Closed vs. Open
Dec 2, 2008 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Nubster

100+ Head-Fier
Looked around and didn't see it but I may have missed the answer but I was wondering why open phones are considered better as far as sound quality than closed? From a noob point of view, well, my point of view, I would have thought closed were better since the phones are enclosing the ear and all the sound is right there. But that is why I am here, to learn about the things I thought were so but I was wrong and to learn lots of new things.

Dec 2, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #2 of 21
Open headphones don't have to do design gymnastics to deal with the sound waves coming from the back of the drivers.

Closed headphones do.

That isn't to say closed headphones can't sound good - they can, but they tend to require more engineering.

Dec 2, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #3 of 21
Makes sense. Now a follow up, could that be countered by having an open back but still fully covering the ears or would there not really be any point to this? Are there "hybrid" headphones like that? How do they compare to a straight open or closed design? Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I was wondering about this while reading/learning about headphones so I figured I would ask.

Dec 2, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nubster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Makes sense. Now a follow up, could that be countered by having an open back but still fully covering the ears or would there not really be any point to this? Are there "hybrid" headphones like that? How do they compare to a straight open or closed design? Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I was wondering about this while reading/learning about headphones so I figured I would ask.

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but that would make them open headphones. there is no in between.

Dec 2, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #6 of 21
Its also a matter of preference... some prefer the open sound whereas some prefer Closed..although it seems weird because main purpose of closed is to block external sound.

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by yukihiro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
someone correct me if i'm wrong, but that would make them open headphones. there is no in between.

arent the DT880 labeled as "semi-open?"

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its also a matter of preference... some prefer the open sound whereas some prefer Closed..although it seems weird because main purpose of closed is to block external sound.

some people prefer the sound of a kenwood or bose system over a real high fidelity system. somethings just don't make sense.

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kukrisna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
arent the DT880 labeled as "semi-open?"

yeah, but i've read that semi-open is pretty much just open

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AKG K240S is also "semi-open" but i've read they leak as much as any other open headphone.

Eh. The K140/K141/K240 series was designed to not leak into a microphone placed in front of the wearer under most conditions.

Dec 2, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #12 of 21
Good point ericj, and one that many people miss.

There are two criteria for closed phones: isolation, and containment.

Containment stops others from hearing what you hear. Absolutely vital for recording with a mike! Vital in libraries. Vital while watching TV with others who are not wearing HPs (due to delay and distance the non-HP listeners would hear something echo-like). Courteous on trains, planes, etc.

Isolation blocks outside sound. Great for a dorm room.

Closed circumaural phones tend to do both of these, but not always. Denon D2000s do not isolate, for example. Some closed supraural phones do a pretty good job too, of containment anyway.

But the sound quality of closed phones will suffer, especially frequency response since there is nowhere for the displaced air to go. The top end studio phones from Ultrasone and beyer seem to have beaten this to some degree, their closed phones are pretty amazing (and expensive).

But in the end, closed phones have design criteria (containment and isolation) that cut against SQ.

Semi-open is a clever idea to get SQ back while preserving some containment, so they can be used in studios in front of mikes. It actually works. 600-ohm beyer 880's are among the best HPs on the market from an SQ standpoint, and they do see studio use (I am told).

Nubster -- "Enclosing" the ear is about circumaural vs supraural, not open vs closed. You had the concept right, almost: the best phones will be circumaural, but open and not closed.

Snap on a pair of K701's -- about as obviously open and circumaural as you can get -- and see how great they are.

Dec 2, 2008 at 10:29 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Open headphones don't have to do design gymnastics to deal with the sound waves coming from the back of the drivers.

Closed headphones do.

That isn't to say closed headphones can't sound good - they can, but they tend to require more engineering.

Is there any Closed headphone which has the Soundstage of HD600?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back