CMOY Done but a few questions
Apr 25, 2003 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

millercv

100+ Head-Fier
Ok my "learning" cmoy is done. Got very little sleep last night and there was much weeping and gnashing of teeth. But I got everything working - I think.

One of the problems I had was wire up the pot (its one of the 6 pin panasonics). I just couldn't figure out the grounds I ended up putting the ground from the in/out jack to pin 2 and then connected pin 3 to ground on the board. Should this work or should I go back and put everything straight to the board ground?

Right now it is working fine - no hiss whatsoever but the volume doesn't seem to be boosting the source that much. Any suggestions or do I need to switch to two batteries to get a big boost? I've tried reading the boards but haven't found much on going to two batteries (other than it fixing a problem w/ distortion on creshendos)...

Thanks and I'll post pics of this one tonight (though the innards are quite ugly
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Apr 25, 2003 at 3:26 PM Post #2 of 24
Ok it isn't working as fine as I thought it was
smily_headphones1.gif

I brought it into work to play around w/ a bit and while looking at it the pin 1 from the pot came disconnected (L.in I believe but don't have the schematic in front of me) but sound was coming from both sides so apparently I have a short someplace (which may account for the low volume also....)

Apr 25, 2003 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 24
Try grounding your components independently.

With the Panasonic EVJ pots, ground is pins #2 and #3. Output is pins #1 (L) and #4 (R). Input is pins #5 (R) and #6 (L).

Apr 25, 2003 at 8:20 PM Post #4 of 24
JMT:

Is that with the knob pointing away from you and the pins on the bottom i.e. pins flat on the table and the turning part pointing away?

then pin #1 is the leftmost pin and six is the rightmost pin?

I've been having a bit of trouble with my CMOY and...Im double checking my connections right now and I wanted to check with a master builder

thanks

Apr 25, 2003 at 8:40 PM Post #5 of 24
That would be with the pins pointing up and the shaft pointing away from you, going from left to right.

Apr 25, 2003 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 24
Whew you had me worried for a second there! I was thinking "So thats whats wrong!" - but then I realized that would be the same as knob towards you with pins on the bottom numbering left to right
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2003 at 1:08 AM Post #7 of 24
Big thanks to JMT - yep moving the ground fixed everything!

Heres a pic:

P4250024.jpg

A few more are up here

Please keep in mind that most of it was done very late last night so the innards aren't that pretty - thats why I got the stuff to build another now that I know whats going on
smily_headphones1.gif
I actually can't believe it sounds as silent/good as it does since I know there are probably a few bad solder joints.

Do most people end up using 2 9V batteries - with one it is a pretty good range but I don't have TONS of headroom.

Has anyone rigged up another battery connector/switch so you can use one but have the option there to use two if you want?

Thans again JMT and everyone

Apr 26, 2003 at 5:22 AM Post #8 of 24
Um. I don't think it matters (looks around for support). You'd be setting them up in parallel, which combines the current, and the current consumption should be about the same (except when it really draws more power, for the increased headroom), you should just have twice as much juice. (Not too sure, but this is what I have in mind for my PS for my PCDP...) It's been a while since physics. (Come to think of it I don't really know why I posted...
biggrin.gif
maybe I'll get some kind of answer, too...)

TA out.

Apr 26, 2003 at 5:24 AM Post #9 of 24
Is it me, or do I see a lot of non-insullated wire in there?

Apr 26, 2003 at 5:28 AM Post #10 of 24
Actually its magnet wire
smily_headphones1.gif
the kind you have to strip it w/ a soldering iron. I got used to the stuff when I built a Bottlehead Preamp that uses it.

The plain old insulated wire I had was a bit thick and not cooperating in the tiny space so I switched after hooking up a couple of things.

Apr 26, 2003 at 5:31 AM Post #12 of 24
Whenever I use dual 9v, I wire them in series. Usually because the op-amp datasheet indicates voltage requirements better than +/- 9v. If you are using an OPA2132/2134 you needn't worry about using two, a single battery is sufficient.

Apr 26, 2003 at 5:32 AM Post #13 of 24
They are just in with the regular Altoids - there are three "special edition" tins out now. I've seen them at target and several other places. They have pictures of them all on their website - maybe altoids.com ?

Apr 26, 2003 at 5:32 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by 00940
just a question : where do you buy such boxes ?
smily_headphones1.gif

There are various versions of altoids boxes made in limited production. You just have to catch them when they come out.

Apr 26, 2003 at 5:34 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by millercv
Actually its magnet wire
smily_headphones1.gif
the kind you have to strip it w/ a soldering iron. I got used to the stuff when I built a Bottlehead Preamp that uses it.

The plain old insulated wire I had was a bit thick and not cooperating in the tiny space so I switched after hooking up a couple of things.

I'd be worried about interference or one of those touching another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back