Code monkeys, reveal yourselves.
Feb 14, 2003 at 11:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

neil

500+ Head-Fier
Do you code for a living? Do you code just for fun? If you program at all, I want to hear about it. I want to hear about the programming languages in which you are proficient, which ones you want to learn or are learning now, who you work for and what kind of stuff you're working on.

I code in Perl and C++. I primarily work on web-based applications and backends. I enjoy SQL, and long walks on the beach. I'm very interested in Java, Zope and Python, but don't use them in new project development (yet).

May this thread live forever.
biggrin.gif
Actually, what I'd like to do is find out who all of you pro-coders are so we can pick eachother's brains without having to deal with IRC/lists where the psuedo-intellectuals paste "RTFM" as the boilerplate response. Oh yeah, if you belong to any good programming communities online, fill me in.

Feb 14, 2003 at 11:50 AM Post #2 of 40
I program just for the fun of it. I'm fairly proficient in C++, and I'm learning Java(just in the beginning stages).

Personally, it looks as if Java takes the programming out of computer programming. It does everything for you.

Feb 14, 2003 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 40
Mostly do web-related programming:

html/xhtml, css, php, sql, a little javascript.

also some linux shell programming, batch files, basic, and that older stuff

i started learning java a while back but never followed through on it. my current focus is information security so most of my free time of late has been related to that.

Feb 14, 2003 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by jatinder
code for a living.

expert in C, C++ and Java. Lots of experience with SQL, assembler level code, Tcl, etc.

Hey Jatinder, who do you work for, and what types of projects do you work on?

Feb 14, 2003 at 5:23 PM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by NathanJM
my current focus is information security so most of my free time of late has been related to that.

What are some of the tasks you are trying to accomplish in regards to information security? Since you mentioned Linux, have you delved into ipchains/iptables? Or have you ever used PortSentry from Psionic Software?

Feb 14, 2003 at 5:44 PM Post #7 of 40
I'm aspiring to code for a living... gotta get through this little thing called college first
smily_headphones1.gif

I've done some programming work though, mostly C++, some C#. Did some Java at school. In my free time (basically never), my friends and I try to do some game programming with DirectX.

In the past, I dabbled in some web programming -- PHP and ASP. So I'm fairly proficient in SQL as well.

Feb 14, 2003 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 40
I don't code for a living yet. (hopefully I won't!) To be honest I don't really like coding just for the fun of it... I know, not very 1337.
smily_headphones1.gif
I think I'm more of a theoretical guy.

Most of the programming I did before was in C++. Other than that, in my various classes I've had to pick up C, fortran 90/95, java, mips assembly, and some libraries/parallel language extensions like opengl, OpenMP, MPI, etc.

Currently I'm taking a compilers/languages class taught in Ocaml. I really like this language! It's a higher order functional language (recursion, joy!), but it has imperitive features as well. Plus, you get automatic garbage collection, helpful error messages, and it's FAST! Check it out if you get some free time.

Other than that, I'm actually doing most of my work these days in matlab and mathematica. My main interests are machine learning, pattern recognition, and computer vision. Thus, a lot of the stuff is just easier using those packages. The more convenient the better.

I don't do webstuff (anymore) or databases. Too practical.
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2003 at 3:59 AM Post #9 of 40
About the coding I do right now, if you can count it as such, is HTML and CSS. The only language I knew a reasonable amount in was QuickBasic (DOS). I also learned some C, C++, and Pascal but never used them much at all. The most complex thing I ever wrote was a text editor in QuickBasic (2500 lines of code, IIRC).

Feb 15, 2003 at 5:31 AM Post #11 of 40
Ah yes, the almighty graphing calculator. I have fond memories of writing Ti-83 Basic during high school. But I'd have to say, the Ti-89 programming language reigns supreme.
smily_headphones1.gif

(And the calculator itself, for that matter. The integral function alone is a lifesaver.)

Feb 15, 2003 at 5:44 AM Post #12 of 40
Very cool, guys. Do any of you guys code in groups, or in pairs? How about version control and bug stomping? We use Bugzilla locally to keep track of all of our issues. Anyone here belong to any open-source projects?

Feb 15, 2003 at 5:56 AM Post #13 of 40
I code for a living I guess...but really, its just getting me through school. I used to code heavily but this contract is more about staring at numbers, I mean that quite literally, I stare at numbers a lot.

Feb 15, 2003 at 6:02 AM Post #14 of 40
Sure, the 89 has a better coding system, but some of the features on the Ti-83+ silver make it worthwhile, like it being near impossible to clear the ram on that thing.

Feb 15, 2003 at 6:09 AM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
I code for a living I guess...but really, its just getting me through school. I used to code heavily but this contract is more about staring at numbers, I mean that quite literally, I stare at numbers a lot.

What language(s)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back