Closed Headphones with a BIG soundstage?
Mar 9, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By far. Duggeh, what is your avatar?

plaidplatypus...out of curiosity, why are you selling off all those cans (dx1000 included)? k701's seem to trade hands quite often, but it's not every day you see a dx1000 up for grabs
tongue.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By far. Duggeh, what is your avatar?

Its Teal'c from SG-1. "Indeed" is like his catchphrase and there was an episode where they went back to 1969, which the picture is from.

Btw if I had the cash, Id have made you an offer for those JVCs already. They've well and truly supplanted the K1000 as my top wish list headphone.

Mar 10, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by jay spec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
plaidplatypus...out of curiosity, why are you selling off all those cans (dx1000 included)? k701's seem to trade hands quite often, but it's not every day you see a dx1000 up for grabs
tongue.gif

I wish to have a better source for my Lambda; Then I'll want a better amp to drive them and better music to listen to. Once I have better music to listen to I'll want better headphones with more comfort, cruise control, and power steering.

Mar 10, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by raif /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Believe it or not, I was really hoping someone would come along and say that. I feel bad, but I love AT woodies, always wanted one since back when the 2002's were still in production.

I did have some time with the phone, but I couldn't remember the soundstage. I do know that most AT tend to sound similar to me, and many are stating that the 950ltd have a really small soundstage.

If any one else wants to chime in on the w5000 soundstage, I might have just found what i was looking for.

By the way, my setup at work consists of an entech 205.2 -> tomahawk. People have always said that the rsa amps mate well with the ATs, so.... sell me people!!!

Hi,
I have AKG K1000 and AT W5000 and IMO K1000 is good comparison point
about soundstage.
W5000 imaging and soundstage are very good and not small at all,
of course not as wide and deep as K1000.
I think the reason why some of us think it has closed soundstage is the fact that near sound sources on W5000 are almost in your face at the same time
far sources are pretty far. Imaging on W5000 also depends on amp one use.

P.S. For closed headphones - I had really good experience with FOSTEX headphones, it's professional studio gear and sound neutral and clean, also a steal for that money.

Apr 18, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #35 of 41
RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!!!!!

So, as it tuns out, I ended up grabbing the Denon D5000s.(hooray for the dark horse!)

I have just started the "burn-in" process, so no comments. Right off the bat I am feeling a lot of love for these phones. A little bass heavy, but in a good way and none of the usual sucked out midrange or overly analytical presentation normally seen with high end closed cans.

Apr 18, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #36 of 41
congratulations! i'm hoping the denons will be at headfest this weekend so i can take a listen. hope you'll post your thoughts on them once you've had adequate listening time
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #37 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by raif /img/forum/go_quote.gif

denon something-5000 - haven't heard anything about these, keeping my fingers crossed.

You can uncross them, D2000 (and I assume D5000 too) have huge, bigger than HD650 soundstage.
Proline 750 soundstage is like mouse against elephant in comparison.

Apr 18, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #39 of 41
Some initial impressions:

I have never heard electronic music sound like it does on the Denon.

I have been putting the Denon through its paces through my music library. On most genres they sound like a great headphone with an agreeable sound signature, something unique only in the sense that I have never found it in a closed headphone before.

Then I tried a few electronic tracks...

The same sophistication that I see in the Grado's reproduction of rock, the Sennheiser's portrayal of classical or Sony's allegiance to analytical precision, is apparent in the Denon's production of Electronic music. I have played through a variety of songs from the admittedly large "electronic" genre. Anywhere from Bassnectar to Radiohead's Kid A, these headphones have shined like true high class headphones.

Apr 18, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #40 of 41
I take it you're saying that electronica is their strongest genre? If so, how well do they do with rock? Surely the PS-1s beat them at that?

I'm getting *very* intrigued by those Denons.... Maybe we should hold another flash mini-meet or 1 day headphone swap in the Bay Area
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I take it you're saying that electronica is their strongest genre? If so, how well do they do with rock? Surely the PS-1s beat them at that?

Electronica is where I am most enamored with these headphones. They do rock very well for a closed can, but for being a grado man and coming from the ps-1 everything feels lackluster in that genre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back