Closed isolating cans for new-to-hifi-friend
Feb 12, 2009 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Dr. Strangelove

100+ Head-Fier
Getting a friend in to Hi Fi headphones.

After talking with her, she wants a can that can be used for extended listening at home, on a train, bus, or car. I asked what music she listens to the most, no preference. I then asked what music would she want to sound the best, she claimed acoustical stuff (though she would want her synthesized music to sound good as well).

Because they are going to be used in moderately noisy environments, they need to provide good isolation, but not be so uncomfortable that they hurt for extended listening.

Appearance is not most important. So large closed cans like DT770s are not out. But a pair that is portable would be quite good.

Source will be a Zune, I was thinking about a Bio-Science-geek Cmoy for amplification.

Total budget is 200 USD.

Had in mind Beyers, MB Quart, Ultrasone, M-audio, and I know AKG makes a few good closed cans.

Feb 12, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #2 of 16
The MB Quart, now GermanMAESTRO, closed headphones hardly isolates. At least not the 250 and 450 models.

AKG K272 would be a good choice. Good isolation and great with acoustical stuff, but also with other genres.

Feb 12, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #4 of 16
Feb 12, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #6 of 16
Mkay 770, K272, and M-Audio it seems.

I read the PDF comparison. Too old to mention the 272 or M-audio. So I would like some comparison of those two in relation to the 770s please.

Btw, is the 272 any different vs the 271?

Feb 12, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw, is the 272 any different vs the 271?

No. Same headphones. K272 comes with velour earpads, K271 Mk II with velour and vinly pads plus extra cable.
K271 Mk II is aimed at professional market, K272 at consumer market.
They sound the same.

Feb 12, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #8 of 16
I've only been listening to them for an hour, but the Sony MDR-7509HD arrived today. They're from Sony's pro line. So far, I'm fairly impressed with them. I've run a few of my reference tracks through them on both the Si2A3 and the iPod - they're sensitive enough to use straight from an iPod (and presumably a Zune) though they sound terrific on tubes. Bass is nicely extended, the mids are sweet and the highs are crisp. Not as quite as detailed or fast as some headphones I've heard, but my initial impressions are good.

They also fold up like the MDR-V6 does, which I'm happy with. I've got some extended air travel coming up next month and I was hoping these would be a good pair of closed cans to take along. So far, I think they're going to work out just fine.

The MDR-7509HD sells for just about $200 on eBay, but I found these used for about $80.

Feb 12, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #9 of 16
^Some have said they do not isolate well (Amazon review comments).

Feb 12, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIR...

The DT770/80 seems best for her because it isolates well. However, I suggest going with a Fiio E5 instead of the cmoy because it will better tame the top end of the DT770 and a little of its bass.

Feb 12, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #11 of 16
Got a recommendation for the ATH-ESW9.

Any thoughts?

Feb 12, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kjettar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think ESW-9 are closer to 300$ than to 200$

Person who recommended them said to get them used.

But I have read they have poor isolation so that won't work.

Feb 12, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #14 of 16
Best cheapest isolating headphone I know is Senneiser HD280. It's a bit too neutral for acoustic, but it does great with synth music. The clamp on those are so tight, they almost isolate as well as IEMs. Another choice is a HD25. It's on the air instead of circumaural so it might hurt for long periods of use (3+ hours)

Edit: I wear a 7 1/4 cap size, and I don't feel the clamp like others do. I find it quite comforing...like someone hugging my head. Does get hot during the summer since there is 0 air flow to the ears.

Feb 12, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #15 of 16
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Audio Technica ES7s. They sound very good, look good, and are fairly portable. I like mine quite a bit and there are a lot of ES7 fans here. Try a search. Make sure you get them from a reputable source since it seems there are some fakes.

Mooch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back