Cmoy to SOHA
Mar 11, 2007 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

smegger

100+ Head-Fier
hi finished my cmoy last week i am very pleased with it, it has helped the bass on my new er4ps nicely and i love my sr80s even more through it, i am now wanting to build another amp i hear good things about soha and i just love the case design possibilities with tubes, anyone in the uk built on and anyone know where to get a good kit?
etysmile.gif

Mar 12, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by firefox360 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe jrossel makes a decent SOHA kit. His site is Glass Jar Audio, http://www.glassjaraudio.com/.

JEBUS 92$???? I thought I remembered reading somewhere on headwize that a soha can be had for ~50. Maybe that's the bare minimum with generic components idk, plus it must be a lot easier in kit form... C'MON tax money
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kanamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JEBUS 92$???? I thought I remembered reading somewhere on headwize that a soha can be had for ~50. Maybe that's the bare minimum with generic components idk, plus it must be a lot easier in kit form... C'MON tax money
smily_headphones1.gif

You may be able to build a soha for $50 using the cheapest parts and without the toroidal transformer, Hammond case or Alps RK027 pot. JRossel has a seriously great kit for the price. If he had been offering them when I was buying parts for my SOHAs, I would have bought everything from him, there's no way you could put together those parts, including shipping from at least 2 suppliers for that price.

Mar 12, 2007 at 7:05 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kanamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I never trust those initial cost estimation, eg. cmoy for 20$ or soha for 50$, because they never include casing, jacks, connectors, knobs etc. I guess by showing low numbers it makes the amp more attractive. FYI, I built mine with simple generic componenets and it costs well over 170$ (shipping from many places alone costs 40-50$). I wish jrossel would have his kit when I built mine...
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... cmoy for 20$ ...

What sucked me in, right there, right friggin' there
icon10.gif
Although I've probably spent more than 50 already (spares, I wanna make more than one) and I don't even have any jacks yet.

Mar 13, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #7 of 12
After building a CMOY, the SOHA build went smoothly. My first CMOY was a disaster but my second one worked perfectly, first go. So did my next two SOHAs. I really like the OPA2107 w/ my SOHA. Have fun building it.
3000smile.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #8 of 12
I am really enjoying my soha. I bought parts from jrossel off his geocities website. At the time he had a spreadsheet and let me pick and choose which components I wanted to buy. He is a nice guy to deal with. Oh and did I mention soha great?
280smile.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 8:30 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may be able to build a soha for $50 using the cheapest parts and without the toroidal transformer, Hammond case or Alps RK027 pot. JRossel has a seriously great kit for the price. If he had been offering them when I was buying parts for my SOHAs, I would have bought everything from him, there's no way you could put together those parts, including shipping from at least 2 suppliers for that price.

X2.

When I built my SOHA I used very similar parts (just about everything the same except for the output caps, I used Vishay Sprague Orange Drop 0.1 800Vs) and the whole experience cost me around 120-130. Thats a killer deal IMO. Next time I'd just get that and upgrade the caps and I would be set.

Mar 13, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #10 of 12
so what about the kit would you replace to make a significant rise in quality?
etysmile.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #11 of 12
Change up those output caps (C2 / C14) to something fancy like Mundorf MCap ZN (favorite among many), change the cathode bypass caps (C1 / C13) to the best electrolytics you can get (you can even drop the value quite a bit to lets say 220uF) like Elna Silmic II, Elna Cerafine, BlackGate NX or BlackGate FK and pick up a nice tube like NOS GE 6680, NOS GE 5963, new JJ 12AU7, new ElectroHarmonix 12AU7, check out tomb's list, those are the top few.

Mar 13, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #12 of 12
i am in the uk so it can be a pain to order these things so its the kit from further up the post plus these upgrades, anyone know where to get good caps in the uk o and a ball park figure for the kit and upgraded caps sorry for not doing the leg work just cant find any British sites

Users who are viewing this thread

Back