Closed hp for classical music, any recommend?
Apr 9, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT
I have tried most closed cans available in that price range, spare ED9 and JVC DX1000, and to day my favorites are W5000 and K271S.

Good to hear. My wife just told me that my K271 has arrived. Just pulled the trigger on a pair of additional velours pads as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #17 of 28
Apr 9, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone please report that...

Anyways, some thoughts with regards to the OP:
1. If you decide to get a D5000, please just go straight to modding it, the stock version just can't control its bass.
2. Another vote for W5000, but you have to make sure the fit works, so it is best to buy used.

where to mod? how long does it take?

Apr 9, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #19 of 28
I have to chime in here. I owned the the W5000s for 3 days. Classical music is the only music I tested on them as it is primarilly what I listen to. I found the sound to almost offensively bad. I had a good fit as I do have a big head. I found the sound to be shrill, nasal, completely absent of accurate imaging. And the thought that it was 700 dollars was obscene to me.

I own the Denon D5000 and I agree this is a fine fine headphone for most genres and very good with classical. While it is closed it doesn't prevent much leakage. If you are looking for a closed headphone with more isolation and leakage control consider the Beyerdynamic DT770 250 ohm 2003 edition.

If price is no issue, I still think that the Sony R10s excel in classical far and above any other headphone closed or open. I really can't understand how the W5000 gets any praise, as I honest to god prefer the apple buds and every single bose product I have ever tried to the W5000.

Apr 10, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to chime in here. I owned the the W5000s for 3 days. Classical music is the only music I tested on them as it is primarilly what I listen to. I found the sound to almost offensively bad. I had a good fit as I do have a big head. I found the sound to be shrill, nasal, completely absent of accurate imaging. And the thought that it was 700 dollars was obscene to me.

W5000 are quite source/amp picky, what was your setup?

Apr 10, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

If price is no issue, I still think that the Sony R10s excel in classical far and above any other headphone closed or open. I really can't understand how the W5000 gets any praise, as I honest to god prefer the apple buds and every single bose product I have ever tried to the W5000.

Well then something was wrong. lol May be fit or something else, but the W5000 is just about better than anything I've thrown at it, including all of the cans I've sold(in my sig).

Are you used to darker headphones such as the denons and sennheisers?

Apr 10, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

That does not sound like you got a good fit sir. Either that or whatever amp/source you have is just not worth it. (Silly example - the infamous Golden SinglePower Maestro managed to produce no soundstage and very compressed sound with a balanced W5000, while just about any other amp at that meet worked at least decently with em).

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben9999imsc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where to mod? how long does it take?

Check mall-fi, or contact markl, he does the mods for it at a cost, or you can follow his directions in a thread he put up.

Apr 10, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #23 of 28
My source at that time was Stello DA100, and my amp was a RSA HR2............ I recall showing the cans to a few people and they were in shock about the sound of such an expensive headphone. My sennheisers and beyers were prefered, as was my Denon D5000. I did not own the R10s at the time.

Apr 10, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #24 of 28
+1 for W5000 too. I love mine both with and without Fitz Mod for classical.

ps. my amp is Corda Opera and source is PC >> PS Audio digital link III
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #26 of 28
271 with soft pads and a good cable are great with classical.

Not the most bass but very nice, organic, coherent presentation - not unlike the 501 itself.

They can scale nicely as well.

I too think they are a little under recommended round here.

Build quality is tough to beat as well.

Apr 10, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

My source at that time was Stello DA100, and my amp was a RSA HR2............ I recall showing the cans to a few people and they were in shock about the sound of such an expensive headphone. My sennheisers and beyers were prefered, as was my Denon D5000. I did not own the R10s at the time.

That just doesn't sound right, defective cans?
confused.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #28 of 28
Just to add my two cents (man, it has been a while since I've posted here):

I agree with DavidMahler that the R10 is by far the best choice, and the AT line is not a good choice (at least for me and DM). But because the R10 is outside of your price limits, I would seriously consider whether you *need* closed phones. If not, the K701 and the HD650 are both ridiculously good headphones and you can save tons of money for music. If you do need closed headphones for some reason (and many of these closed headphones leak a lot of sound anyway), the D5000 is probably you best choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back