coffee gadgets...
Nov 28, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #166 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's my latest coffee geek acquisition:

sm.behmor.jpg

It's a Behmor 1600 roaster.

I've only had it for a couple of weeks, but so far I love it!

It'll do up to a pound at a time, but I pretty much restrict myself to 1/2# roasts. It does a great job and there very little smoke. I haven't set off my smoke detector once!

My wife likes flavored roasts. Not added syrup but some of the coffee roasters add hazelnuts or other flavor enhancing materials into the roast to flavor the beans. Can you do this with a home roaster?

Nov 28, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #167 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's my latest coffee geek acquisition:

sm.behmor.jpg

It's a Behmor 1600 roaster.

I've only had it for a couple of weeks, but so far I love it!

It'll do up to a pound at a time, but I pretty much restrict myself to 1/2# roasts. It does a great job and there very little smoke. I haven't set off my smoke detector once!

cool! very cool indeed. i've been using my iroast2 for almost two years now and have been surprised that it's actually lasted this long...i secretly hope that it kicks the bucket soon so that i can invest in a new roaster. the behmor is one on my list...as well as some other drum roasters.

Nov 28, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #168 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmk005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My wife likes flavored roasts. Not added syrup but some of the coffee roasters add hazelnuts or other flavor enhancing materials into the roast to flavor the beans. Can you do this with a home roaster?

I wasn't aware of anyone flavoring their roasts that way, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to.

I would be a bit concerned about putting things that could catch fire into a roaster though... roasters I know of operate at some fairly high temps.

I suppose that with some judicious experimentation you could find out whether it's feasable or not without doing too much damage...

Nov 28, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #169 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cool! very cool indeed. i've been using my iroast2 for almost two years now and have been surprised that it's actually lasted this long...i secretly hope that it kicks the bucket soon so that i can invest in a new roaster. the behmor is one on my list...as well as some other drum roasters.

It's gonna be hard to beat the Behmor, especially at $299! Most of the vendors I know of are also throwing in a bunch of beans and free shipping too...

I started out with a FreshRoast just a couple of months ago, I was amazed at how much better coffee is when its roasted fresh!

Nov 28, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #170 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmk005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The flavouring is added after the coffee is roasted. You can buy bottles of the stuff online: example

Feb 12, 2008 at 11:06 AM Post #172 of 668
I run a Rancilio Silvia and Rocky (doserless)

silviabenchir3.jpg

(not my photo. i dont own a camera, and even if i did i couldn't take a nicer photo than this one! photo rehosted but taken from here)

In time I'll PID it to make it a little easier to use, but frankly i can make a better coffee with it than i've ever had from a cafe (and i've been to a lot of good cafes)

i'll also update the grinder someday, but i'm in no huge hurry

Feb 13, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #173 of 668
Hugz, any chance you're a snob as well?

Nice setup though, those two machines are a solid combo. Have you considered the bottomless (with La Marzocco triple basket) direction before the PID? They're a half step up in awkwardness but worth it for the taste and that little bit more romance factor...

Feb 24, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #176 of 668
I've been experimenting with coffee for the past few months. Started with the supermarket pre-ground stuff and worked my way round to the not-so-freshly roasted Whittards beans.

I bought a Solis Maestro grinder and started ordering freshly roasted beans from Hasbean here in the UK. I also recently acquired an Aeropress, which is great for a quick small fix of coffee when I'm too lazy to clean out my french press.

Grinding freshly roasted beans just before brewing makes such a difference. I don't think I can go back to drinking Nescafe Gold Blend or even any of the pre-ground supermarket stuff. Next: home roasting and espresso.

Feb 26, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #177 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by jules650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been experimenting with coffee for the past few months. Started with the supermarket pre-ground stuff and worked my way round to the not-so-freshly roasted Whittards beans.

I bought a Solis Maestro grinder and started ordering freshly roasted beans from Hasbean here in the UK. I also recently acquired an Aeropress, which is great for a quick small fix of coffee when I'm too lazy to clean out my french press.

Grinding freshly roasted beans just before brewing makes such a difference. I don't think I can go back to drinking Nescafe Gold Blend or even any of the pre-ground supermarket stuff. Next: home roasting and espresso.

nice progression! you'll really love it when you start home roasting...it's the DIY of the coffee world with all the DIY perks - cheaper, more variety, experimentation, and high on the cool-factor.

too bad you're in the UK b/c there's a great online coffee buying club here in the states at greencoffeebuyinglub.com, where it's cheap enough to experiment with a lot of different origins. let us know how it goes!

May 28, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #179 of 668
I have a countertop model and I used it successfully for a while. They make a nice grind, I just got tired of hand grinding. I finally broke down and got a Capricio (sp?) burr grinder. Costco has them for a decent price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back