Closed headphones one step up from DT770s or A900s?
Apr 9, 2006 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Cyrilix

500+ Head-Fier
Any suggestions on this? I know of a lot of people recommend the above... but what about those looking to take the next step from there?

Apr 9, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #2 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrilix
Any suggestions on this? I know of a lot of people recommend the above... but what about those looking to take the next step from there?

Sony R10?
icon10.gif

What are you looking for in a headphone? I imagine the K271 S would be a step up from A900 and DT770 if you are looking for neutrality.

Apr 9, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 21
I'm just looking for resolution on par with the DT880s but that are closed. A wide soundstage is also nice. I like the tonality of the DT880s (they aren't too bright for me), but I wouldn't mind giving the dark sound of Senn 650s a try.

Edit: I forgot to say that I'm interested in something for work -- so eventually (long time from now), I may settle for a USB DAC/Amp combo to go with it.

Apr 9, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

I'm just looking for resolution on par with the DT880s but that are closed. A wide soundstage is also nice. I like the tonality of the DT880s (they aren't too bright for me), but I wouldn't mind giving the dark sound of Senn 650s a try.

Edit: I forgot to say that I'm interested in something for work -- so eventually (long time from now), I may settle for a USB DAC/Amp combo to go with it.

If you are planning to invest on source also then buy any of this.... A900LTD, W1000, W5000, L3000 with DAC+AMP. (Obviously Lavry DA10
icon10.gif
)

Apr 9, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
If you are planning to invest on source also then buy any of this.... A900LTD, W1000, W5000, L3000 with DAC+AMP. (Obviously Lavry DA10
icon10.gif
)

Aren't the A900 LTDs all sold out? If they are, then I'll have to drop that option. Meanwhile...I'll check out some of those other AT cans.

I already have an M^3, but I'm thinking that something like a DAC/Amp combo that's small (maybe something from headroom?) could provide the flexibility for work, since lugging around an M^3 + headphones to work everyday doesn't seem like a good idea.

Edit: Wow...expensive, only thing that I could consider for my price bracket would be the W1000.

Apr 9, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #7 of 21
Man, I wish I knew the answer to the quesion posed by this thread. While I do love the W5000, it does let in a lot of noise. It isn't a truly "closed" headphone like the DT770, you know? I hear good things about the CD3K, but I've never heard one...

I hope that some company will start focusing on pushing a high end closed can line soon.

Apr 9, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Man, I wish I knew the answer to the quesion posed by this thread. While I do love the W5000, it does let in a lot of noise. It isn't a truly "closed" headphone like the DT770, you know? I hear good things about the CD3K, but I've never heard one...

I hope that some company will start focusing on pushing a high end closed can line soon.

The W1000 seems to be a closed headphone. My main concern is not letting noise outside, letting noise in is not much of a big deal.

Apr 9, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

The W1000 seems to be a closed headphone. My main concern is not letting noise outside, letting noise in is not much of a big deal.

Yes, they do not leak that much. They just let stuff in. As long as you're cool with that, the ATH W models are pretty much the only game in town. Just be warned though, the sound of the W1000 is a "love it or hate it" variety, it isn't anything like the DT770. It's also not as similar to the A900 as you'd think. If you can try one before buying it, do so.

Apr 9, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Yes, they do not leak that much. They just let stuff in. As long as you're cool with that, the ATH W models are pretty much the only game in town. Just be warned though, the sound of the W1000 is a "love it or hate it" variety, it isn't anything like the DT770. It's also not as similar to the A900 as you'd think. If you can try one before buying it, do so.

Aren't the W series and A series opposites? The W serious is known to have a powerful mid range and light bass. While the A series has no mids and boomy bass.

Apr 9, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckluck
Aren't the W series and A series opposites? The W serious is known to have a powerful mid range and light bass. While the A series has no mids and boomy bass.

Every members having both W1000 with A900LTD peferred A900LTD. And it's not lacking mids as well.

Apr 9, 2006 at 2:23 PM Post #14 of 21
The one sole lead to a retailer (in Korea) with 900LTD stock appeared yesterday in a thread (with link address and a succeeding post w/ babelfish trans.)......otherwise, the alternative option is k271S with a good small amp eg. Portaphile 2^2maxxed (will have DC back for full day + overtime listening at work
evil_smiley.gif
).

Apr 9, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy
The one sole lead to a retailer (in Korea) with 900LTD stock appeared yesterday in a thread (with link address and a succeeding post w/ babelfish trans.)......otherwise, the alternative option is k271S with a good small amp eg. Portaphile 2^2maxxed (will have DC back for full day + overtime listening at work
evil_smiley.gif
).

I am the person who recommended that store
icon10.gif
It's a limited edition and sold out everywhere. But they had 15 units in stock last month. obviously they charge extra premium for new one
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back