clou blue cable for senn 580
Dec 1, 2002 at 10:53 PM Post #16 of 26
Hey dougbrad, I am originally from Church Point, and I went to school at USL! (UL-L my ass, they ain't foolin' me!)

There is practically no sonic difference between the two cables. The Clou Red has an additional layer of sheilding, and unless you use your headphones in a high RF environment (around a computer lab, for example) you likely will not be able to hear a difference.

Many people are willing to sell Clou's on the after market right now so they can afford an upgrade to the Equinox or Cardas. I suggest you put a request in the ForSale/Trade section for a Clou Blue. You should be able to find someone willing to sell one for around $60 shipped. You will get excellent performance upgrade for a relatively small sum.

Dec 2, 2002 at 12:16 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

There is practically no sonic difference between the two cables. The Clou Red has an additional layer of sheilding, and unless you use your headphones in a high RF environment (around a computer lab, for example) you likely will not be able to hear a difference.

I have to respectively differ with Jeff Guidry here. As bifcake pointed out, we found quite a large difference between the quality of sound of the Blue and the Red. This was not subtle and was immediately apparent. I did not think this would be the case given the supposedly minor contruction differences between the two. I never would have believed it if I hadn't heard it with my own ears.

I still think that the Blue is an improvement over the stock cable, but the Red is definitely worth a modest price difference. I would only recommend the Reds at this point (or one of the more expensive Cardas or Equinox cables).

Dec 2, 2002 at 12:38 AM Post #18 of 26
Just another vote for any Clou cable. I use the Clou Blue, and the change is very dramatic, and represents one of the biggest "tweaks" to my system, much more than interconnect changes.

Dec 2, 2002 at 1:37 AM Post #19 of 26
I used a Blue Clou for many months before I upgraded to a Cardas. IMO there is a much greater improvement going from stock to Blue than going from Blue to Cardas. Definitely a much bigger bang for your buck.

Dec 2, 2002 at 8:29 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
Bif...

Is there any way you could find out which model it was that sounded ill? I'm slowly warming to the idea of getting a pair of ATs, but I don't want to end up getting a dud

Thanks

Yeah, I'll find out from Bozebuttons. It was his set of phones.

Dec 2, 2002 at 8:32 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
i realise that there's an implied "imho" but can i also point out that the difference between the cardas and equinox is a personal preference. the cardas has a different sound and presentation to the other three after-market cables. Most head-fi members do have a preference for the equinox but there's a few minority that prefers the cardas. One such member is Jude, his review can be found here http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...&threadid=8751

i havent heard the Equinox myself. but when I was purchasing, I was hoping the cable will provide more detail, a brighter and more forward presentation and the cardas has done that.

Everyone at the NYC meet felt that the Equinox was the best sounding of the bunch. So, I'd have to qualify my statements with "ioho - in OUR humble opinion".

BTW, as a side note, when I was at the Home Entertainment show in May, I listened to the stock and cardas cables and I heard NO difference. Whereas, at the NYC meet, I heard a HUGE difference. This leads me to believe that the components within the chain play an important part with regard to the differences we hear among different cables. Therefore, these differences may not be AS readily apparent with different equipment. However, having tried a number of different setups, the consensus was unanimous that the Equinox was the best aftermarket cable.

Dec 2, 2002 at 8:54 AM Post #22 of 26
bifcake,

synergy is definitely everything. some times i wonder if there is any point to a review when all the associated eq are so different to my own.

The consensus may indeed be the Equinox beats out the Cardas but the consensus also seems to be that the Grado SR325 is shrilly and unbearable. well.., i love my SR325 and many other members has stated they prefer the cardas over the equinox. I have no problem with the idea that 95% of head-fiers prefer the equinox but that doesnt make it a "fact" nor is it unanimous, there is still 5% that prefers others including the clou.

Dec 2, 2002 at 8:58 AM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

bifcake,

The consensus may indeed be the Equinox beats out the Cardas but the consensus also seems to be that the Grado SR325 is shrilly and unbearable. well.., i love my SR325 and many other members has stated they prefer the cardas over the equinox. I have no problem with the idea that 95% of head-fiers prefer the equinox but that doesnt make it a "fact" nor is it unanimous, there is still 5% that prefers others including the clou.

Cardas is not a bad cable. Equinox is better though. The SR325 ARE shrill and bright.

PT Barnum once said that "There is a sucker born every day" (at least I think PT Barnum said that). That could explain the 5%.
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2002 at 9:42 AM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by bifcake
Cardas is not a bad cable. Equinox is better though. The SR325 ARE shrill and bright.

PT Barnum once said that "There is a sucker born every day" (at least I think PT Barnum said that). That could explain the 5%.
biggrin.gif

LOL
biggrin.gif

and who's PT Barnum?

Dec 2, 2002 at 9:44 AM Post #25 of 26
Taoster,
I agree with you completely! Synergy is definitely everything. For instance, my SR-225 sound awfully bright with the Meta42 with AD845, while another...the SR-225 sound awfully dark with the TAH. Well, to me...it sound best with Cmoy. I've not heard the Cha47 though.

Dec 2, 2002 at 9:51 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

LOL
biggrin.gif

and who's PT Barnum?

PT Barnum ran a travelling circus in the US in the later part of the 19th century. He exposed to the world various curiosities such as Tom Thumb, Siamese Twins and others who would now be considered "persons with disabilities", but back then referred to as "freaks of nature". He essentially put on a show that attracted tremendous crowds and made him quite wealthy. In fact, he's become so wealthy, that he has been elevated to the stature of an elder statesman/philosopher here, in the US. In fact, think of him as the American Confucious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back