cmoy caps - which will fit in mint tin?
Apr 2, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 12
voltage, brand line?

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #3 of 12
I fit a pair of Panasonic FM 470uf 25V in a mint tin. I had to tilt them over a bit, but I think that was because I didn't seat the cap tight to the board. It *might* fit standing up.

Apr 2, 2006 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
voltage, brand line?

probally 25 v, I would like to know which brand line would fit.
Are the panasonics of good quality, or are there better choices that would still fit?

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #5 of 12
The Panasonic FMs are some of the best caps you can get (very low ESR). However, Digikey is the only place I know of to get them, and they have a $25 minimum order (well, they will take smaller orders, but they will charge you a $5 handling fee, at least in the US).

The caps at Radioshack are (usually) Xicon, and are alright. For a CMoy, they are fine.

Apr 2, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars
The Panasonic FMs are some of the best caps you can get (very low ESR). However, Digikey is the only place I know of to get them, and they have a $25 minimum order (well, they will take smaller orders, but they will charge you a $5 handling fee, at least in the US).

The caps at Radioshack are (usually) Xicon, and are alright. For a CMoy, they are fine.

Thats great, since Im using digikey. So, you basically just have to bend the leads and mount them horizontally?

Apr 2, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #7 of 12
Here is a high res image of my first Cmoy, with Tangent's stock layout on the RS stripboard, with Pana FM 470uF 25v Caps. You can see how I tilted them.

I was not careful about seating the cap flush to the board. Or, it may be that the lead spacing was such that I had to leave some wire on top. Just saying you may get them straight up but if not, it should not be a problem to tilt them enough to fit.

http://www.pbase.com/nrothschild/image/54321098

Apr 2, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #8 of 12
I put 470uF/35V Nichicons in my son's CMOY straight up with plenty of room.
This is a straight down shot unfortunately.

cmoy004.jpg

Apr 3, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eisenhower
Thats great, since Im using digikey. So, you basically just have to bend the leads and mount them horizontally?

yup, more or less.
3rd-Rev-009.jpg

Panasonic FC 1000uF/10V

Rev3.jpg

Rubycon ZL 1200uF/16V

Users who are viewing this thread

Back