Closed, portable and affordable?
May 8, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #32 of 48
Wow, thanks for all the replies, guys. It's not everyday you ask for help on a message board and get a flood of helpful responses.

I think at this time, I'm leaning towards the ATH-FC7's. I mean, they seem to fit all my criteria, and the whole issue of portability? Well, this picture helped answer that question:

127122696_c8b4b2db3b.jpg

How much would bluetin.com charge for shipping to NYC, do you think? I don't want to bother them with a quote request unless I'm sure I'm buying.

May 8, 2006 at 12:58 PM Post #33 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai
Sony clone of the PX200? Is it the Sony MDR-710SL?

Yes. The U.S. version is called the 710LP. They're compared against the PX100 and HP-460 here. Another comparison is found at Audiostation.

May 9, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #34 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul_in_Maryland
Yes. The U.S. version is called the 710LP. They're compared against the PX100 and HP-460 here. Another comparison is found at Audiostation.

Same link... but doesn't make a difference as I copy and pasted it.

The FC7's are around $5 for shipping from Bluetin.
But I still think the HP460's are a cheaper and better choice.

May 9, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #35 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
Same link... but doesn't make a difference as I copy and pasted it.

The FC7's are around $5 for shipping from Bluetin.
But I still think the HP460's are a cheaper and better choice.

Do you think they're close enough in quality to have me make my decision on which one I think looks better? ...cause the FC7 wins (for me) in that regard.

Oh, and a side question (and pardon my naivety); would a set like the FC7's drain my Creative Zen Vision: M's battery considerably faster?

May 9, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #36 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by TerminallyOdd
Do you think they're close enough in quality to have me make my decision on which one I think looks better? ...cause the FC7 wins (for me) in that regard.

Oh, and a side question (and pardon my naivety); would a set like the FC7's drain my Creative Zen Vision: M's battery considerably faster?

I haven't heard either headphone yet, but given their prices, they're probably fairly close in terms of sound quality. Either one would be an appreciable jump from a mass-market headphone for sure.

They're also both rated at 32 Ohms, so very easy to drive from a portable source. You won't need to crank up the volume much to get loud music, no need to worry about the battery.

May 17, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #37 of 48
Hate to bump this, but I think now I may be considering an IEM. I don't know how well I'll take to it, but I've been using a cheap set of MX300's I bought from J&R the other day, and I really like the portability of it. They sound kinda crappy and don't stay in my ear very well, but I think I wanna give something a bit more high end and in-ear a shot.

I'm considering the Senn CX300 or better yet the Creative EP-630 (since I've read they're basically the same but cheaper, have a Y-cord, etc.), but I'm just wondering how easily the foam tips come off? The foam pads on both my Creative stock buds and MX300's constantly fall off when I take them out of my bag, and I would love to have something small that won't have that problem.

Oh, and what's an IEM like anyway? I know they say the sound is like in your head, but does it sound tiny, like earbuds? Does the bass really thump? Thanks, guys.

May 17, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #38 of 48
Quote:

I'm considering the Senn CX300 or better yet the Creative EP-630 (since I've read they're basically the same but cheaper, have a Y-cord, etc.), but I'm just wondering how easily the foam tips come off?

It's not really a problem, they stay on pretty well.

Quote:

Oh, and what's an IEM like anyway? I know they say the sound is like in your head, but does it sound tiny, like earbuds? Does the bass really thump? Thanks, guys.

No, it doesn't sound tiny, but maybe not as airy and open as with proper headphones. Some IEM's aren't very bassy, but the EP-630 are quite bass-heavy indeed. Isolation is pretty good, but you need to clip the cords to your collar, or else the microphonics (loud noise every time the cord jostles) will drive you crazy.

HOWEVER: IMO, you're giving up a decent amount of sound quality against the headphones you were looking at before. You'd have to move up to something better than a cx300/ep-630 to compete; an im716, perhaps.

May 17, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #39 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega
HOWEVER: IMO, you're giving up a decent amount of sound quality against the headphones you were looking at before. You'd have to move up to something better than a cx300/ep-630 to compete; an im716, perhaps.

You mean as compared to the ATH-FC7's? Interesting.

May 17, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #40 of 48
Actually, I should have said "that have been mentioned above"; I don't really know the ATH-FC7's; I was thinking the K81dj's and HP-460. Maybe the FC7's too, but I couldn't vouch for it myself.

May 17, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #42 of 48
Well, I went out and bought the CX300. I had a $25 gift card from J&R, so I went over there on my lunch break. As for the phones, when I manage to get a good seal (which takes a bit of fumbling for me right now) the sound is amazing. I'm really impressed. I still have to figure out the quickest and simplest way to get that seal.

I'm not crazy about the J-cable, but I knew about it before purchasing it. I would have gotten the Y-cabled EP-630's, but I can't find those anywhere.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the purchase. Thanks guys.

May 17, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #43 of 48
Quote:

Hate to bump this, but I think now I may be considering an IEM.

If you can afford to go up to $69 you might consider the iM716 while its at this lower price point. Lots of bass for an IEM, even more if you switch them into bass mode, very detailed, maybe not the most musical can but hard to beat for $69. Search the forums, lot's of comments on these over the last couple weeks.

Good Luck!

May 18, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #44 of 48
Hey guys I am from Australia and I want to get my hands on the Philips HP460's, but I can't find them anywhere. Do any of you know which places ship internationally? This forum is fantastic you guys have really helped me pick some headphones - its been really hard to find good info out there.
If there is no way I can get the Philips, what is another that is similar to it in quality and price that you would recommend?
Thanks again guys.

May 19, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #45 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbot
Hey guys I am from Australia and I want to get my hands on the Philips HP460's, but I can't find them anywhere. Do any of you know which places ship internationally? This forum is fantastic you guys have really helped me pick some headphones - its been really hard to find good info out there.
If there is no way I can get the Philips, what is another that is similar to it in quality and price that you would recommend?
Thanks again guys.

Try Amazon US, I know they ship internationally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back