Code monkeys, reveal yourselves.
Feb 15, 2003 at 6:20 AM Post #16 of 40
Sophmore in HS, taken Visual Basic and in C++ right now

Feb 15, 2003 at 6:48 AM Post #17 of 40
I'm in computer science at waterloo.

So I guess I'm a programmer, but not at heart...

Biggie.

Feb 15, 2003 at 7:09 AM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by neil
How about version control and bug stomping?

I'm no pro, but I've used ClearCase. I don't know anything about ClearCase administration. I can't remember what the company I worked for used for bug tracking though. I think it was ddts or something similar. Thankfully I wasn't asked to do bug fixing or testing! Though they did stick me on make file writing/maintaining for about a month. I'd never seen such huge makefiles before...over 4 thousand lines!
eek.gif

Quote:

it being near impossible to clear the ram on that thing.

lol, I remember those days. I had an HP with a 1mb memory card in high school, and my teachers never knew how to clear the thing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2003 at 8:24 AM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by neil
Hey Jatinder, who do you work for, and what types of projects do you work on?

Over the last few years I've mainly been working for investment banks (and one retail bank) and a few internet startups. In the past I mainly used to work for the military.

In terms of projects - I am a "technical architect" and so am supposed to spend my time looking at technologies and designing systems - however, I enjoy coding too much, so I always insist that I get to do the coding as well.

Currently working on a java program which accepts XML Schema and WSDL specifications for SOAP/webservices messages and which can then translate received messages between the various formats used internally by the company I work for (www.egg.com). The real "product" of this program is a class library which eventually can sit inside messaging components and perform automatic format translation of received/sent messages - as well as providing a fast and flexible/dynamic means of representing the contents of messages. Phase II will be to re-write the code for C# and C++ so that we have full platform interoperability as well.

--Jatinder

Feb 15, 2003 at 12:58 PM Post #21 of 40
I work as a software architect but like coding too.
Proficient in Delphi and know Java. I really dont care much about knowing a particular language. My take is that programmming lamguage doesnt matter as long as it doesnt limit you. Its all abt program logic
cheers
RawHit
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2003 at 4:46 PM Post #23 of 40
I program for a living but I don't really program at home much these days.

I'm doing TSL (test script language) which is WinRunner's proprietary C-based scripting language. I don't think it's very good even as a scripting language but I've gotten used to most of the quirks and it pays the bills.

I actually don't mind programming in it or anything else. I like programming a lot. It's the other BS you have to do when you work in the QA department (like trying to convince people that it's difficult to automate testing for incomplete and undocumented code with no expected results).

As for other stuff I've done, I know the basics of Java and used to use it a lot in my last job. I've done a lot of HTML and some JavaScript, XML, ASP, CSS, JSP. If I had my choice about what I was doing (ie, if the job market was better and easier to transition in), I'd try to get a job doing more SQL script and perl script writing as that's the stuff I think is most fun.

Feb 15, 2003 at 7:25 PM Post #24 of 40
I have experience with C, C+, Perl, XML, JAVA, Assembly but I mostly work with a propriatary language developed by the Canadian Military which uses unix-like operating systems as well as 2 propriatary operating system. I was coding a lot last semester helping with a data transfers and trigulatory data calculations with a low orbit array but now I moved away from that system and I am using the data and I pretty much just stare at it now. Cryptographical purposes mainly.

Feb 16, 2003 at 12:43 AM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
I have experience with C, C+, Perl, XML, JAVA, Assembly but I mostly work with a propriatary language developed by the Canadian Military which uses unix-like operating systems as well as 2 propriatary operating system. I was coding a lot last semester helping with a data transfers and trigulatory data calculations with a low orbit array but now I moved away from that system and I am using the data and I pretty much just stare at it now. Cryptographical purposes mainly.

wow.. now that sounds like a job id like!

Feb 16, 2003 at 1:10 AM Post #26 of 40
Which one? The one I was doing last semester? Or this semester? Last semester was lots of fun. I had helped launch a tracking system for endangered animals in the northern parts of Canada and then I landed the job doing similar work but more with triangulation which was a lot of fun...but it was too demanding on my time and the project was getting big so I asked to be taken off the project and switch contracts. The stuff I do now is more mind chanllenging and far more interesting for me...and thankfully, takes up a whole lot less of my time. School being the prime time sapper.

Feb 16, 2003 at 1:34 AM Post #27 of 40
mind challengers keeps the mind active and interesting.. id like to get into anything that require more than straight implementation. A role in a R&D area would be ideal.

Feb 16, 2003 at 8:18 AM Post #28 of 40
I'm not a code monkey, but according to Tyler I've just achieved Space Monkey...

Feb 16, 2003 at 1:03 PM Post #29 of 40
I code in C++. It is difficult for me to use coding and fun in the same sentence. After 29 years, it ain't fun anymore. It's work, and that's that.

I probably get the award for the most boring assignment here. I work on code that sorts mail lists into USPS approved presort order, so people can get a discount on their mailings.

Basically, I help junk mailers save money.
eek.gif

Not only is it a boring application, but I must spend countless hours deciphering government regulations. Here's a sample:

Merged 5-Digit Scheme. Required. Permitted only when there is at least one
5-digit ZIP Code in the scheme with an “A” or “C” indicator in the City State
Product. May contain carrier route packages for any 5-digit ZIP Code(s) in a
single scheme listed in L001 as well as automation rate 5-digit packages and
Presorted rate 5-digit packages for those 5-digit ZIP Codes in the scheme
that have an “A” or “C” indicator in the City State Product. When preparation
of this sack level is permitted, a sack must be prepared if there are any
carrier route package(s) for the scheme. If there is not at least one carrier
route package for any 5-digit destination in the scheme, preparation of this
sack is required at 24 pieces in 5-digit packages, and optional with one
six-piece package or at least one 5-digit package of fewer pieces for the
scheme in L001 under 1.3, for any of the 5-digit ZIP Codes in the scheme
that have an “A” or “C” indicator in the City State Product. For a 5-digit ZIP
Code(s) in a scheme that has a “B” or “D” indicator in the City State Product,
prepare sack(s) for the automation rate and Presorted rate packages under
1.4g and 1.4h. For 5-digit ZIP Codes not included in a scheme, prepare
sacks under 1.4d through 1.4h.

If you haven't had enough, just click on the following link and select Domestic Mail Manual for more fun.
http://pe.usps.gov/

This is why I need to have music playing in my head to stay sane. I wonder if it's working?

Feb 16, 2003 at 3:49 PM Post #30 of 40
My work is done in Java, though I'm also familiar w/ C++, and have a basic understanding of Perl and Lisp. Going to pick up C# when I work up the motivation. Also know basic HTML and SQL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back