Closed Headphones that Sound like HD650?
Jun 5, 2014 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

traehekat

100+ Head-Fier
What closed headphones have a similar sound to the HD650?

Jun 5, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #2 of 43
Funny... I'd asked the exact quest a while ago.  And probably should have also done a search.

Here are a lot of good places to search

http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch/?opensearch=true&search=closed+hd650

I went with the Beyer T70s, but I should have gone with the Mr Speakers Alpha Dogs...  (and now I'm getting some LCD-XCs)

Jun 5, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #3 of 43
Def considering the Alpha Dog. I didn't love the DT 880, is the T70 a deviation from what Beyers typically sound like? Why did you end up wanting the AD over the T70?

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #4 of 43
My feeling about the T70 is that it is a very very good headphone and doesn't really do anything "wrong", but I never love listening to it.  It never makes me want to listen more.   

I'm really looking forward to hearing how the LCD-XC compares.

I'd also add that I love Magnepans, so I think that I am biased to think that orthodynamic headphones might sound better (to me).  (I'll know soon.)

Have you thought about IEMs and another closed alternative?  I actually find that I like listening to the Cardas EarSpeakers more than the T70.

Also, I haven't heard the other Beyers, so I can't comment on how the T70 compares to them.

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #6 of 43
Yeah I actually have a pair of Momentums but I don't love how they sit on my ears so I will likely be returning them. I also tried IEMs (Shure SE215 and 535) but I don't think they are for me, just too uncomfortable.

So do you think the Alpha Dog is the best bet?

Jun 5, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #7 of 43
Well, I haven't heard the AD or the LCD-XC yet... so I can't say.  

I was saying that they were the most attractive to me, in terms of hopefully providing what I wanted, and that the T70 didn't provide it to me.

Jun 5, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #11 of 43
I would also suggest the NAD HP 50 (Or PSB M4U1 /2). I have both the HD650 and the NADs and love them. 

-Mike

Jun 6, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #14 of 43
I also had the same question. I have a Senn hd600.
But the MrSpeakers Alpha Dog mentioned earlier needs a powerfull amp. My amp was not powerful enough (starving student amp), resulting in a very thin bass response. 
I ended up with a Beyer Dynamic Custom One Pro. Cheaper and pretty similiar to the HD600. Although I don't like other open Beyer headphones, this closed one had been added to my inventory

Jun 9, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #15 of 43
I did get some time to listen to the "over ear" Momentums. And if you can get over them touching your ears, which I find I don't notice after the first song, or until I take them off, the Momentums do have a similar sonic presentation. Sure they aren't in the same league as the 650s, but for a portable over ear, driven by smart phones at half the price... They are very enjoyable.

I'll try to listen to both more and provide more feedback.

The general things that I noticed were the sound stage was smaller and there was a lot less detail. But I thought, at least for the brief listens, that tonality wise they were certainly in the same camp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back