CMOY and other small PCB (PPA???)
Jul 5, 2007 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

metube

New Head-Fier
Im looking to make an order on pcbexpress or somthing like that and was hoping that some of you could direct me to some good pcb files or even some of your own
smily_headphones1.gif
I am sort of looking for a variety, but I need a good Cmoy one and hopefully a PPA one (v1 or 2). I really appreciate anyones help...the more info the better!!! Also, if anyone is up for setting up a group buy let me know..Thanks!

Jul 6, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 17
thanks for the post, I heard of the mini and already have a serpac h65 case so it seems like a good project...but I am looking for the pcb file...so I can put a bunch of different amps on the layout and when they send it to me i can have a few different projects to work on, and a few extra pcbs if i mess up or need to make more.

Does anyone have the pcb files for a mini like that...and a cmoy too please! lol..thanks!

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #5 of 17
hmmm... maybe I'm being misunderstood, but I'm going to assume I'm the one who is misinformed. Perhaps I'm not sure how the pcb facbrication process works.

If I want to order a pcb I have to take a picture and retrace it into a PCB "file" using something like expresspcb program? or do I just send in a photo (jpeg) like the ones on some of these postings?

Basically I'm looking for the files that I can send to the PCB manufacturer. Obviously I would have to cut and paste the various files but generally speaking thats what I'm looking for...am I mislead?

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #6 of 17
hmm.... I am getting the feeling that I might actually have to get off my lazy but and redraw some of these boards myself lol

Well then maybe someone can give me a hint as to the cheapest place to get pcb's fabricated... quality isn't the biggest issue

but the pcb layout files are still acpreciated!! lol

Jul 6, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #7 of 17
I think you may find you are just better off buying a ready made board and calling it a day.
wink.gif

(the tooling charge alone is going to be 5 times what you pay for a single PPA2 board if you purchase it from Tangent)

Jul 6, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by metube /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmm... maybe I'm being misunderstood, but I'm going to assume I'm the one who is misinformed. Perhaps I'm not sure how the pcb facbrication process works.

If I want to order a pcb I have to take a picture and retrace it into a PCB "file" using something like expresspcb program? or do I just send in a photo (jpeg) like the ones on some of these postings?

Basically I'm looking for the files that I can send to the PCB manufacturer. Obviously I would have to cut and paste the various files but generally speaking thats what I'm looking for...am I mislead?

Quote:

hmm.... I am getting the feeling that I might actually have to get off my lazy but and redraw some of these boards myself lol

Well then maybe someone can give me a hint as to the cheapest place to get pcb's fabricated... quality isn't the biggest issue

but the pcb layout files are still acpreciated!! lol

Asking for board files such as Amb's (mini3, M3, etc.) or Tangent's (PPA, Pimeta, etc.) would probably be considered lazy and rude, and at the very least, would show a lack of initiative on your part, since you don't seem to know what to ask for WRT what a PCB fabricator would need. I pointed you to a couple of freeware PCB schematic and layout programs in order to allow you to help yourself. A Cmoy is not particularly difficult to layout yourself, and I am sure you have done some searches here, so you can see some examples. And doing your own layout, you might actually learn something in the process
eek.gif
As MisterX said, you will find that the tooling charges make it difficult to get small board runs (1-5 boards) at an economical price. You will then understand that the prices that Tangent and Amb charge for boards is quite reasonable, particularly given the high quality of their boards.

If you do take the bait on the layout program, I would learn how to use Eagle... expressPCB uses a proprietary format that will not be accepted by most other board houses.

Jul 6, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #9 of 17
tooling charges as in drilling the solder holes and cutting up the boards right?...I have a dremel so I dont mind doing that stuff on my own... If anyone has any recommendations on a fabricator considering ill be doing that type of stuff on my own let me know.

That why I figured I could get a few different designs on a board and then cut it up myself. Thanks for the replies so far though

Jul 7, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #10 of 17
Use the free edition of Eagle (Pars gave you the link), make a design, and upload your files to BatchPCB.com. It's $2 per square inch plus a $10 setup fee. If you search for threads pertaining to Eagle, you will find some already finished cMoy boards ready to download and submit.

Jul 7, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

tooling charges as in drilling the solder holes and cutting up the boards right?...I have a dremel so I dont mind doing that stuff on my own... If anyone has any recommendations on a fabricator considering ill be doing that type of stuff on my own let me know.

That why I figured I could get a few different designs on a board and then cut it up myself. Thanks for the replies so far though

It sounds to me you don't really know what a board fabrication house does. You send them the Gerber files that you generate with your PCB design CAD program (or whatever format they accept), and they ship you pre-cut boards that have traces etched, holes drilled, and in most cases with soldermask and silkscreening too. You don't do any drilling or cutting yourself.

The per-board cost of professional fabrication depends on several factors:
1. Quantity of boards ordered - the more you buy, the cheaper each board gets
2. Turnaround time desired - the faster you want them, the costlier
3. Size of board
4. Number of holes
5. Number of layers, and whether soldermask and silkscreening is required, and on one side only or both sides.
6. Whether there are extra small trace spacing/clearance requirements, or hole sizes
7. Any special features (heavy duty copper, special board material, thickness or color, etc)
8. Whether testing should be done on each board
9. The board house you choose - some are more expensive than others, but going with the cheapest is not usually good economy due to quality concerns

The tooling charge is a fixed cost that board houses charge on top of the per board cost to get everything set up for manufacturing, regardless of quantity. This could be $100 or more.

To put MisterX's post in perspective, here is a concrete example. If I were to order just one β22 amp board (which has two 2oz copper layers, soldermask on both sides, silkscreen on top side only, about 300 holes, no testing or any other special requirements) the per-board cost would be $31 for a 2-week turnaround. Actually, it would cost $155 because there is a 5-board minimum. Add the $100 tooling cost, and the total becomes $255, not including shipping.

I buy β22 boards in quantity, so that I could offer them at $12 each. You can see why it doesn't really make sense to design your own board and have it fab'ed professionally if you just want one or two boards.

Jul 7, 2007 at 8:42 AM Post #12 of 17
you could always pick a project that has artwork from the Headwize library and try this---->

http://pcbsingles.com/

Dunno if it would work or not and their boards seem rather rudimentary given the price but I guess it might be a little easier then etching your own board (if you have never done it before).

Jul 7, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #13 of 17
Ive been doing some more reading and I think I might be better off doing some experimentation with DIY fabrication with toner and what. It would probably achieve the result Im looking for and would likely be very cost effective.

My only issue is the noise factor. I expect a diy board to be inferior in quality to that of a professionally done one...but will it effect the noise within the circuitry?

Jul 8, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #14 of 17
Jul 8, 2007 at 9:04 AM Post #15 of 17
toner method seems like the right thing to keep you busy
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm really keen on getting it done, I just need to find the chems here... but I highly doubt you'd be getting to anywhere near the high quality of the pro. manufactured boards.. I suggest you get a couple of the great boards offered by amb or tangent and see for yourself. you'll be getting unsurpassed quality boards, and, well.. a great base for an amp!
smily_headphones1.gif
good luck..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back