coffee gadgets...
Oct 28, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #136 of 668
Crap, that would be bad. I am asian, and I do have a dislike for beer and poor water. I still haven't written out off I'm too used to sugary coffee.

Oct 28, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #137 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a related-note, how are you supposed to use flavored syrups? I bought some torani awhile back, and I could never get it to taste right.

Typically you add about 1 ounce to 1.5 ounces to your mug of coffee (depending how sweet you want it) I personally think there better in espresso drinks.

Also you can make an Italian soda with the syrup if you have plain soda water, add some of the syrup to a glass of plain soda water and ice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using the Yama vacuum brewer a lot recently. Vacuum brewers are worth the price just because they are insanely fun to use. They also make extremely good coffee
biggrin.gif

I used to use a Yama pot too, and they produce really good coffee. My problem is there filter system, the replacements are hard to find. Easily correctable if you can find an old Corey glass rod.

Oct 29, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #138 of 668
Do you (or anyone) have experience with Monin syrups? I've heard good things about the brand, I want to try the gingerbread/pumpkin spice/spice berry flavors.

Quote:

I personally think there better in espresso drinks.

I've only had syrups in fast food espresso drinks (D&D, SBucks), and agree. I kinda wish they sold a standalone milk-steamer for cheap. (Not those fake milk mountain things)

Oct 29, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #139 of 668
Wow... I think I am a super taster... almost all those foods are things that I dislike!

That explains a lot...

Oct 29, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #141 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you (or anyone) have experience with Monin syrups? I've heard good things about the brand, I want to try the gingerbread/pumpkin spice/spice berry flavors.

I used that brand a few times, not those particular flavors though, but I'm sure they would be good. Also the coffee house in South Florida I used to go to (The Roasted Bean) uses Monin syrups, there espresso drinks where always good.

Oct 29, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #142 of 668
Nice, I might try to order some later. I just came back from the market and bought some smuckers caramel and dark chocolate (which I bought incorrectly... I thought I grabbed the dark choco and mint).

Nov 1, 2007 at 8:57 AM Post #143 of 668
I'm not a huge fan of syrups. Amateurs tend to be, well, amateurs and overuse them; the really good coffee places tend to snob them and 'punish' you for 'tainting' a perfectly good cup of coffee. Consequently, I'm yet to find anybody that really seems to know how to use them properly, all I really seem to get is a cup of warm, milky [caramel, irish cream, vanilla, etc] with foam on top and an indication that somewhere, nearby, a coffee was made.

I know its not good to judge without first trying but the idea of pumpkin with coffee kinda scares me.

The closest I come to syrups with coffee is making a cup of peppermint tea at the same time as an espresso and alternating between the two as I drink, and when I had chocolate coated coffee beans in a container that I didn't completely wash out after it contained peppermint leaves: it smelt quite tremendous.

Nov 2, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #144 of 668
Looks like I'm the only one that "Cold Brews" their coffee....
biggrin.gif

I've been "Cold Brewing" my coffee for over 15 years now using a Toddy Cold Brew setup.

http://www.toddycafe.com/shop/product.php?productId=67

Like the story says - You get all the flavor and very little of the acids and other oils that hide the true flavor. This does make coffee taste like it smells.

Here's how it works -
http://www.toddycafe.com/customerser...structions.php

I brew mine for 24 hrs and end up with 2 quarts of concentrate. This lasts my wife and I about 1 to 1.5 weeks. The nice thing is you can make it as strong or weak as you like and you can quickly make a single cup in about 3 minutes.

I just pour a couple ounces of concentrate in my cup, top with water and microwave for about 2 minutes.

My setup is not too complicated....LOL!!
toddy.jpg

I did finally have to bite the bullet and buy a commercial grinder since I grind a pound at a time. After burning out several different grinders I ended up buying a commercial Bunn grinder.....
cw-usa_1973_4843807

This is our favorite coffee lately....Costa Rican Tarrazu
http://www.cw-usa.com/coffee-beans-v...rrazu-5lb.html

I usually order a 5 lb. bag of the Tarrazu and a 5 lb. bag another for variety.

Nov 2, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #145 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daveze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not a huge fan of syrups. Amateurs tend to be, well, amateurs and overuse them; the really good coffee places tend to snob them and 'punish' you for 'tainting' a perfectly good cup of coffee. Consequently, I'm yet to find anybody that really seems to know how to use them properly, all I really seem to get is a cup of warm, milky [caramel, irish cream, vanilla, etc] with foam on top and an indication that somewhere, nearby, a coffee was made.

If they are used correctly they can be a nice addition to a coffee drink, granted I'm not a professional barista nor have I worked in an exclusive coffee house. I have seen some places IE: Starbucks try to dilute there god awful resteamed milk and burnt beans with syrup, now that is indeed a very bad drink, but if you go to a good coffee house that micro roasts there beans and use quality syrups (IE:natural flavors, not artificial junk) in moderation then a good drink can be had. If a person is a purist then they should stick with black coffee.

Nov 2, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #146 of 668
Well, I just bought some flavored creamer because it was cheap ($2ish), and it's not too bad. The only issue is that it's not very concentrated, so you have to put at least two tbsp and some sugar in to get it decent. (which really adds up in the calorie dept) If you've ever tried D&D's flavored coffee, you'll know what to expect.

I know, it's not real coffee, but I don't seem to enjoy real coffee (drip/press) for some reason.

Nov 2, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #147 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by ALBPM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just pour a couple ounces of concentrate in my cup, top with water and microwave for about 2 minutes.

Did you say good coffee and microwave in the same sentence?

Blasphemy!
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 3, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #149 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Blasphemy!
evil_smiley.gif

nice!
smily_headphones1.gif

i end up microwaving some coffee at the end of the day b/c there's some leftover in the carafe and i hate wasting coffee...but i would never say it's GOOD coffee!
icon10.gif

Nov 3, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #150 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Blasphemy!
evil_smiley.gif

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Yes, I did!!! And it is not the same as re-heating coffee previously brewed or prepared using hot water (filtered or pressed). Once coffee prepared with heat gets cold and reheated it tastes like mud.

My sister in-law who is a real connoisseur -roasts and grinds her beans- was shocked at how good the cold brewed coffee heated in the microwave tasted.
I prepared some Costa Rican Tarrazu with my French press and the cold brewed Tarrazu for her to try. She had three cups of the cold brewed and ordered a Toddy filter setup when she got home from her visit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back