coffee gadgets...
Oct 23, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #121 of 668
I have my own Moccamaster (seems to be called Technivorm in the US though?) at work, because the 'official' coffee there tastes like poison. Really.

At home I have a Macap MC4 ( http://www.1st-line.com/machines/home_mod/macap/MC4.htm ) grinder that is great, use it mostly to do french press though. Can't afford a decent espresso machine yet, so many other things to buy!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #122 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome, thanks ku!

If this and the new batch from Intelly don't pan out, I'm just gonna claim tin tongue and go back to D&D.
blink.gif

Maybe this is a stupid question, but have you ever had a cup of coffee that tasted good to you?
If you're in an area with a decent coffee shop, the question of whether you can differentiate between cheap, low quality coffee and nice beans brewed properly is an empirical one that should be reasonably easy to answer...

Oct 23, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #123 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremynwolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're in an area with a decent coffee shop, the question of whether you can differentiate between cheap, low quality coffee and nice beans brewed properly is an empirical one that should be reasonably easy to answer...

To be honest, I'm not sure. Perhaps I'm simply not cut out for real coffee. Still, I really want to give it a shot.

Oct 23, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #124 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by martook /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have my own Moccamaster (seems to be called Technivorm in the US though?) at work, because the 'official' coffee there tastes like poison. Really.

At home I have a Macap MC4 ( http://www.1st-line.com/machines/home_mod/macap/MC4.htm ) grinder that is great, use it mostly to do french press though. Can't afford a decent espresso machine yet, so many other things to buy!
smily_headphones1.gif

i use a Moccamaster at home, too. great machine (and my wife thinks it looks cool!
biggrin.gif
)

that's a really cool looking grinder, too. i use a mazzer mini that i've had for almost two years now. it's probably my favorite piece of equipment that i've bought in the last two years...i love it more than any of my headphone equipment, macs, golf clubs, etc. i love my grinder!

Oct 25, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #125 of 668
I finally got your beans today, Ku. It still tastes similar to my other beans, except much less bitter. (And there is a bit of a "bite" at the end) The problem must either be my technique, equipment, tongue, or all of the above. How would you describe them (taste-wise) via press? I'm gonna keep modifying my technique, and I need something to compare.

(And once again, thanks for beans!)

EDIT: I thoroughly cleaned my press and kettle a few days ago, but I haven't done so with my grinder. Perhaps Baratza sent it to me tainted? Oh, and would it be alright to use uncooked jasmine rice to clear out the inside? (I should of ordered some grindz with the grinder...)

Oct 25, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #126 of 668
Quote:

I finally got your beans today, Ku. It still tastes similar to my other beans, except much less bitter. (And there is a bit of a "bite" at the end) The problem must either be my technique, equipment, tongue, or all of the above. How would you describe them (taste-wise) via press? I'm gonna keep modifying my technique, and I need something to compare.

EDIT: I thoroughly cleaned my press and kettle a few days ago, but I haven't done so with my grinder. Perhaps Baratza sent it to me tainted? Oh, and would it be alright to use uncooked jasmine rice to clear out the inside? (I should of ordered some grindz with the grinder...)

sorry it's not to your liking. i roasted them medium (full city/full city+) so they're much lighter than your intelligentsia. i didn't taste this roast so i don't know what that bite is...i just roasted a new batch of the nicaraguan so i'll taste it tomorrow or friday and report.

could it just be that you don't like the taste of this kind of coffee? it sounds like you don't know what to expect, but what you do get is not what you want. there are some good cafes in boston...go to one and order a plain coffee. black. then tell us what you think...

other than that, i don't know what else to say. hmmm...

Oct 25, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #127 of 668
I think you're right. I also think I just may be unexperienced. The more I drink, the more I get used to it... but I've still yet to discover the actual "flavors". (The ones that in the bean descriptions) And your roast is actually better than the ones I have, I was able to drink an entire cup (sans the sludge) without ill effects.

I actually haven't been to Boston in awhile... probably won't for a long time.

Oct 25, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #129 of 668
Quote:

I think you're right. I also think I just may be unexperienced. The more I drink, the more I get used to it... but I've still yet to discover the actual "flavors". (The ones that in the bean descriptions) And your roast is actually better than the ones I have, I was able to drink an entire cup (sans the sludge) without ill effects.

I actually haven't been to Boston in awhile... probably won't for a long time.

take the stated flavors with a grain of salt. while i do believe that the palette can be trained and learn to distinguish subtle flavors, i often laugh at the flavors that people say they taste in coffee. while i do taste things like "chocolate" or "tobacco" or "citrus," etc. in different cups, it's often very subtle. my favorite is when someone said they tasted "meyer lemon" in a certain cup...meyer lemon?!?! how can someone tell it's meyer lemon as opposed to a regular lemon? i call BS. but then again, it's not unlike this forum where people say they hear minute differences between one lossless vs. another lossless
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #130 of 668
I wish I could taste made-up flavors.
smile.gif

I'm getting used to the coffees, but I still have a hard time "enjoying" them... perhaps a little milk or sugar? I've read that some people have a hard time tasting the nuances unless there are additives. Perhaps I'll try it tomorrow.

Oct 27, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #131 of 668
Quote:

If the grinder is suspect Umex makes a product called Grindz, I'm not sure about cleaning it with rice.

Quote:

I wish I could taste made-up flavors.
smile.gif

I'm getting used to the coffees, but I still have a hard time "enjoying" them... perhaps a little milk or sugar? I've read that some people have a hard time tasting the nuances unless there are additives. Perhaps I'll try it tomorrow.

I know the purists out there hate the idea of sugar and or cream, but I quit liked the edition of a decent Half and Half or full coffee cream, I wouldn't suggest using a dairy free creamer as most have artificial junk and oils that wreck a good cup of coffee.

Oct 27, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #132 of 668
Well, I tried today. Made the coffee bland and somewhat nasty. I guess the whole coffee thing isn't working for me. I'm just not cut out for this OG-style stuff.

On a related-note, how are you supposed to use flavored syrups? I bought some torani awhile back, and I could never get it to taste right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back