coffee gadgets...
Nov 3, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #151 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by ALBPM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like I'm the only one that "Cold Brews" their coffee....
biggrin.gif

I've been "Cold Brewing" my coffee for over 15 years now using a Toddy Cold Brew setup.

http://www.toddycafe.com/shop/product.php?productId=67

Like the story says - You get all the flavor and very little of the acids and other oils that hide the true flavor. This does make coffee taste like it smells.

This is our favorite coffee lately....Costa Rican Tarrazu
http://www.cw-usa.com/coffee-beans-v...rrazu-5lb.html

I usually order a 5 lb. bag of the Tarrazu and a 5 lb. bag another for variety.

My favorite coffee joint back in college made coffee that went down like acidic motor oil.
smily_headphones1.gif
I often miss the oil since switching to a chemex, which is why I also got a melita. Still, cold brewing sounds intriguing. Must give it a try.

My favorite coffees these days are from Costa Rica and Nicaragua.

5 lbs? I hope you either roast it yourself or drink it by the gallon. Roasted coffee starts to lose it in a few weeks. I'm still hoping to find a convenient place to get fresh roasted coffee beans, but it's hard to find them. I hear occasional rumors about such places in the Lower East Side (Manhattan) or the Village, but whenever I go to one it's the same old burlap bags sitting for who knows how long. Just signed up with a mail order coffee club. Hope the post office accomodates.

Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you say good coffee and microwave in the same sentence?

Blasphemy!
evil_smiley.gif

Guilty! Sometimes it just comes out cold, especially since I use so much milk. Seems to happen with the melita more than the chemex. I'm also guilty of making too much and putting some in the refrigerator for later. Still beats starbucks. Truth is, it often gets dumped for fresh.

Nov 3, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #152 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiBurning /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My favorite coffee joint back in college made coffee that went down like acidic motor oil.
smily_headphones1.gif
I often miss the oil since switching to a chemex, which is why I also got a melita. Still, cold brewing sounds intriguing. Must give it a try.

My favorite coffees these days are from Costa Rica and Nicaragua.

5 lbs? I hope you either roast it yourself or drink it by the gallon. Roasted coffee starts to lose it in a few weeks.

The cold brewed coffee has around 67% less acid than coffee brewed with heat.

So, what are the best methods for storing roasted beans????

I've tried keeping them in the freezer but excess moisture from the thawing beans makes a mess in the grinder.

Nov 3, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #153 of 668
Quote:

The cold brewed coffee has around 67% less acid than coffee brewed with heat.

So, what are the best methods for storing roasted beans????

I've tried keeping them in the freezer but excess moisture from the thawing beans makes a mess in the grinder.

i'm not a big fan of freezing beans. there's the extra moisture and there's also the chance of freezer burn.

just keep the beans in an airtight container, preferably away from direct sunlight. beans retain their freshness for only about 2 weeks, so use them quickly!

Nov 3, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #154 of 668
Home roasting is so easy that there's really no reason NOT to try it yourself. You don't even have to buy any equipment up front -- you can roast it in an air popcorn maker in a few minutes. If you like it (and believe me, you will) you can move up to a proper roaster. It's like head-fi
wink.gif

Personally, I think roasted coffee beans really go downhill after about a week. I usually do a couple of roasts per week, so I always have fresh stuff. After you roast, you need to wait a day (or overnight) for it to degas carbon dioxide, or it affects the taste of the coffee. One of the benefits of this is that you may be able to find a good company that roasts daily and ships the same day, which means the coffee will be at its peak if you receive it the next day. For espresso, you don't usually want absolutely fresh coffee, as the crema will dissipate way too quickly.

Aside from the obvious freshness benefits, roasting your own coffee means you can try all sorts of different types, and even make your own blends. Green beans are also much cheaper than pre-roasted, so you can drink the good stuff for the price of the cheap stuff!

Nov 3, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #155 of 668
Quote:

5 lbs? I hope you either roast it yourself or drink it by the gallon. Roasted coffee starts to lose it in a few weeks. I'm still hoping to find a convenient place to get fresh roasted coffee beans, but it's hard to find them. I hear occasional rumors about such places in the Lower East Side (Manhattan) or the Village, but whenever I go to one it's the same old burlap bags sitting for who knows how long. Just signed up with a mail order coffee club. Hope the post office accomodates.

Have you checked out Gorilla Coffee in Brooklyn? They roast their own beans, and they always have a big crowd so you know the beans move. I bought some today at their store that were roasted yesterday (Nov 2). Gorilla Coffee beans are also available fairly fresh at Whole Foods stores in NYC. I am not sure of other micro-roasteries existing in NYC, but its probably just a matter of finding them.

Nov 4, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #156 of 668
Quote:

Have you been thawing them properly? You're supposed to split the beans up into portions (i.e if you use a 1lb a week, put in that much per container). When you plan to use the beans, take them out of the freezer and leave on the counter or something (without opening the container) for a couple hours. You should never re-freeze beans.

Nov 4, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #157 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Home roasting is so easy that there's really no reason NOT to try it yourself. You don't even have to buy any equipment up front -- you can roast it in an air popcorn maker in a few minutes. If you like it (and believe me, you will) you can move up to a proper roaster. It's like head-fi
wink.gif

Personally, I think roasted coffee beans really go downhill after about a week. I usually do a couple of roasts per week, so I always have fresh stuff. After you roast, you need to wait a day (or overnight) for it to degas carbon dioxide, or it affects the taste of the coffee. One of the benefits of this is that you may be able to find a good company that roasts daily and ships the same day, which means the coffee will be at its peak if you receive it the next day. For espresso, you don't usually want absolutely fresh coffee, as the crema will dissipate way too quickly.

Aside from the obvious freshness benefits, roasting your own coffee means you can try all sorts of different types, and even make your own blends. Green beans are also much cheaper than pre-roasted, so you can drink the good stuff for the price of the cheap stuff!

well said!
smily_headphones1.gif

freshly roasted coffee - a day or two old - will often have a lot of "bloom" during the brew. if you use a press pot you'll notice that it bubbles a lot, kind of like a soda. that's all the co2 in the fresh beans.

i've been buying 5-15 lbs. of green beans from greencoffeebuyingclub.com at $3-5/lb. mostly good stuff, too.

Nov 7, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #158 of 668
Must try whole foods. It's convenient enough I could shop there regularly.

Best way to store roasted beans is vacuum sealed in a jar, but you need to first give it a couple days for the CO2 to escape. This is why you see those buttons on the plastic bags--they let the CO2 escape, but don't let air back in--not vacuum sealed, but less air to make it rancid. There's some tricks with vacuum sealers, like making a pin hole in a mason jar lid and covering it with tape. Actually, vacuum is the second best since the vacuum we can make at home is lame. What's that brand of ground coffee in a can that costs like $14? I think they pack it in an inert gas.

Everyone says roasting makes a lot of smoke, so it's not smart for an apartment dweller. Especially with all those smoke detectors.

Anyone doing Turkish or vacuum pots or anything else weird?

Nov 7, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #159 of 668
Quote:

Anyone doing Turkish or vacuum pots or anything else weird?

Couple pages back you'll see my recommendations on Turkish coffee
smily_headphones1.gif
I used to get my Turkish coffe and Ibirk from Natasha's cafe.

I used to vacuum brew, but the cloth filters for my Yamma pot became harder and hard to find, then the spring contraption fell apart. Yamma pots can be modified to use an old antique Corey glass rod but I had a good press pot so I never bothered.

Nov 7, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #160 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to vacuum brew, but the cloth filters for my Yamma pot became harder and hard to find, then the spring contraption fell apart. Yamma pots can be modified to use an old antique Corey glass rod but I had a good press pot so I never bothered.

Sweetmarias sells replacement cloth filters that fit the Yama brewers. You can order one pack of 5 at a time for $6. I'm pretty sure you could also get a replacement spring part.

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #161 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweetmarias sells replacement cloth filters that fit the Yama brewers. You can order one pack of 5 at a time for $6. I'm pretty sure you could also get a replacement spring part.

Cool it's been quit a while since I looked, last I knew there stock was depleted and they weren't able to get anymore. The only other place I could find them at the time was a place in Hawaii called Coffee Bean Corral

Nov 27, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #163 of 668
Anyone purchased the Keurig single cup drip makers? My parents were sporting the B70 at Thanksgiving and I enjoyed the convenience of it and the coffee was good too. I tried both the K-cups and using my own grind in an adapter. I preferred a fine grind for stronger results.

Nov 27, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #164 of 668
I think all of you coffee snobs are crazy
tongue.gif

Here's what I use.
dtl_grx.jpg

And you know what? I use the burnt Kirkland Signature coffee beans from Costco and grind them up to insane fine powder and try to get the most caffeine I can possibly get.

Nov 27, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #165 of 668
Here's my latest coffee geek acquisition:

sm.behmor.jpg

It's a Behmor 1600 roaster.

I've only had it for a couple of weeks, but so far I love it!

It'll do up to a pound at a time, but I pretty much restrict myself to 1/2# roasts. It does a great job and there very little smoke. I haven't set off my smoke detector once!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back