coffee-fi
Oct 8, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #46 of 425
Hey guys, I'm kind of bored here at work, and I could go out for a few minutes and get something. What kind of coffee should I try first? My friend dared me to try the most bitter kind (straight drip?), but I want to come back to work right after, not stay in the bathroom.
tongue.gif

FYI the only "coffee" I've had really so far is that Starbucks mint frappuccino of some sort.

I think my college's coffee station has pretty much every basic kind of coffee, so any recommendations within the next few hours would be appreciated!

EDIT: Just talked to my buddy and he recommended a latte. Should be interesting...

Oct 9, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #47 of 425
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: Just talked to my buddy and he recommended a latte. Should be interesting...

Don't bet hard earned cash on it. Milk is fine but make the coffee count, just sayin.

And we're Swedes here, drinking the most amount of coffee per capita, that's worldwide in recorded history. Simply put we know these things. Yet, you probably won't find a place in Europe more anxious to keep up with the [coffee] habits of the continent. We had our lattee phase. Trust me if just this once, you don't want latte.

Oct 9, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #49 of 425
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Starbucks brewed coffee isn't all that great. Maybe they both taste equally bad?

Agreed. But I have to credit Starbucks for getting me into my wonderful specialty coffee hobby in the first place.

TheMarchingMule just get some regular coffee. If this is it for you, at least taste the actual beverage. A latte is more like a slightly coffee flavoured hot chocolate.

If you really want a flavour kick, do straight espresso!!

Oct 9, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #50 of 425
Guyyys, I got a cold latte or whatever, and it was nasty and bitter as hell. I'm not exaggerating that if I ever need to throw up in the future, I'll just down a whole cup of that stuff.
redface.gif

But it was a college-run cafe, and they gave it to me in a minute, so I'm guessing that the process was anything but "authentic."

Oct 10, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #51 of 425
Quote:

Pansy. Knock off those training wheels and get yourself some straight shots, or at the least shots with a dollop of milk froth. That way, the baristas know there's nothing for them to hide behind and give you the good stuff instead.

Back when I got paid to pull shots, I always saved my best for the drinks I loved to make most i.e. caffe lattes with whole milk at 140 F. Gave me the chance to flaunt my sickest stuff in the cup.

Oct 13, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #52 of 425
I've been a serious coffee addict for the past 2-3 months, and I've been drinking 4-6 cups a day of just black coffee. I usually drink costa rican, and just for giggles, i just bought a 2 pound bag of costco's vanilla nut coffee for $13.

Usually get beans from either Peets, Starbucks, or my local fairtrade coffee shop called Moto..

My friends been trying to get me to drink less by telling me this stuff causes cancer. Are there really mutagens in coffee that can cause cancer? Or is this debunked yet? (the articles that i find from a quick google search dates to 2006... well, :p 3 years, im sure some progress has been made to save the coffee addicts from deprivation of their natural coffee intake)

Oct 14, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #54 of 425
Quote:

Originally Posted by irjoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been a serious coffee addict for the past 2-3 months, and I've been drinking 4-6 cups a day of just black coffee. I usually drink costa rican, and just for giggles, i just bought a 2 pound bag of costco's vanilla nut coffee for $13.

Usually get beans from either Peets, Starbucks, or my local fairtrade coffee shop called Moto..

My friends been trying to get me to drink less by telling me this stuff causes cancer. Are there really mutagens in coffee that can cause cancer? Or is this debunked yet? (the articles that i find from a quick google search dates to 2006... well, :p 3 years, im sure some progress has been made to save the coffee addicts from deprivation of their natural coffee intake)

The quantity of antioxidants is coffee is actually considerable. Caffeine itself isn't a mutagen, though it has other strong effects, both positive and negative.

Oct 14, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #55 of 425
Quote:

Guyyys, I got a cold latte or whatever, and it was nasty and bitter as hell. I'm not exaggerating that if I ever need to throw up in the future, I'll just down a whole cup of that stuff.
redface.gif

But it was a college-run cafe, and they gave it to me in a minute, so I'm guessing that the process was anything but "authentic."

I think you need to start drinking black coffee.

I prefer my coffee black after having coffee at work for the last few years. My co-worker buys his beans green from overseas and roasts them himself, so I've had some fine brews.

In a world where everything is sweetened to the max, it's difficult to drink anything without milk and sugar. If you are able to break yourself from this, you'll be able to enjoy a much larger variety of coffee. I guess it's easier for me since I haven't had mainstream soda in four years. It was difficult and even disgusting for a while but I acquired a taste for black coffee and I love it. Adding anything to it just dilutes the flavor that's there.

With that said, I still enjoy a sweetened latte every now and then.

Oct 14, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #56 of 425
I disagree. I'll drink coffee black if there's no sugar or half-and-half around. I like coffee either completely black or with a tiny bit of cream and loads of Splenda in it (I use six splendas in my four-cup travel mug on average, that's for extremely strong coffee). Most of the time, I just prefer cream and sugar... it tastes better to me, although it does somewhat mask the flavor of the coffee (cream, especially... it's very easy to use too much and ruin the coffee, IMO).

Right now I'm burning through as much Starbucks Anniversary roast as I can while it's available. This stuff is gooood... make it just right, and it's like drinking dark chocolate!

As I posted in the other thread, I highly do not recommend Starbucks's Komodo Dragon Blend. I got a pound of it and ended up throwing away the bottom of the jar because I've had it with that crap. It tastes like low-grade Sumatra that's roasted into oblivion.

Oct 15, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #57 of 425
The only time I've ever added sugar to coffee is in low-end diners and such where it's not worth choking down otherwise. I can certainly understand why people who have only been exposed to instant and heater burned coffee would routinely add sugar to their cup. If you have to do this just to mask the bitterness and get it down, you should be drinking better coffee.

Oct 18, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #59 of 425
I drink coffee black, but I'm a sucker for both sugar and cream when it comes to drip. Nothing beats straight espresso though.

Dec 28, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #60 of 425
Live, thread, live! I found a local coffee shop in my area called "Mill Mountain Coffee", it's in Blacksburg, VA and they have no affiliation with the shops by the same name elsewhere. They source and roast their own coffee, and it's quite good. I was very surprised by how good their in-house coffee was. Normally I reject Starbucks' customary free coffee when I buy their coffee at the store because it's so terrible in the store, but this place's in-house coffee, even their house blend, was tolerable. I bought a pound of their Sumatra and was surprised by its quality. Same price as Starbucks, but for some reason it's just way, way smoother. I am very impressed as this is somewhere between the Starbucks Sumatra and their Anniversary Blend (which they now admit is simply their Sumatra, aged) in quality.

I've never seen another coffee shop like this before. I've also really gotten into a local high-end beer shop in Blacksburg, lately. I must admit, I'm very spoiled by the whole "college town" thing and all of the high-end goods so readily available to me that I have no idea how to get a hold of where my home is in NJ. I'm going to miss this when I leave at the end of this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back