CMoy Setbacks
May 6, 2007 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Monkeypillow

New Head-Fier
I've decided to attempt to make the CMoy as an intro to DIY of sorts, but I've run into a few problems. Using the parts list provided in Tangent's tutorial, I've gone to local stores to find everything. The only local shops I know of (DFW metroplex), are Fry's Electronics and Radio Shack.

Fry's has a better selection (if only I could sort through it), so I'm confident a lot of the stuff is there, I'm just having trouble differentiating between similar parts.

If someone could give me specifications, physical properties, of the parts I need for the CMoy (I'd like to include as many of the optional parts as possible), that'd be a huge help. If possible, corresponding Fry's/RS inventory IDs would be even better.

Thanks again to Head-Fi members for being such a newbie-friendly community.
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 15
Buying parts at Fry's or RS is going to be a) frustrating and b) a complete waste of time. Fry's may have a better selection than RS does, but not much better for the kinds of things you need. Plus either place is going to be 30-40% more expensive (for worse quality parts) than just ordering from Mouser (which is in DFW) or Digikey. If you want a volume control (pot), the default Panasonic is only available from Digikey; otherwise, the best choice is the Alps RK097 (w/switch) that you can get from Tangent''s audio parts shop. Sorry, but that has been my experience. I only use Fry's or RS for absolute emergencies for really generic parts, and cringe everytime when I am paying for them.

May 7, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #3 of 15
you can get almost everything you need from radioshack, except the opamp, and a good pot. i recommend using digikey for the opamp, but make the order go over 25$ or you will be paying 5$ extra for a small order fee. as for radioshack get the board, the resistors, battery clips, the led, the small stuff that doesnt really matter. for your order to digikey, or any other place i would get a pot (avoid the panasonic its a pain unless you can steady your hands, and are good with a soldering iron), a good switch (mini sized), the jacks, get both caps from the store to bring the price up, if you still need the price raised get the ic socket, if youve already got the price over 25, you can buy a pack of 2 from radioshack. if you want your cmoy to look more professional, buy a case, i think hammond is the brand most people use. if this is your first time soldering get some 63/37 solder thats a good diameter, like .032 radioshack has only one type of eutectic solder, but its kinda thick and hard to work with. radioshack can give you a pack of 3 colored wire, 22 gauge stranded, red black and a greenish its a little stiff, but workable. good luck and post pics. to see how mine looked click my name and check my topics/post its in there somewhere, also find the user joshatdot, he has pictures of his first cmoy attempt, seeing others work definatly helps. dont be shy to ask questions either, people here are really nice.

May 7, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #4 of 15
Thanks for all the help. I've yet to open anything, so I'll return it tomorrow.

(Assuming I have no tools, materials, etc.) I would appreciate some suggestions for essential and convenient tools. Keep in mind that, as this is my first serious endeavor, so I have literally no tools.

Also, are there any guides available on the Internet that offer an introduction to DIY electonics (Similar to Tangent's).

Cheers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: I just figured that if I was going to have to order parts online anyway, I might as well order as many as possible due to the lower prices. I purchased a Weller WLC100 from Fry's, as well as some additional tips, a small set of screwdrivers, some flush cutters, and wire strippers. Is the Weller at least decent?

In regards to Tangent's tutorial, instead of trimming leads for the jumpers, what else could I use/buy that would work?

May 7, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #5 of 15
Agree with mr-awesome. Part of the theme of Tangent's tutorial is to use Radio Shack for parts. Radio Shack will take back anything that doesn't have solder on it, and they may take back that if you clean it up well. You get to look over parts in person, try them out, or return them for the right thing. That's an invaluable help and convenience in starting out.

As a newbie, ordering long distance is a confusing process. It's hard to read the cryptic diagrams, there are many versions of the same thing - some of which won't work at all - and if you forget something, you're in for another order with possible minimums and shipping costs. It's true that Radio Shack won't have the opamp or the pot, but they will have everything else. It's easier to get those two things right when you order. Add some extras that aren't critical for your build if you need a minimum order, as mr-awesome says.

May 7, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #6 of 15
okay so you are at the same spot i was at when i started, but i am the the person that takes stuff apart to see what makes it work. i might not know what everything does, but i like to see whats going on. okay, so you gonne need a soldering iron. i went to sears and got a weller 25watt soldering iron, its got 3 tips, all interchangable, it works great, not to hot, not to cold. since this is your first time get kinda small diameter solder its easier to work with. other tools your gonna need are, wire cutters, some that cut flush on one side, wire strippers, or someway to strip wires. i recommend some good tweezers, to pull /bend leads. to make the m jumpers, your gonna need some pliers that work kinda well, getting the middle leg to fit in the radioshack board is hard. thats it for tools.

for guides look on the forum, here is my post it shows how i did mine
here

here is joshatdots, his post helped me
here

what kinda guides do you need, the only thing you need is how to solder, which i picked up pretty fast on. check tangents tutorials on soldering, then check instructables for soldering, then check youtube.

May 7, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #8 of 15
The Hakko 936 is a great soldering station and used by many around here. They have a pretty good price at Fry's and a decent selection of tips/accessories. Although, HMC Electronics has a fantastic deal and is where I purchase mine - even though I go to Fry's all the time.

I know Amb just posted a thread about how accurate the cheaper DMM's are, but some of us get away without measuring much except on a relative basis, not absolute. Almost everything I measure - bias, matching resistors, continuity, transistor HFE - is with those Harbor Freight often-on-sale-for-$2.99 DMM's. Shoot, they might as well be disposable.

Something you didn't mention that I've found very valuable in constructing boards:
- Helping Hands ($2.99 at Harbor Freight)
- At least one quality pair of tweezers (I prefer the kind with the bent tips)
- A quality pair of smooth jaw needle nose pliers (no marks on the bent leads)
- A lead bending jig (these are plastic, $2.00 things, but helps you keep consistent when bending leads to match the hole distances on a board - lots of benefit for little cost)
- One of those brass wool solder tip cleaners - doesn't cool down your tip and slow you down. I use this much more than the sponge
- soldering wick - all sizes
- small detail scissors for cutting heat shrink
- heat shrink gun (another that can be had for $10-$12 at Harbor Freight - a Tower Hobbies monokote heat gun can be used in a pinch)

BTW, Tangent has a pretty complete set of lists for suggested tools - low cost, medium, and top-of-the-line, I believe.

May 7, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #9 of 15
Thanks tomb.

Others had mentioned helping hands, but I couldn't find anywhere to purchase them. Is HMC an online retailer, or a brick-and-mortar store? Same question for Harbor Freight?

May 7, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkeypillow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks tomb.

Others had mentioned helping hands, but I couldn't find anywhere to purchase them. Is HMC an online retailer, or a brick-and-mortar store? Same question for Harbor Freight?

I think both for both.

http://www.hmcelectronics.com/

www.harborfreight.com/

Note: if you go to Harbor Freight in person, be sure to print the online prices and bring them with you. Sometimes the in store price will be less, sometimes it won't be on sale in store but is on the web, in which case they will give you the online price only if you have a printed copy with you.

May 7, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think both for both.

http://www.hmcelectronics.com/

www.harborfreight.com/

Note: if you go to Harbor Freight in person, be sure to print the online prices and bring them with you. Sometimes the in store price will be less, sometimes it won't be on sale in store but is on the web, in which case they will give you the online price only if you have a printed copy with you.

Yes - that's very good advice. I've gotten to where I will never buy anything from Harbor Freight unless the item has a sale price. Why pay $9.99 for their DMM's when they're on sale for $2.99 every other week?

Funny how our relative threshold of price-purchase evolves.
wink.gif

May 7, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #13 of 15
helping hands is something i wish i had when i did this project, your gonna want to have the project off the table, and in a good workable position radioshack had some helping hand/3rd hand with a magnifying glass on it. i mentioned a good pair of tweezers, i dont know about a lead bending jig, i found out after a whie if you use the pliers to bend the leads it makes really good looking results IMHO. i dont know what a DMM is, so i cant help you there, also if money is no issue to you, invest the money and get a good soldering station. if you dont think you will be doing to serious projects, just get the weller one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back