Cloverfield - Discussion Thread.
Jan 17, 2008 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

Capunk

1000+ Head-Fier
Whoever watch the movie, please let me know your impression.
Don't forget to add
tag, if you wanted to discuss about the movie plot.
Personally I felt a satisfactory, it's a great movie for opening this year
biggrin.gif

I would love to watch the sequel or prequel of this movie.

Jan 17, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 61
I'm not excited about it whatsoever, and don't understand the hype. So far the reviews say it's pretty mediocre, some good special effects but otherwise a standard monster movie.

Jan 17, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 61
the review in the Baltimore Sun had some good things to say about it, but honestly, i'm not a fan of that genre. action, comedy, drama, and that's about it.

though i definitely would like to hear some opinions.

Jan 17, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #5 of 61
I was pretty interested, which is a rarity in this genre, but so far the likely most accurate review is from Scott Foundas in the LA Weekly titled Cloverfield is a Horror.

Quote:

"Back in 2001, movie companies were rushing to cut images of the World Trade Center from movies like Men in Black II and People I Know... In 2008, a decapitated Statue of Liberty has become the primary marketing iconography for the movie that is 'tracking' to be the year's first bona fide blockbuster." But "the cheap and opportunistic Cloverfield suggests nothing so much as an earlier Abrams-authored disasterpiece, Armageddon, if it were rewritten by Mumblecore doyen Andrew Bujalski and shot on The Blair Witch Project's steady-shot-deficient handycam."

That differs a bit from the insane Ain't it Cool News review.

Quote:

"The movie is ****ing brilliant. It’s what we were told it was going to be. An intimate perspective on an impossibly grand scale human disaster beyond most human levels of comprehension... The creature isn’t the groundbreaking thing about the film. It is, but it isn’t... Like SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, but instead of Nazis it’s a giant monster.

Jan 18, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #6 of 61
Quote:

and bear in mind that Cloverfield runs all of 72 minutes, not counting its excruciatingly elongated end credits

I hate short movies.

Quote:

This time, the film is from the perspective of those people that live in those buildings that the monster is breaking through. This is about the people running in the street that scream, “GODZILLA!!!” and run. This is about trying to survive that insanity. Not just that, but to try and save one life.

This sounds interesting though, but I'm wondering if I might have a hard time watching it having experienced 9/11 firsthand.

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #7 of 61
I saw it this afternoon. It is a pretty ambitious movie in regards it being a major release movie. Why? The way it was shot. Entirely first person and no background music. The monster isn't the subject of the movie really. I liked it. There was a sense of reality to it in terms of how people might react in such an extreme situation.

Don't think of it as a monster movie. It has more relation to Blair Witch Project than anything.

Jan 19, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #10 of 61
In the first half of the 20th century, sci-fi cinema was born.

In the 50's and 60's sci-fi cinema came of age.

In the 70' and 80's sci-fi cinema matured elegantly.

In the 90's sci-fi cinema breathed it's last breaths.

In the first decade of the 21'st century, sci-fi cinema died.

RIP "real" sci-fi cinema.

If you wanna watch a monster movie rent Godzilla 1985.

Jan 19, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #11 of 61
Just watched it, I thought the movie was brilliant. Remember Blairwitch Project? Its similar, but way better, and the reality of the first person filming was un-believable. It really felt like you were one of the escaping victims. Special effect was awesome too, kinda reminds me of Independence Day.

Jan 19, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #12 of 61
So was the new Star Trek trailer attached? There was a pic posted yesterday...

star-trek-uss-enterprise-full

Jan 19, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #13 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So was the new Star Trek trailer attached? There was a pic posted yesterday...

http://www.aolcdn.com/aolmovies/star-trek-uss-enterprise-full[img][/i]
[/td] [/tr] [/table]

Yea, the trailer was there. Dec 2008 release I think?

I didn't know it was a star-trek movie until the end, when the "Enterprise" was shown.

Jan 19, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #15 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to see the original (and incidentally much better) version of "Cloverfield", check out "The Host".

Wow - that looks awesome!

GAD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back