Cmoy on a stripboard.
Feb 23, 2007 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

TzeYang

500+ Head-Fier
I couldnt find that type of protoboard that tangent's guide suggests. I could only get the alternative stripboard. Problem is, i don't have enough knowledge to plan a working layout for a cmoy.

Can anyone give me a clear picture or design layout on a stripboard? i've searched this forum, however the pictures and designs are not clear enough.

Thank You very much.

Feb 23, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 33
You could also use a plain pad-per-hole design too. If Stripboard is all you can find, what I would do is use a rotary tool and cut the strips to make them into segments to mimick the pads of what tangent uses. This would be the only way to use this type of board as no matter which way you put parts, you cac not get all the opamp pins isolated.

The strips would be the horizontal pads. You would have to do some wire jumpers for the center ground strips that go vertical but it should work fine.

Let me know if you need more clarification.

Feb 23, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by TzeYang
i don't have enough knowledge to plan a working layout for a cmoy.

You might find that you can earn that knowledge if you put in some effort. I was pretty ignorant when I wrote the first version of the CMoy tutorial, five years ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
use a rotary tool and cut the strips to make them into segments to mimick the pads of what tangent uses

Oh, heck no. The Radio Shack board's layout is complicated. Trying to recreate it on a simple board type is way too much work. Much better to come up with a layout that takes advantage of the unique features of the board.

Feb 23, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 33
Cmoy170.jpg

Close enough for you to figure the rest out by yourself?

Feb 23, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 33
I didn't mean to make the traces.. I mean't to cut the strips of the stripboard to mimick the pads of the radioshack board. You have the horrizontal strips, just have to make due on the vertical ground plane (run a bare wire down it and solder).

Cut along the red lines.
strip.jpg

The opamp will straddle the ground area.

Only I would actually grind my own traces.

Feb 24, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #7 of 33
First of all, i would like to thank you all for giving all the constructive suggestions and help i need.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might find that you can earn that knowledge if you put in some effort. I was pretty ignorant when I wrote the first version of the CMoy tutorial, five years ago.

Oh, heck no. The Radio Shack board's layout is complicated. Trying to recreate it on a simple board type is way too much work. Much better to come up with a layout that takes advantage of the unique features of the board.

I've tried studying the schematic for sometime now, in fact, my initial idea is like paragon's, but i'm just not sure how to properly configure the virtual ground. So what do you think of paragon's idea?

If things gets too complicated, i might get a donut board from another state and try it first since it's the easiest board to work with.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cmoy170.jpg

Close enough for you to figure the rest out by yourself?

thank you very much MisterX, i will study it later.

Quote:

I didn't mean to make the traces.. I mean't to cut the strips of the stripboard to mimick the pads of the radioshack board. You have the horrizontal strips, just have to make due on the vertical ground plane (run a bare wire down it and solder).

Cut along the red lines.
strip.jpg

The opamp will straddle the ground area.

Only I would actually grind my own traces.

I'm thinking of using wires to jumper each ground points instead of using a bare wire. I think it's safer this way? Please critique. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uhm... regular breadboard is just as easy to use as that stripboard, especially in the power supply section. Just use the resistor leads as connections and you'll have no problems. Ground is also easy, use a little wire if you need to.

Erm, the breadbroad you meant is some kind of temporary protoboard that you don't need to solder in order to use? I have a piece too. Should i practise laying out a cmoy circuit before continuing on a stripboard/donutboard?

Feb 24, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #8 of 33
o ya for sure, I think the reason most ppl here don't do it is that breadboards are riciculously expensive and most people don't already have one, whereas the protoboard from RadioShack that most here in the U.S. use costs all of $1.70. I'm an engineering student (mechanical, not electrical) and in freshman year we used breadboards to learn about digital logic by building some cool circuits (photoelectric switches, simple IR transmitters & receivers, and even a keyless (car) entry-style deadbolt remote unlocker thingy. Definitely an very valuable educational tool. When we were given the assignment, but before we started it, I was panicking. I felt totally clueless. But by the end of those 2 labs I felt I had a pretty good understanding of electronics fundamentals. What i found most helpful in learning was understanding schematics. Also I'd recommend taking a good closeup pic of your cmoy circuit on the breadboard once u get it working before you dismantle it and transfer it to the stripboard, to prevent or help diagnose problems in case you run into any once you have transferred it. Good luck, and welcome to the addiction
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by TzeYang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking of using wires to jumper each ground points instead of using a bare wire. I think it's safer this way? Please critique. Thanks.

Either way. MisterX has it set up with jumpers as a single point ground. It really depends on the layout. Laying a piece of bare wire between the two holes across the pads in the ground area and touching a little solder every so often would make it easy to tap into the ground especially if there are a lot out ground points. The cmoy appears to have only a few so whatever you feel better with. I would just use the lead from one of the R1 and route it up past the opamp once it is through the board.

layout taken from http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tu...ayout-0150.pdf

Red lines are jumpers. The blue line from the R1 in the power section to the right of the opamp is just the R1 lead (should be long enough can use from either resistor or both) Double check the layout, this was done rather quickly.
strip2.jpg

Feb 25, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eokboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hay Littleghost!

Use perfboard/donutboard instead. You have to clear tracks on stripboard.

I actually read through the DIY Amp thread at LYN last week and i saw your idea of using a donutboard. It's really really a good idea but it's not easy to get one over here at my place.

Thanks alot, i'm going to try search for a donut/perfboard. It's extremely rare here in Penang (damn this place, i cant even find regular metal films)

Quote:

Either way. MisterX has it set up with jumpers as a single point ground. It really depends on the layout. Laying a piece of bare wire between the two holes across the pads in the ground area and touching a little solder every so often would make it easy to tap into the ground especially if there are a lot out ground points. The cmoy appears to have only a few so whatever you feel better with. I would just use the lead from one of the R1 and route it up past the opamp once it is through the board.

layout taken from http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tu...ayout-0150.pdf

Red lines are jumpers. The blue line from the R1 in the power section to the right of the opamp is just the R1 lead (should be long enough can use from either resistor or both) Double check the layout, this was done rather quickly.
strip2.jpg

thanks alot, i might use your layout instead if i still cant get a perfboard.

EDIT: I found a layout last night, it's very similar to paragorn's, i will post it up later. I really need you guys to take alook at it.

Feb 28, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #12 of 33
okay guys, finally completed my cmoy on a "stripboard"

It sounds fine, but the gain is too high (gain 6) and i have a few noise issues at higher volumes. Anyway, i'll troubleshoot it later lol. Also, what's the best way to measure dc offset? Can i use a mini-to-mini jack?

Here are some pictars.

PICT1569.jpg

PICT1567.jpg

PICT1568.jpg

Oct 2, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #13 of 33
Hi all,

I'm trying to build a cmoy on a (radioshack) breadboard because I'm having trouble reading schematics and thought such a build might help. Unfortunately, the orientation of the breadboard has only confused me more!

I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of an image of a cmoy on a breadboard. I can't seem to find one myself.

Many thanks!

Oct 3, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #14 of 33
Wow, talk about a blast from the past. (I'm not even an engineering student yet during that time lol)

At this point I no longer have the pictures of what I've built, but if you're using the radioshack board, tangent has some pictures hosted on his site.

Just refer to his CMOY tutorial guide.

Oct 3, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by TzeYang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, talk about a blast from the past. (I'm not even an engineering student yet during that time lol)

At this point I no longer have the pictures of what I've built, but if you're using the radioshack board, tangent has some pictures hosted on his site.

Just refer to his CMOY tutorial guide.

Haha. I'm always tentative to start a new thread, so I usually just resurrect something from years ago. Not really sure what's good etiquette here.

I meant to indicate that I'm trying to use a solderless breadboard at first. I have another board where no pad is connected to any other that I was hoping to use with a different layout than Tangent's, but thought I'd give it a shot with the solderless bb first.

No problem if there are no such images available, just thought I'd give it a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back