use anymore) or a stainless steel kettle if you can find one.

I think Mark Prince from Coffeegeek uses a Zojirushi dispenser. I use a plastic kettle and have not found any problems with any unwanted tastes. (the aeropress is plastic too) I've found that using filtered water makes quite a difference.

Jun 10, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #194 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by diogenes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For espresso, I would suggest a blend...maybe some Yemen as a base.

At wholefoods they have a delicious expresso blend in bulk, type nothern Italy, medium roasted. It tastes so well! A pound is 11.99.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back