Cmoy vs. Headsave Classic
Jul 29, 2004 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Escape Your Mind

New Head-Fier
Hey all, looking for some advice between these two. I plan on using them with the HD595 and I was planning on getting the headsave classic because i dont need something portable so I wanted to get something that maybe had a little better quality/sound because it wasnt relying on batteries. However is the extra money worth it to get the headsave or should i just stick with a standard cmoy? Also I really hadn't planned on getting any of the options with the headsave primarily because i dont have that much money, but since the opamps are socketed i can always upgrade that later when i have the money. If I was able to get one of the options which would be more important, a better opamp, or a more powerful powersupply for it?

Jul 29, 2004 at 2:10 PM Post #2 of 18
well for those headphones you really dont need something super powerful. The classic will run you down about 150+ dollars shipped compared to maybe 50 dollars shipped for a cmoy. I'd suggest you get a cmoy. If possible maybe one with a dc jack option since you're going to use it mostly for home. Otherwise you could get rechargeable batteries.

Jul 29, 2004 at 2:35 PM Post #3 of 18
I wouldn't settle for a cmoy. The HD595s deserve better
wink.gif

There is a Headsave Meta42 amp (should sound in same class as the classic) for $100 shipped in the for sale forums.

Jul 29, 2004 at 2:47 PM Post #4 of 18
Ive tried reading up on the different type of amps.. but what is it about the meta that would set it apart from the cmoy or classic. Is it just the circuit layout or a different opamp?

Ya im trying to get the best amp I can for the 595's for around $100 if possible.. however if the performance/sound isnt really noticable between a standard cmoy and a more expensive amp, id rather choose the cheaper one. College and head-fi are in a tug of war with my wallet right now =/

Jul 29, 2004 at 4:55 PM Post #5 of 18
I have both a Classic and a CMOY. While the CMOY does sound pretty good for it's price and size, there really is no comparison when driving headphones. The Classic takes it easily. I'd choose the Classic everytime. Although I need a decent amp to power the DT770s, so that's also something to consider.

Jul 29, 2004 at 5:50 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Escape Your Mind
Ive tried reading up on the different type of amps.. but what is it about the meta that would set it apart from the cmoy or classic. Is it just the circuit layout or a different opamp?

Ya im trying to get the best amp I can for the 595's for around $100 if possible.. however if the performance/sound isnt really noticable between a standard cmoy and a more expensive amp, id rather choose the cheaper one. College and head-fi are in a tug of war with my wallet right now =/

You wont go wrong with any of the two. I do suggest you get a used amp if your on a budget, you'll save a lot that way. And if you plan to upgrade later, you wont lose much when you sell the amp.

Jul 29, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #7 of 18
Ya, ive been keeping my eye on the for sale/trade forums and i see there is the JMT Meta42 and the Headsave ultra Meta42 on there. May try to snatch one of thoes up before I head to headsave and spend a little more then I would like on the classic.

Jul 29, 2004 at 7:11 PM Post #8 of 18
Got another quick question, has anyone really compared a Meta42 to the headsave classic. Because isnt the classic based on a new design by norm? In that case would you guys say that the sound between the classic and a meta42 is very similar, or would the classic sound better than it?

Jul 29, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #10 of 18
Ok thanks for the info, I may have to get a cmoy just because i dont think i could afford all the extras i need for the classic. What ill probably do is just get the standard classic without all the options, and maybe around christmas time get thoes. Although with the way the HD595's are looking right now i may not be able to get my hands on one of thoes till x-mas, should almost just go backwards and get the AV710 and the headsave classic with options and wait on the cans till sennheiser gets it all sorted out with the new factory.

Jul 30, 2004 at 3:32 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Ok thanks for the info, I may have to get a cmoy just because i dont think i could afford all the extras i need for the classic.

The CMoy will serve you well
biggrin.gif

I suggest you keep off doing baby steps when upgrading in the low level amps. This means looking towards a slightly more expensive amp in getting a slightly better sound quality. Wait and save up until you can get an amp that you really want. Believe me, you'll save lots of money in the end.

Jul 30, 2004 at 1:11 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by tortie
The CMoy will serve you well
biggrin.gif

I suggest you keep off doing baby steps when upgrading in the low level amps. This means looking towards a slightly more expensive amp in getting a slightly better sound quality. Wait and save up until you can get an amp that you really want. Believe me, you'll save lots of money in the end.

Well, I probably wont be getting into the more expensive amps for awhile primarily because of other costs in my life right now like school. And because my true passion is computers and as you probably know parts cost a ton, and they need upgrades a lot sooner. I'm also more of a casual listener right now so I can not justify the costs of a significantly better amp. Which is why I will probably stick with the classic untill I some how stumble across a large sum of money.
wink.gif

Jul 30, 2004 at 5:54 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

I'm also more of a casual listener right now so I can not justify the costs of a significantly better amp. Which is why I will probably stick with the classic untill I some how stumble across a large sum of money.
wink.gif

That is a great idea. Let us know how your first headphone amp turns up
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #15 of 18
escape,
you do know that with classic, you still need to buy your own power supply right ?

doctorjuggles,
hows the classic driving your DT770 ? doesnt make it over bassy ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back