CMOY AMP Trouble! Pls HELP!
Nov 13, 2010 at 12:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

RisingTide

New Head-Fier
I've just bought parts and assembled them for my diy Cmoy Amp.
My cmoy schematics is based on this website http://williamneo.blogspot.com/2008/01/diy-cmoy-headphone-amplifier-for.html

And i'm stuck on Step 16

the part which im suppose to connect the volume control, 3.5mm input and output, im not sure which wire was suppose to be soldered to which part of the vol control and imput/output jack as it wasn't stated in the pic.
These are the parts i've bought.

The 10K Volume Control

3.5mm Input & Output Jack (front & back)           Side (plugged in)                                Back (plugged in)

which of the 4 holes (North, South, East, West) on the jack was suppose to be the GND, *R* In, *R* Out, *L* In and *L* Out?
same goes for the volume control?

-Sincerely RisingTide

Nov 13, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #2 of 8
tangent has a whole page devoted to wiring panel controls.

Looking at the pot the way you have photographed it, it is connected ground, out, in. For each deck.

Use an ohm meter and a mini-to-mini cable to figure out your jack. The tip is left, ring is right, sleeve is ground.

Nov 13, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 8

okay, so from the pic above:
the Top (North direction) one is the Ground / Sleeve

the Right (East) is the Ring / for Right Hand channel

the Bottom (South) is the Tip / for Left Hand channel?

what about the one on the Left (West).?

Nov 13, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 8
As far as I can tell from the pictures, the fourth pin (left) is connected to the bottom pin (left hand channel) when the plug isn't plugged in. And when you plug it in, the west pin is disconnected from the south pin. It's somekind of a switch, but you don't need it in your application. Just leave the Left (West) pin out.

And you have a wrong volume control potentiometer. First of all it's single, not dual. Dual pot has 6 pins in total. And secondly, it's a linear pot, but you need a logarithmic one. There's "B10K" written on your pot, but it should be "A10K". 'A' stands for logarithmic and 'B' for linear.

Nov 14, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #8 of 8
3 pins is for one channel only, but you have two (right and left). And there's no way of modding it. Besides as I said earlier, it's a linear pot and you need a logarithmic for volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back