Cnet Review: Cowon D2
Mar 3, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #17 of 23
I seriously considered waiting for this player, but the touch-screen idea turned me off. I use a PPC Phone with a touchscreen. It's great when you've got two hands so you can use the stylus. But try sending an SMS in rush hour traffic. No dice.

On top of that, unless you get a good screen protector, that beautiful touch screen is gonna' look like crap in a month or two. Guaranteed.

I got a 60GB X5 instead.

Mar 3, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #18 of 23
I'm guessing the SD slot warrants the price premium, and besides, plugging in a high capacity SD card won't cost an arm and a leg these days anyway.

Mar 3, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
copying the entire article without a link to the source is a bit inappropriate.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Cowon_D2_4GB...tag=prod.txt.1

calyx, when i here 'active' i'm thinking people like joggers. the touch interface is less than ideal. tactile feedback is more important than visual when you can't see the device. quick forward and rewind aren't.

You are right, "active" should mean it. Anyway as some other poster stated, there are side buttons and lock on touchscreen which may help a bit.

Mar 3, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by JES /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I seriously considered waiting for this player, but the touch-screen idea turned me off. I use a PPC Phone with a touchscreen. It's great when you've got two hands so you can use the stylus. But try sending an SMS in rush hour traffic. No dice.

On top of that, unless you get a good screen protector, that beautiful touch screen is gonna' look like crap in a month or two. Guaranteed.

I got a 60GB X5 instead.

I used an E-TEN M500 PPC phone and I used to write not only SMSs but e-mails while I was driving (in heavy, sloooow, stuck traffic)

The screens of such devices are really hard to scratch unless you put them in the pocket with a bunch of keys. After loosing my stylus, I even used many strange objects on the screen including nails (not fingernails), pens, metals, keys, plastics and unless you push hard nothing happened.

And there are clear protectors that you can buy and they protect the screen very good.

However because I abused the phone heavily (half of it is due to crappy windows mobile failures that drive you nuts so you keep hitting the screen with the current tool at hand
biggrin.gif
), I did not get many scratchs and all but I had it failed completely after 6 months, had it changed (cost was nearly half the price of the brand new phone) and it died when I stepped on it with the rolling wheels of a chair (don't ask me how I did it !)

So if treated well, I think the screen may survive well.

Mar 4, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just out of interest, why would you want that?

Something to do when you have a really small amount of time? I like to draw down ideas I can later use to make bigger pieces. I guess it's not a widely asked-for feature.

Apr 2, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #23 of 23
a coworker gave me this DAP years ago and it looks like its reaching almost 10 years old if not older.
The fascinating thing is even in 2018 it still holds it own to its newer cousin I also have, the Plenue D with more features such as the Jet Effect and BBE settings.
I IO has something challenges with its micro stylus handing from its side and the 12GB max storage is an issue (4 onboard+ 8GB card)
But I made the settings to BBE 3 in Jet Effect that I saw recommended for the VE Monk Pluses and couldn't believe what I heard from those earbuds when compared to my LG V30 and Fiio 3 Gen 1&2.

Anyone know anything about this device's DAC chipset and sound profile?

It really amazes me with its sound quality for something so small and old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back