coffee gadgets...
Sep 29, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #241 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by david21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vietnamese coffee press/filter is all I need
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm addicted to the Vietnamese ice coffee!

Cookware - Single Cup Vietnamese Coffee Maker

It's my most favorite drink.
Miss it so much when I came to the States
frown.gif

Sep 30, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #242 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's my most favorite drink.
Miss it so much when I came to the States
frown.gif

Why not buy one of those contraption and make viet iced coffee yourself?

All you need is the $4 contraption, french roast coffee, and condensed milk
smily_headphones1.gif
It's really simple to make

Sep 30, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #243 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by blubliss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I just found this thread and am glad to find a hidden gem of knowledge about espresso in the Head-Fi community.

I just moved from the Rancilio duo to this:

VIVALDIII.jpeg

La Spaziale Vivaldi II Single Group Dual Boiler

and this:

M4R.jpg

MACAP M4 Stepless Adjustment Espresso Grinder

and I have a Hottop Roaster.

We (me and the 10-15 guys who use the machine) are very happy with them. Our shots are consistently great now. It was a little more difficult with the Rancilio.

We get our green beans wholesale from Royal Coffee and it only costs about $2.75 a pound but you have to buy 130 lbs. That lasts us like 6 months. We just got an awesome Ethiopian bean.

Just thought I would say hi.
icon10.gif

cool coffee gadgets! i've been doing less espresso these days and more drip/press coffee, but i appreciate a good machine when i see it.

you might want to look into the green coffee buying club, where you can get 10-20 lbs. at a time and try different origins rather than having to get a whole sack yourself...

Sep 30, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #244 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by david21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not buy one of those contraption and make viet iced coffee yourself?

All you need is the $4 contraption, french roast coffee, and condensed milk
smily_headphones1.gif
It's really simple to make

I've just put an order on Trung Nguyen Online: Vietnamese Coffee and Tea.

When I was in VN, I always made a cup of iced, milk coffee everyday. Really really addicted to it. One point is that the cost to make a cup here is far more expensive than in VN
redface.gif

Sep 30, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #245 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you might want to look into the green coffee buying club, where you can get 10-20 lbs. at a time and try different origins rather than having to get a whole sack yourself...

Yes, thank you very much. I saw that site in this thread and have already checked it out. I'm pretty sure I will be getting involved there. It's nice to have a variety.

Oct 13, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #249 of 668
those are some nice toys, raymodlin. i love the zassenhaus grinders and am always on the lookout for a used one at garage sales...you never know
wink.gif

so my iroast2 is officially dead. the power base had a short somewhere and doesn't fire up...i contacted hearthware to see if they do repairs, but they only do sales. i can purchase just the base for $120 or a brand new unit for $145. i'm not sure what to do...i may try to fix the base myself, but that won't happen for another month because of work and travel...but i'm also thinking of getting a behmor instead. hmmm...

Oct 13, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #250 of 668
Kugino,

Got my wife a Technivorm KBT 741 for xmas a couple years ago She loves it as do I. Our previous pot was a Starbucks Utopia electric vacuum coffee maker. It was fun, but it eventually died on us. So I went out coffee maker hunting and did my research. The Technivorm KBT 741 is the best drip coffee maker that I've ever encountered.

Coffee beans by Peets usually. Caribou coffee beans sometimes. I'd like to get into roasting my own, but my wife refuses to indulge my fancy (something about chaff and smoke and fires and expense).

Got a good coffee pot and decent beans anyway.

Cheers!

Oct 13, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #251 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by yashicaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kugino,

Got my wife a Technivorm KBT 741 for xmas a couple years ago She loves it as do I. Our previous pot was a Starbucks Utopia electric vacuum coffee maker. It was fun, but it eventually died on us. So I went out coffee maker hunting and did my research. The Technivorm KBT 741 is the best drip coffee maker that I've ever encountered.

Coffee beans by Peets usually. Caribou coffee beans sometimes. I'd like to get into roasting my own, but my wife refuses to indulge my fancy (something about chaff and smoke and fires and expense).

Got a good coffee pot and decent beans anyway.

Cheers!

yeah, that KBT 741 is a great machine. i owned one...until about a month ago when i finally decided to sell mine. i actually prefer the newco line of brewers (there's a big discussion on them at coffeegeek and greencoffeebuyingclub) that have automatic shutoff features. they get the water to the proper temperature, as hot as the technivorms...probably the only two groups of home brewers that do that. it was sad selling my technivorm, but it wasn't being used so it had to go
frown.gif

i'm a big fan of peets...major dickason's is one fantastic blend, and i don't usually like blends! about the coffee roasting...the expense is not as much as you'd think...and compared to buying peets every month, it will save you money in the long run. something to think about
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #252 of 668
the capresso mt500 hits the right bew temp as well. it isn;t as cool looking as the technivorm, but it works well. i also have a superautomatic, several french presses, the tudeau upside-down presses, a toddy, a vac pot (and a vintage sunbeam electric one), an aeropress, an ibrik, several moka machines, and a gene cafe for home roasting. i am a bit carried away and my wife has declared a moratorium on coffee mugs/cups!

i like darker roasts, fc+, and go for the earthier coffees, new guinea, sumatra, but also like some central americans. i do not like high acid coffees, and am not a big fan of the africans. i hate sour flavors in real life, and don;t go for tart, tangy coffees as a rule.

i order from burman coffee in madison, wi, and the captains coffee in nc, along with the ocasional buy from sweet marias.

hope that's not too much info-- but love coffee while i listen.

regards,

mark

Oct 14, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #253 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by fzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the capresso mt500 hits the right bew temp as well. it isn;t as cool looking as the technivorm, but it works well. i also have a superautomatic, several french presses, the tudeau upside-down presses, a toddy, a vac pot (and a vintage sunbeam electric one), an aeropress, an ibrik, several moka machines, and a gene cafe for home roasting. i am a bit carried away and my wife has declared a moratorium on coffee mugs/cups!

i like darker roasts, fc+, and go for the earthier coffees, new guinea, sumatra, but also like some central americans. i do not like high acid coffees, and am not a big fan of the africans. i hate sour flavors in real life, and don;t go for tart, tangy coffees as a rule.

i order from burman coffee in madison, wi, and the captains coffee in nc, along with the ocasional buy from sweet marias.

hope that's not too much info-- but love coffee while i listen.

regards,

mark

hey mark, nice selection of toys as well! i'm curious about your disdain for high acid coffees...while it's true that the africans tend to have higher acidity scores, it's not to be confused with sourness or tanginess or tartness. in my experience high acidity relates to brightness of the cup more so than sourness...

i recently got 10lbs of one of the panama gesha auction lots and while i'm still figuring out what the best roast level is for this bean, there's a beautiful citrus attack to this origin that's quite unique. i'm a big african fan (love the fruitiness of the kenyans) but am trying to venture out into s./c. america and indonesia...

anyway, i was able to take apart my iroast2 last night...and after putting it all back together, it now works! roasting some harrar right now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #254 of 668
Hey all, need a little advice. I recently moved from the Pacific Northwest to South Texas. In terms of coffee this is like going from listening to K1000's to free airplane headphones!

As such I think it best to start roasting at home and would like some suggestions at where to start. It the Behmor dificult to learn and who is a trusted company to buy it from/lowest price? Or is there another roaster that would be better to cut my teeth on so to speak? If so what?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back