Closed, Over ear, Great Isolation and Portability Sub $100 as gift, Options?
Apr 24, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #16 of 29
Would you say that the average consumer would like them?

My instinct is to say that I have no idea but given that consumers today favor at least something of a bass boost, I would say no. I honestly couldn't stand listen to them for very long because of the brightness. I know that they're common in studios. All I can say is I feel pretty bad for those guys.

Apr 24, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #17 of 29
  Maybe the HD280? They looks really odd, but they actually sound quite good IMO. 

Do you think that they sound better than the V6?

Apr 24, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #19 of 29
I've owned both at the same time and preferred the hd280. The clamping force of the v6 was too much for my larger than average head and I agree that they were trebly. I remember the sound of the 280s as being pretty faultless.

Apr 24, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #20 of 29
My preference is starting to tilt toward the HD280. Anyone else going to try and suggest something else, or why I should or shouldn't get something?

Apr 24, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #23 of 29
I can definitely recommend the Koss Pro DJ200s as a budget option.  They are fairly portable and comfortable (once you buy the pair of ATH-M50 replacement pads).   I work from the local library and no one has complained about my headphones leaking. 

Amazon has them on sale for 69 (which is less than I paid).
http://www.amazon.com/Koss-ProDj200-Studio-Headphone-Silver/dp/B007CNC79A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1398361660&sr=1-1&keywords=koss+dj+pro+200

if you are going to get the pads as well and still be under budget, I would suggest you get them from Sweetwater.  Great customer service and cheaper than anywhere else. (9.99 per pad)
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ATHM50EarPad

Apr 24, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #25 of 29
I've heard of the dolphin and heard that it was pretty good, and I love the accessories that come with it.
It might be between the Dolphin now and the HD280.

I'd rather not get things from Amazon though, since shipping to Australia is a pain, and can get expensive.

is the HD280 durable?

Apr 24, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #26 of 29
I love My KOSS prodj200,s .... Amazing details and clarity ... the sound stage isn't huge but is natural....

It is around 70 bucks on amazon...I love the details

Apr 24, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #27 of 29
A few more options:

ATH M50 for more bass
Shure SRH 440 if you want really nice imaging, good soundstage for a closed portable, and dont mind a little light on bass.

To summarize:

SRH 440
Sound signature: Neutral, forward mids, a little light on bass, great imaging and depth
Isolation: 7/10
Comfort: 8/10
Portability: 7/10
Strengths: imaging, neutrality
Biggest weakness: bass

HD280
Sound signature: Very neutral, slightest hint of warmth, average soundstage (a little better than the V6)
Isolation: 8/10
Comfort: 7/10 (nice pads but serious clamping force when new)
Portability: 6/10
Strengthss: Neutrality, naturalness, isolation, durability
Biggest weakness: Looks pretty stupid, slightly veiled upper midrange on some tracks can make it a little boring

ATH M50
Sound signature: V-shaped (emphasized bass and treble), recessed mids, small soundstage
Comfort: 6/10
Portability: 6.5/10
Strengths: bass, isolation, durability; new version has replaceable cable
Weaknesses: recessed mids, small soundstage

V6
Sound signature: neutral, slightly bright, average soundstage, a hair light on bass
Isolation: 6/10
Strengths: Neutrality, comfort, industry standard monitoring and mixing headphone
Weaknesses: Boring, flat sound, not very dynamic

UE6000
Sound signature: moderately colored, slightly v-shaped, above average soundstage
Comfort: 9/10
Portability: 8/10
Strengths: Fun, balanced, good soundstage, replaceable cable, in-line mic
Weaknesses: Not very neutral tonality, mediocre build quality - not professional headphones

If you're buying a gift for someone who likes mostly pop music, I would look at the UE6000 and ATH M50, or SRH 440 if they don't like a lot of bass.

Apr 24, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #28 of 29
  A few more options:

ATH M50 for more bass
Shure SRH 440 if you want really nice imaging, good soundstage for a closed portable, and dont mind a little light on bass.

To summarize:

SRH 440
Sound signature: Neutral, forward mids, a little light on bass, great imaging and depth
Strengths: imaging, neutrality
Biggest weakness: isolation, bass

HD280
Sound signature: Very neutral, slightest hint of warmth, average soundstage (a little better than the V6)
Comfort: 7/10 (nice pads but serious clamping force when new)
Portability: 6/10
Strengthss: Neutrality, naturalness, isolation, durability
Biggest weakness: Looks pretty stupid, slightly veiled upper midrange on some tracks can make it a little boring

ATH M50
Sound signature: V-shaped (emphasized bass and treble), recessed mids, small soundstage
Comfort: 6/10
Portability: 6.5/10
Strengths: bass, isolation, durability; new version has replaceable cable
Weaknesses: recessed mids, small soundstage

V6
Sound signature: neutral, slightly bright, average soundstage, a hair light on bass
Strengths: Neutrality, comfort, industry standard monitoring and mixing headphone
Weaknesses: Boring, flat sound, not very dynamic

UE6000
Sound signature: moderately colored, slightly v-shaped, above average soundstage
Comfort: 9/10
Portability: 8/10
Strengths: Fun, balanced, good soundstage, replaceable cable, in-line mic
Weaknesses: Not very neutral tonality, mediocre build quality - not professional headphones

If you're buying a gift for someone who likes mostly pop music, I would look at the UE6000 and ATH M50, or SRH 440 if they don't like a lot of bass.

Thanks for the detailed comparison. 
I think that you've lent me toward the UE6000 now. Top 40s music is definitely pop right? I think that a fun sort of sound might be best. 
Thanks a lot, appreciate it, looks like the UE6000 might be the one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back