Closed headphones, no amp, for gaming and metal music
Apr 26, 2012 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

anexanhume

New Head-Fier
First time poster, long time lurker here. I used this forum a couple of years ago when I decided to settle on the ATH-A700's. Well, those headphones are starting to have the earpads flake and I'm itching to try something else out rather than replace the pads (I also found they seal the heat in and make my head cook, but I'm guessing that's unavoidable with closed over the ear cans). I absolutely need closed headphones to prevent those around me from being disturbed and I'm not going to be using an amp. I'll be using them primarily for movies, gaming and metal music (primarily prog and power, so guitars aren't on the low end as much as thrash or death, plus potential of some higher synths and vocals). I'm not really sure what the typical preferences are for response when it comes to that kind of music, hence my question. Will be running off a laptop or an iphone primarily. Portability isn't a concern, home use only. Price range is below $250.

After looking around, seems I have a shortlist
Shure SRH940
Audio Technica M50s
Beyerdynamic 770 Pro 80
Denon D2000
I'm also interested in the Fostex T50RP with Shure HPAEC840 pads to replace (couldn't find any specific feedback about this simple mod, although I assume it exists in one of the mod threads)

Seems to be a general consensus that the Beyers are superior to the M50s and SRH940, but I wanted to list them all in case I was surprised for my usage case.

Thanks for any input.

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
Beyers or the d2k. Might say go ahead and get the d2k since they are discontinued and extremely nice.

Thanks. I am not optimistic about their replacements based on people who have seen them and the high price of entry on the next models. $290 is at the upper end of what is palatable for me.

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #4 of 11
AKG K550's - Just drove my set directly from my phone (no amp) and they still sounded superb

Apr 28, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #5 of 11
Denon AH-D2000 would be the nod here, if your budget was a bit larger I'd say Kenwood KH-K1000 (they've got AT in their lineage, somewhere). The ATH-A900 would be another consideration, but it'll have the same pad issues your A700 are having right now (you can get replacement pads for something like $40-$50 online (and I don't mean the same pads, I mean the nicer pleather pads from the W1000/K1000 - for the A700 that doesn't seem worth it, but for the A900 it does). 

The Ultrasone HFI-2400 would be worth consideration as well - it's open, but I didn't notice them as leaking very much. They should fit your needs like a glove. And they have velour earpads and all that jazz. 

Apr 28, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #6 of 11
Denon AH-D2000 would be the nod here, if your budget was a bit larger I'd say Kenwood KH-K1000 (they've got AT in their lineage, somewhere). The ATH-A900 would be another consideration, but it'll have the same pad issues your A700 are having right now (you can get replacement pads for something like $40-$50 online (and I don't mean the same pads, I mean the nicer pleather pads from the W1000/K1000 - for the A700 that doesn't seem worth it, but for the A900 it does). 

The Ultrasone HFI-2400 would be worth consideration as well - it's open, but I didn't notice them as leaking very much. They should fit your needs like a glove. And they have velour earpads and all that jazz. 

Have to admit I've avoided open cans mostly for fear of disturbing others. How much is someone going to hear 5 ft away?

Apr 28, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #7 of 11
D2k while you can, but at 5 feet they will hear almost EVERYTHING, they leak sound like mad. my semi-open akg K242HD leak sound way less, but they need an amp.

Apr 28, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #8 of 11
D2k while you can, but at 5 feet they will hear almost EVERYTHING, they leak sound like mad. my semi-open akg K242HD leak sound way less, but they need an amp.

D2k leak that bad? I may as well go open then if I'm seriously considering those.

Apr 28, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #9 of 11
I don't recall them leaking OUT that bad; they leak IN fairly bad though.

Here's the thing about it though: it all depends how loud you listen. I have two Sony open-backs (that are REALLY open) that I can leave on their stands and turn on (to where I like to listen) and walk 5ft away and not really hear (in a fairly quiet room) - at least to where it's not annoying. Especially if I'm not playing music, but videogames or movies (where it's not a constant "high" signal). 

Just food for thought. 

The HFI-2400s are "better" than the Sonys in that regard. The Denons are a bit better than that. But with all of them, if you crank it up, you hear it around the room. But you can do that with ANC headsets like the Beats Studio or QC3 (and I've never tried this myself, I just see people on the train with those headphones and can hear their music clearly across the train - I don't want to think about how loud it is inside the cups).

If you want serious isolation (both in and out), the Beyer T70 is a solid choice. The Kenwood KH-K1000 does better than the Denons, but probably worse than the Beyers (I have no science to prove this; the Beyers are measured as pretty isolating, the Kenwoods seem a bit less so from subjective listening). I know that both of those blow your budget up. 
Quote:
D2k leak that bad? I may as well go open then if I'm seriously considering those.

Apr 28, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #10 of 11
I don't recall them leaking OUT that bad; they leak IN fairly bad though.

Here's the thing about it though: it all depends how loud you listen. I have two Sony open-backs (that are REALLY open) that I can leave on their stands and turn on (to where I like to listen) and walk 5ft away and not really hear (in a fairly quiet room) - at least to where it's not annoying. Especially if I'm not playing music, but videogames or movies (where it's not a constant "high" signal). 

Just food for thought. 

The HFI-2400s are "better" than the Sonys in that regard. The Denons are a bit better than that. But with all of them, if you crank it up, you hear it around the room. But you can do that with ANC headsets like the Beats Studio or QC3 (and I've never tried this myself, I just see people on the train with those headphones and can hear their music clearly across the train - I don't want to think about how loud it is inside the cups).

If you want serious isolation (both in and out), the Beyer T70 is a solid choice. The Kenwood KH-K1000 does better than the Denons, but probably worse than the Beyers (I have no science to prove this; the Beyers are measured as pretty isolating, the Kenwoods seem a bit less so from subjective listening). I know that both of those blow your budget up. 
Quote:

Leaking in is different, I'd actually prefer it as I have a new baby and wife likely to need my attention at any moment. I just don't want to disturb others.

Apr 28, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #11 of 11
Originally Posted by obobskivich link

I don't recall them leaking OUT that bad; they leak IN fairly bad though. Here's the thing about it though: it all depends how loud you listen. I have two Sony open-backs (that are REALLY open) that I can leave on their stands and turn on (to where I like to listen) and walk 5ft away and not really hear (in a fairly quiet room) - at least to where it's not annoying. Especially if I'm not playing music, but videogames or movies (where it's not a constant "high" signal).  Just food for thought.  The HFI-2400s are "better" than the Sonys in that regard. The Denons are a bit better than that. But with all of them, if you crank it up, you hear it around the room. But you can do that with ANC headsets like the Beats Studio or QC3 (and I've never tried this myself, I just see people on the train with those headphones and can hear their music clearly across the train - I don't want to think about how loud it is inside the cups). If you want serious isolation (both in and out), the Beyer T70 is a solid choice. The Kenwood KH-K1000 does better than the Denons, but probably worse than the Beyers (I have no science to prove this; the Beyers are measured as pretty isolating, the Kenwoods seem a bit less so from subjective listening). I know that both of those blow your budget up.    

Leaking in is different, I'd actually prefer it as I have a new baby and wife likely to need my attention at any moment. I just don't want to disturb others.

I honestly think it's the opposite, my girlfriend can often hear my music across the room, and I listen loud, but soft compared to other peoples standards. they are perfect for drowning out my woman though :p, sound wise I still think they are the best, but if you want to hear what's going around you or people not to hear what you are doing (at medium to high volumes)... Nah

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back