Closed Headphones with a BIG soundstage?
Mar 6, 2007 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

raif

Headphoneus Supremus
I am currently in the market for a pair of closed heaphones. I already own the westone es2, so I am covered on the isolation front. What I am looking for is a pair of headphones for work that will compliment(re. contrast) my iems.

Basically I am looking for a analytical phone with a BIG soundstage. My options seem to be:

sony cd3k - maybe my best option, depends on how much they are going for nowadays

AT w5000 - what I would love to buy, always wanted a wood audio technica. unfortunately it doesn't seem to have a large soundstage.

sony r10 - like I will ever find a pair of these

jvc dx-1000 - i really wanted to give these a try but a lot of people have spoken about its funky sound signature and weird "hollow" sound

denon something-5000 - haven't heard anything about these, keeping my fingers crossed.

AT l3000 - sorry, not paying nearly 2 grand for leather(though maybe....
smily_headphones1.gif
)

So, does anyone have any comments, suggestions, defamatory statements? Want to sell me a r10?
Bring on the discourse please!

Mar 6, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 41
Well, the R10 is the best choice. I still believe the R10 may be the best headphone ever made (close call with the HE90) so you can't go wrong there.

The CD3000 is a decent headphone. They are going for a lot in the used market these days, although if you're patient you can find one at a reasonable price.

The ATs just don't do it for me, so I won't comment. Let me just say that when I heard the L3000 compared to the K701, it wasn't close (for me). But I think that's a minority opinion here, and I'd rather not start a war.

While I've heard pretty much every high-end headphone, the Denon and the JVC are two that I've not heard, so I can't comment. Both are good companies and those would be two interesting headphones to audition. I'm really looking forward to hearing some reviews of the Denons. The JVC received some mixed reviews on headfi, although they seem to be fairly popular in Asia.

Don't forget the Ultrasone Edition 7 and Edition 9. I can't tell you anything about them, but the E9 has had some raves here.

Mar 6, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #3 of 41
Ultrasone proline 750 has a huge soundstage so that would be nice maybe. Ed 9 should be even better but I haven't heard them (yet)

Mar 6, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 41
Ultrasone Ed 9 would be my choice of somewhat available phones. The R10 obviously is a tough one to find.

Try a 750 on the cheap and see if you dig the flavor.

Mar 6, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #5 of 41
hmm, took a look at the ultrasones. They are a little too pricey to not be wrapped in leather.(
wink.gif
)

I am not sure why, but ultrasones always tend tickle my prejudice bone. The edition x's seem to be overpriced for the reactions they garner from their owners.

I am beginning to believe I might have to wait until the big head-fi meet next month to try out most of these phones.

Mar 6, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #6 of 41
W5000 is the best choice that you have for analytical phone with a BIG soundstage. For the price you can't go wrong with the Ultrasone 750..I have the Proline 2500 and the W5000. I say the 750 since it is apparently so similar to the open 2500. The 2500 is not as open as the DT880 that I used to have. So for about 265$ US you have the brand new Ultrasones or for about 650$ used a W5000 if you can find one, otherwise it is right at 750$.

The DX-1000 are right at 1000$. (in production)
The Edition 9s are right at 1150$.(in production)
The L3000 right at 2000$. (collectors item)
The R4 right at 4000$.(collectors item)

The Sony cd3K is whatever you can fine one being sold for, a collectors item for sure.

Mar 6, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by raif /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm, took a look at the ultrasones. They are a little too pricey to not be wrapped in leather.(
wink.gif
)
I am not sure why, but ultrasones always tend tickle my prejudice bone. The edition x's seem to be overpriced for the reactions they garner from their owners.
I am beginning to believe I might have to wait until the big head-fi meet next month to try out most of these phones.

That's the best way to find out anyways. It's all a matter of taste in the end.
The ulltrasones are wrapped in love though..!
tongue.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #8 of 41
What about the Stax 4070?
Its in current production, and said to have great sound quality.

Mar 6, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #9 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the Stax 4070?
Its in current production, and said to have great sound quality.

electrostat though correct? I wouldn't really want to invest in an amp as well.

Mar 6, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

electrostat though correct? I wouldn't really want to invest in an amp as well.

Yes, it is an electrostat.
Most (if not all) of the other mentioned headphones would need/benefit from a dedicated headphone amplifier as well. And according to your profile you have none.

But I take your point...

Mar 6, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
W5000 is the best choice that you have for analytical phone with a BIG soundstage.

Believe it or not, I was really hoping someone would come along and say that. I feel bad, but I love AT woodies, always wanted one since back when the 2002's were still in production.

I did have some time with the phone, but I couldn't remember the soundstage. I do know that most AT tend to sound similar to me, and many are stating that the 950ltd have a really small soundstage.

If any one else wants to chime in on the w5000 soundstage, I might have just found what i was looking for.

By the way, my setup at work consists of an entech 205.2 -> tomahawk. People have always said that the rsa amps mate well with the ATs, so.... sell me people!!!

Mar 6, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #12 of 41
I would not be disappointed if I only had the A950LTD (note I had two pair of A900LTDs and reviewed the F900LTD by SK138). The modded A900LTD was simply better sounding than the stock version. The W5000's soundstage is bigger though.

Quote:

I did have some time with the phone, but I couldn't remember the soundstage. I do know that most AT tend to sound similar to me, and many are stating that the 950ltd have a really small soundstage.

Mar 6, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DX-1000 are right at 1000$. (in production)
The Edition 9s are right at 1150$.(in production)
The L3000 right at 2000$. (collectors item)
The R4 right at 4000$.(collectors item)

I think the JVC can be had for less than $1000 from PriceJapan (somebody mentioned $750 range I believe). So if we're using street value for the E9s, we should use street value for the JVCs.
icon10.gif
The Denon is $700 from Amazon or Audiocubes, by the way (when it becomes available).

Mar 6, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the JVC can be had for less than $1000 from PriceJapan ... The Denon is $700 from Amazon or Audiocubes.

$769 for the jvc... hmmm The only issue is, the sound signature seems to be similar to my westones, only with a bigger soundstage. I am not sure if I can rationlize the purchase without getting a different "flavor."

Those denon phones though. Someone needs to review those as soon as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back