coffee-fi
Apr 19, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #241 of 425
Quote:
Ooh, yet another gear-fi thread made for me that I have somehow missed for a long time.

I have an Expobar Brewtus II (known as the Minore in some markets, and something else again in the UK).

Nice Nice!  If I were ever to get a semi-automatic machine it would most likely be in the Brewtus line.

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #242 of 425
only talking about COFFEE itself, not gadgets or preparation or milk/sugar etc.

were talking brands/varieties within same brand, or just 'types' for lack of a better word.

Costco COLUMBIANO Supreme - fresh roasted and ground in store. Best I've had.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #243 of 425
Quote:

Starbucks is mostly filled with Macbook wielding crowd who seem to be glued to their seats. I've been to starbucks probably thrice, and do not wish to go there again.

Oh, and their Tea is the worst I've had. Especially in Asia, where you can find better tea in small tea shops for less than a third of the price.

I've certainly had worse...if I have a layover for a flight in Kuala Lumpur, it's a welcome sight even though it's not my fave.

Apr 29, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #245 of 425
Quote:
If I had a layover in KL, I'd walk straight past S'bucks and head straight for a teh tarik and roti canai every single time.

Teh tarik is nice, I also like Teh O', Kopi O' and Ipoh White Coffee (you can also get them in Sg).

Jul 14, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #246 of 425
Ooh, yet another gear-fi thread made for me that I have somehow missed for a long time.

I have an Expobar Brewtus II (known as the Minore in some markets, and something else again in the UK), mini mazzer grinder, espro tamp, naked bottomless portafilter etc. I get my Coffeelab beans couriered to me twice a week on their roasting days, and occasionally try out the single origins stuff they bring in.

Agree with others that Starbucks have their place, exactly like choosing between McDonalds and a steakhouse for eating a burger. I feel bad for those of you in the US though if Starbucks is truly in the top 5% of coffees there as someone suggested above, it isn't remotely close to that here in New Zealand.

I hate to burst your bubble but Starbucks is definitely in the top for New Zealand as well. Nestle and Nescafé account for 80% of the coffee consumption market share in New Zealand. Unless the remaining 20% is comprised primarily of ultra high quality boutique/small scale roasters Starbucks is likely in the top 5% for Kiwis too.

Back to coffee-fi though, bravo on the impressive home espresso setup! I've long had my eye on the Expobar's but just don't have the counter space and enjoy my fully manual lever machine too much; the Brewtus would be excellent for entertaining guests though, my machine is only good for three shots at most before it overheats and cooks the shots.

Jul 15, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #247 of 425
Quote:

Starbucks is mostly filled with Macbook wielding crowd who seem to be glued to their seats.

Or iMac wielding
wink_face.gif

Jul 16, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #249 of 425
Quote:

were talking brands/varieties within same brand, or just 'types' for lack of a better word.

Oh! I just found this thread and I'm shaking with excitement! Err.... at least i think it's excitement.... could just be the caffeine....

It's all about the sweet beanie taste of a good light roast. Supermarket morning blend beats the pants off of the uberdark starbucks house blend as far as im concerned. Gotta make sure you dont overgrind or over soak either!

Cheers

Jul 18, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #250 of 425
Quote:

I like to pretend you didn't say this. 

Jul 21, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #251 of 425
I'm a big fan of https://amavida.com/shop/new-coffee-test/

Light, citrusy, and clean. Makes an excellent pour over, and an insane siphon. The Ethiopia Idido is technically my all time favorite. It literally tastes like strawberries.

Also, I can vouch for this coffee, I work for the company and prepare/drink it nearly every day :) Message if you're interested, I can probably help out.

As far as non-employed companies go, I also enjoy Red Bird Brazil Sweet Blue. Before Amavida, it was my daily drinker.

Jul 23, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #252 of 425
Hello everyone, 
I just recently "got into coffee". Bought myself a clever dripper, seemed more practical over the pour over and valued flavor clarity over the body of a french press.
Anyways, looking at getting some coffee recommendations. I browsed roughly the first and last 5 pages of the thread and the only coffees (?) that we seconded were the jamacian blue mountains and sweet maria (and dunkin and hortons). I think I can make a trip up to Oakland and get some samples from sweet maria but was wondering if there were any common or well-known recommendations for good coffee.
That's one thing most people don't get. There are good producers and bad producers of anything. Saying a coffee is JBM is like saying a wine comes from the Napa Valley, without specifying the vintner. Could be good wine, could be swill. The best of the JBM goes to Japan, because they're willing to pay top dollar for it.

(This is one reason I like buying from Sweet Maria's - when you buy beans from them, you are getting coffee from a specific producer, be it a farm, a co-op, or whatever. Most places sell coffee in the generic sense, like Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, without specifying the producer. There are dozens of producers in any region, some better than others.)

Does this mean Ethiopian coffees, for example, do not share a similar taste to other Ethiopian coffees or are we just saying that producer X can produce "better" coffee beans than producer Y although both can be considered Ethiopian coffee based on taste and location? 

Jul 23, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #254 of 425
Recently, I've been enjoying my coffee with either Bill Evans' "Israel" or Beck's "The Golden Age".

As for the coffee itself, I take it black
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back