Closed headphones to go with Hifiman HE-400
Feb 19, 2013 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ninjames

I get people telling me I say dumb things all day.
So I made the jump to buying some more expensive headphones in the Hifiman HE-400. My main rig is the HE-400 run off my Schiit Modi and Magni. I also have a Sennheiser HD-595 I use with my Fiio E17 for my bedroom rig. My two IEMs of choice are the Brainwavz B2 and the Monster Miles Davis Trumpet.

I'd like to find some closed headphones in the $200-400 range that wouldn't be out of place in my setup. I'd prefer more HE-400 and more Miles Davis Trumpet than the much more neutral 595 and B2, however. 

My favorite closed headphones are the Creative Aurvana Live!, and they're still some of my favorite headphones to date. I'm just looking for more - that next jump in audio quality in a closed set. More clarity, more bass, more everything. Please don't recommend things in the $100ish range that aren't better than the CAL! or not much of an improvement at all. Being able to fit a big head is a must.

Shoot.

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #2 of 7
These threads might be useful:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/651858/my-he-400-wants-a-closed-back-little-brother-i-told-him-no-but-he-insists

http://www.head-fi.org/t/651811/closed-version-of-he-400

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 7
I'm interested in the Mad Dogs but from what I understand the bass really isn't that good. I'm not a basshead by any means but when I go closed I do want a bit more impact and punch to my bass. That's really all that's been recommended so far ... are there just no real good closed headphones as we continue to go up in price?

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
I'm interested in the Mad Dogs but from what I understand the bass really isn't that good. I'm not a basshead by any means but when I go closed I do want a bit more impact and punch to my bass. That's really all that's been recommended so far ... are there just no real good closed headphones as we continue to go up in price?

Interesting.

The bass is actually very good. It's simply not overly emphasized, but like any wonderful ortho, it digs down to 20hz like it's nothing and has authority with it. It's excellent with bass. Lots of impact, control and texture.

With the discontinuation of the Denon line, the D5000 isn't really an option easily any more. The Mad Dog however easily replaces and bests the D5000.

And the Mad Dog gets very earthquake worthy with just a touch of equalization.

Very best,

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #5 of 7
I'm going to second MalVeaux's comment.  I'd heard both the He-400's and Mad Dogs at a mini meet and since I prefer closed headphones I went with the Mad Dogs.  If you like it to sound bassier, just eq everything else down and you'll get the thump you're looking for.  I'm not talking overbearing and distorted consumer headphone bass, but still plenty of head pulsing bass.

Edit: Plus you can't beat a 15 day return policy if you feel they aren't for you.

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #6 of 7
Mad Dogs, heard them at the meet last weekend, amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back