coffee gadgets...
Oct 1, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #61 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have found that ceramics tend to hold temperature quite well.

If you take hot coffee out of a French Press and pour it into a ceramic mug from the cupboard, you instantly lose some heat.

I have found it helpful to pour hot water from the sink into my ceramic mug while I'm waiting for the coffee to be prepared.

I also do this (actually, the opposite, for ice cream and iced Cafe Americanos). I place the bowl or my cold coffee cup in the freezer for 5 minutes before putting in ice cream or iced coffee (don't want it watered down with too many ice cubes).

Heh I forgot to put that in my instructions above, I always warm my mugs also. When I pour water into the French Press, I pour it into the mugs as well. I leave it in the mugs till right before I'm ready to pour the first cup.

I also do the same thing with the espresso cups, I pull a blank shot to warm up the portafilter and cup.

Oct 1, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #62 of 668
RobR,
You gotta link to your "wake-up call" machinery? It looks awesome and I can't make out the model.

Oct 1, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #63 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
kirosia, these are both very good instructions. your french press will make much hotter coffee than any home brewer (except the technivorm and newco brewers that get the water to the right temp.). if you pre-heat your press and thermos (and mug), your coffee will be very hot - much hotter than you can stand
wink.gif

I may still get the Columbia just for the (from what I hear) easier cleanup. When I make drip, I pre-heat pretty much everything but the stirring spoon, and it's not hot enough. I did buy a thermometer, but I could only find the cheap one with an analog face. Now all I need to do is stop being a punk and order the damn grinder (SMP) and press. (beans will come later)

Oct 1, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #64 of 668
Yeah, stop being a punk and support your unlocal volcanic island! They need love too.

Oct 1, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #65 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may still get the Columbia just for the (from what I hear) easier cleanup. When I make drip, I pre-heat pretty much everything but the stirring spoon, and it's not hot enough. I did buy a thermometer, but I could only find the cheap one with an analog face. Now all I need to do is stop being a punk and order the damn grinder (SMP) and press. (beans will come later)

yeah, most drip machines just won't get water hot enough. add to that the loss in temperature along the path and by the time it hits your lips, it's lost a ton of heat. the only two i know of that get water to the intended 195-203F target are the technivorm and newco machines. the technivorms are on sweetmarias.com. while the newco doesn't look anything special, it makes a really good cup. i've tested the water temp coming out of the showerhead and it's around 200F. the coffee in the carafe was measured in the 170s range, which is very hot. the 8-cup carafes are also glass-lined and they keep coffee hot for a long time. while i love my new technivorm, i would have been happy using the newco on a daily basis, too.

Oct 1, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #66 of 668
Actually, I use ye olde "Kettle and Cone" for drip. (With stale preground though, so it tasted like ass regardless) I like the technivorms, but they're too expensive and I'm pretty sure I'd somehow crack the glass in two weeks.
tongue.gif

Oh, is good fresh coffee (press, drip) as good as they say? I just need that final push... I'm tired of buying calorie-laden D&D. I plan on trying some Intelligentsia once I buy the setup.

Oct 1, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #67 of 668
Quote:

I did buy a thermometer, but I could only find the cheap one with an analog face. Now all I need to do is stop being a punk and order the damn grinder (SMP) and press. (beans will come later)

Analog is the best, digital thermometers suck IMHO, there not instant read, so it takes longer to get an accurate reading. Also look for an analog thermometer that you can calibrate, they get out of adjustment after a while of use and sometimes out of the package there quit off.

Quote:

Oh, is good fresh coffee (press, drip) as good as they say? I just need that final push... I'm tired of buying calorie-laden D&D. I plan on trying some Intelligentsia once I buy the setup.

Yes it is! Just make sure to use good fresh beans preferably from a micro roaster, and make sure to get a good grinder, coffee goes stale about as soon as it's ground. The only down side, you will have a hard time drinking anyone else's coffee ever again
biggrin.gif
so if you go to a friends bring a thermos.

Oct 2, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #68 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes it is! Just make sure to use good fresh beans preferably from a micro roaster, and make sure to get a good grinder, coffee goes stale about as soon as it's ground. The only down side, you will have a hard time drinking anyone else's coffee ever again
biggrin.gif
so if you go to a friends bring a thermos.

x2. kwkarth here got me into home roasting...and i got three of my buds into it as well. while the initial investment isn't cheap, after about 10 months or so (depending on how much coffee you consume) you pay for the cost of the roaster with how much you save buying green beans.

Oct 2, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #69 of 668
I've been looking at home roasting (Freshroast looks nice), but I'm not sure I can justify considering how little coffee I drink. I only consume about 6-12oz a day, if that. Also I live in an apartment... though do we have a stove fan.

Oct 2, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #70 of 668
Quote:

I've been looking at home roasting (Freshroast looks nice), but I'm not sure I can justify considering how little coffee I drink. I only consume about 6-12oz a day, if that. Also I live in an apartment... though do we have a stove fan.

yeah, home roasting would be hard in an apartment that doesn't have access to a balcony. lots o'smoke. i go through about 2 lbs./month so at $5/lb. versus the $12.50/lb. i had been spending at peet's, i save about $15/month. i paid for my roaster in 10 months...

Oct 2, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #71 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, home roasting would be hard in an apartment that doesn't have access to a balcony. lots o'smoke. i go through about 2 lbs./month so at $5/lb. versus the $12.50/lb. i had been spending at peet's, i save about $15/month. i paid for my roaster in 10 months...

I probably go through 2oz of coffee in a week (at most), so it wouldn't be very good for me... yet. If I ever get into espresso like you guys, I'd consider getting the roaster to save money. *sigh* If only I could justify an espresso setup... (I'm not really fond of the current "budget" offerings though, I need something with the build quality of a Silvia and the steaming power of a Solis SL-70. Grinder would be a macap or mazzer.)

EDIT: I ordered a Maestro Plus refurb from Baratza about two hours ago, hope I don't get buyer's remorse.
tongue.gif

Oct 2, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #73 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats, nice grinder
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks! I'm going to order the Bodum Columbia press once the grinder ships out. (I'm weird, don't ask)

Oct 3, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #75 of 668
Quote:

I probably go through 2oz of coffee in a week (at most)

2oz in a week
confused.gif
? Is that a typo? I spill more than that in one consumption
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back