Cloverfield - Discussion Thread.
Jan 21, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #46 of 61
I stayed and didn't hear anything at the end... maybe my theatre cut it off. I found the movie pretty unsatisfying. If it was just a little longer with a better ending... i would have been satisfied if they just showed how the government got a hold of the tape.

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #47 of 61
Some Spoilers:

Just got back from it, thought it was pretty good, although I'm a little thrown off by the short length...

The human elements got to me too, like being perfectly okay after having a piece of rebar removed from you, I thought there would've been a punctured lung from its position... or else all the irrational decisions being made(more so than you think panic would result in). Didn't these people watch enough monster movies to realise something bad could happen?
biggrin.gif

If you're in a helicopter for evacuation, shouldn't you be trying to fly away? Maybe they were trying to keep observation on the target, but you'd think the military would have another detachment taking care of it...

Someone mentioned the subway idea, well, I'll just say a suprise turns up
biggrin.gif

As for the audio at the end, it was basically a scrambled message over the radio, pretty quiet compared to credit music. I couldn't make any of it out, but another friend of mine said he heard something along the lines of "help us".

The shroud of mystery around the monster for the earlier half of the movie worked well in my opinion, although later when he apparently attempts to eat someone, he fails pretty bad, perhaps he didn't know you're supposed to chew your food first?
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebastian589 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did anyone notice something in the upper right corner of the screen when the footage of the two lovers (I've forgotten their names already) were on the ferris wheel at coney island?

Heh, I was actually looking for some small detail to stand out there, but happened to be looking at the wrong part of the screen. A friend next to me said it looked like a meteor splashed into the ocean.

Jan 21, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #48 of 61
[size=large]SPOILERS[/size]

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, he said "Help us."

You're both right. He said, "It's still alive, help us."

I've heard that the thing falling from the sky was a satellite that belongs to the company Rob was going to work for in Japan. (Tagruato)

Jan 21, 2008 at 9:06 AM Post #49 of 61
Bleh, saw it today and had to sit in one of the front rows. I still feel pretty nauseous. Otherwise, I thought it was very well done. Some scenarios were questionable, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and was disapointed that it ended rather early. The POV via the camcorder worked great (albeit the flurry of motions really does get sickening) in adding that sense of realism and I really felt drawn into the film.

Jan 21, 2008 at 9:20 AM Post #50 of 61
**...SPOILER

How can they survive such chopper crash?
Even the army (marine?) inside the chopper can't survive such accident.
But them... still able to stand, carry their friend along... oh well.
Also... the camera guy, does half of his body is eaten?

Finally... does anyone notice when the last scene before credits....
when the girl say "I had a good time" actually something is plug into the sea? ... safely I conclude the monster = alien?

Jan 21, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #51 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
**...SPOILER

How can they survive such chopper crash?
Even the army (marine?) inside the chopper can't survive such accident.
But them... still able to stand, carry their friend along... oh well.
Also... the camera guy, does half of his body is eaten?

Finally... does anyone notice when the last scene before credits....
when the girl say "I had a good time" actually something is plug into the sea? ... safely I conclude the monster = alien?

I didn't realize this right away, but I guess before the movie came out they ran a viral marketing scheme with websites and the such(similar to what's been done for the LOST tv show). Cloverfield Clues and Cloverfield News have a compilation of these clues for those with spare time.

I don't quite understand either why the three are the only ones to survive the crash, it's clearly plot driven, but I guess the crash is survivable since the helicopter didn't drop like a stone, as the prop was still going somewhat.

Just watching the situation isn't very clear whether half of the camera guy got eaten or not(easier for them not to show
biggrin.gif
), but I guess as part of the viral marketing promotion they made a myspace page for the character listing his height as 2' 6" or something, so it suggests he was partly eaten.

I also thought that whatever fell out of the sky in that scene was the monster as an alien, but I guess those online hints led to it maybe being a satellite instead.

Jan 21, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #54 of 61
I saw it last night with my daughter and her boyfriend. It was INTENSE. I figured it would be short, but it felt like it would never end. My daughter did not eat any of her carefully planned snacks. She was shaking when it was over.

Did the big and small monsters remind anyone else of Camel Spiders?

Laz

Jan 22, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #55 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
During one of the hectic moments, a woman suddenly jumped up from her seat and ran down the isle covering her mouth, most likely towards the bathroom.

That was unexpected and interesting

Motion sickness. Couldn't watch Cloverfield last night because a friend of mine who was coming has it.

Feb 2, 2008 at 8:15 AM Post #59 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spoiler in white:

I can't believe our monster survived a direct bomb hit to it's back

My only wish for a sequel is that we get conventional camera angles.

According to the viral marketing the monster lives deep in the ocean where the pressure is intense. The viral theory is it's skin is so tough living at that level that's why most of the weapons had no effect.

At the end of the credits, you can softly hear a voice saying "Help us," but when played backwards, says "It's still alive."

The satellite that hits the water at the end "wakes up" the monster."

They're supposedly going to do a sequel from another perspective. I enjoyed it.

Feb 2, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #60 of 61
I'll be curious if there's going to be a director's cut on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back