closed headphones for under $100
Sep 15, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by hans030390 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um...have you heard both of these? My RX700 and RX900s both barely leak any noise at all, unless the volume is really loud.

Awesome! I already started to get a little concerned.

BTW, I found a lot of posts comparing RX700 and RX900
and they seem a bit contradictory. Many actually like 700's
more than 900's. What is your take on this?

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #17 of 21
The RX900 does not leak much sound at moderate volumes. I am using them right now.

As for which one is better between the RX700 and the RX900, there indeed is a lot of discussion. Some folks prefer the RX700 because it sounds more balanced. Others prefer the RX900 for the concert hall feel as well as the fact that it's more comfortable. However, in my experience, both are relatively muddy in stock form. When the RX900 is modded, it truly becomes a nice headphone. I recommend removing the acoustic lens (gets rid of some of the echoey feel), the top layer of the felt ring (decreases the fartcannon effect, improves mids and treble overall) and then cutting out the outer ring of holes covered by the felt (permits the highs to come out more from my experience).

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by RallyMaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RX900 does not leak much sound at moderate volumes. I am using them right now.

As for which one is better between the RX700 and the RX900, there indeed is a lot of discussion. Some folks prefer the RX700 because it sounds more balanced. Others prefer the RX900 for the concert hall feel as well as the fact that it's more comfortable. However, in my experience, both are relatively muddy in stock form. When the RX900 is modded, it truly becomes a nice headphone. I recommend removing the acoustic lens (gets rid of some of the echoey feel), the top layer of the felt ring (decreases the fartcannon effect, improves mids and treble overall) and then cutting out the outer ring of holes covered by the felt (permits the highs to come out more from my experience).

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely give modding a try.

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by PPP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome! I already started to get a little concerned.

BTW, I found a lot of posts comparing RX700 and RX900
and they seem a bit contradictory. Many actually like 700's
more than 900's. What is your take on this?

I think it depends on the sound you're looking for. The 900s have a bigger soundstage and more bass (which also means a bit more recessed mids and highs)...overall a less forward and more "dark" sound compared to the 700s. I personally prefer the warmer/bassier sound. If you have a good enough source and have the volume up enough, the 900s really come alive, IMO.

That, and the 900s are definitely more comfortable.

If a darker/bassier/warmer sound isn't your thing, the 700s are probably the better buy. Either way, they're both excellent, especially when modded.

Sep 15, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by hans030390 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it depends on the sound you're looking for. The 900s have a bigger soundstage and more bass (which also means a bit more recessed mids and highs)...overall a less forward and more "dark" sound compared to the 700s. I personally prefer the warmer/bassier sound. If you have a good enough source and have the volume up enough, the 900s really come alive, IMO.

That, and the 900s are definitely more comfortable.

If a darker/bassier/warmer sound isn't your thing, the 700s are probably the better buy. Either way, they're both excellent, especially when modded.

I think I will prefer more laid-back sound. I am really sensitive to sibilance and sparkly
highs, so slightly recessed mids and highs could probably reduce the amount of sibilance
even on really sibilant recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back