closed unamped headphone for gaming < $300
Sep 23, 2008 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

themanbeast

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

I'm trying to round out my headphone collection, and it seems that what I'm missing is a decent closed headphone. I do quite a bit of competitive gaming and LANning, so I need a good pair of cans that are sturdy. I've tried the Sennheiser HD-280 before, but wasn't a big fan of them because they would hurt my head from the clamping force. I also wasn't a big fan of the sound signature of the 280.

Here's the criteria I am looking to meet:

- Closed design

- Under $300 USD

- Must sound good unamped

- not perfect isolation, but enough to be able to concentrate when I have to, but hear people talking to me otherwise

- can handle the occasional tossing around without too much trouble (for example, dropping the bag to the floor 6-10 inches and then realizing the cans are inside it type thing)

- decent for rock music for the intermissions

I was looking at some of the ultrasone line, because I like the looks of some of them, but I don't know if they would be a good fit or if they make headphones that could be used without an amp. my primary source is a x-fi prelude, which has a built in opamp that seems to adequately power my '05 DT-880s that I use at home. As I am trying to become more acquainted with other brands as well, I'm trying to stay away from getting the 770 pros or the Audio Technica A700/900 unless they are really the best I can find for my needs.

Sep 23, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #2 of 17
D2000 should fit the bill ok.

Sep 23, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #4 of 17
You can probably do a bit better for the budget, but Audio-Technica A900's should fit the bill nicely, despite your unexplained objections. The main thing in their favor is that they are very easy to drive. With most other headphones in this class, including the DT770/80's, a lot, if not most, people will tell you that you really need an amp. Personally, I think that DT770/80's are even OK without one, and I'm sure a few people would agree with me.

But ya... what you describe - good for gaming, easy to drive without amp, mildly isolating - sounds very much like an A900.

Sep 23, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by shleepy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can probably do a bit better for the budget, but Audio-Technica A900's should fit the bill nicely, despite your unexplained objections. The main thing in their favor is that they are very easy to drive. With most other headphones in this class, including the DT770/80's, a lot, if not most, people will tell you that you really need an amp. Personally, I think that DT770/80's are even OK without one, and I'm sure a few people would agree with me.

But ya... what you describe - good for gaming, easy to drive without amp, mildly isolating - sounds very much like an A900.

its more or less that I already have an AD-700 and I'm looking to try different brands and sound signatures. I agree with your opinion on the 880, as I use my 880 with just hte opamp in my x-fi prelude and it runs beautifully. It just leaks too much sound for a LAN.

would any of the AKG models be good for this purpose? Right now I'm looking at the D200, 80 ohm DT-250 (looks like it might isolate too much for my taste though), the K271, and the A900/Dt-770 pro as a last resort.

Not that the A900 would be a bad can by any means, especially for my purpose, but I'm trying to expand my horizon with headphones.

edit: I was also looking at the Ultrasone models, theres a couple of 70 ohm models I found that my X-Fi's built in amp should be plenty for, but I don't know what model would be a good fit and be in my price range, so unless someone can point me in the right direction they are probably out.

Sep 23, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The dt-250's isolate a bit, but not all that much, less than dt-770's imho.

if you had to compare the two sound quality wise, what would the differences be? How different is the 250 from the 770?

and I guess, my biggest question, how much does each differ from the 880? I love my 880, but want to keep trying things that are different. I don't even really know what I don't like as far as SQ yet.

edit: looking into the Ultrasone Proline 500s now as well, I really like the look of them, but thats about as much as I know about them :p

Sep 24, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by renugaid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D2000 should fit the bill ok.

Yeah, this would be my recommendation at the moment since you're opposed to A900s.

I have both at the moment (actually might be selling both as well) and they're just as easy to drive as the A900s, they do isolate less. Both are very good though, especially what you're wanting them for.

Sep 24, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #11 of 17
No amplification because bringing an amp to a Lan tourny probably wont be a great place to set it up, and in gaming you dont necesarily need great sound, just good seperation and emphasis on mids and highs.
I did quite a few Cs 1.6 lans but I mainly used my IEMs (shure 530s), which i wouldnt recommend as they tend to make u focus on those awp shots and nades oO.

Dave

Sep 24, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #13 of 17
Not the D2000s but I used the D5000s. I used them pre Markl modded and after. Pre Mmodded they were totally bass heavy. I felt grenades, deagle and barret shots, and rockets. After Markl modding the mids and highs were brought in line with the bass and receded the bass just enough to keep it nice but not boomy. Separation also benefited greatly from the mod. Could hear up and down as well as left, right, and centre much more easily. If you can afford some dynamat and a couple hours to do the mod then your set.

Sep 24, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #14 of 17
If bass isn't a issue, Id look for a used pair of DT48. Id give them 3 1/2 stars for gaming. No dynmaic can in production can top their detail. And I heard very detailed headphones. DT880/SA5000. They sound great with sound effects. Just sounds real. And if the game has a accustic sound track you are in for a marvelous treat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back