closed headphones for under $100
Sep 14, 2009 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

PPP

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 21, 2008
Posts
13
Likes
0
I am thinking about purchasing a pair of closed headphones
(that preferably don't leak any sound at all) to use at the office.
I mostly listen to instrumental music with lots of vocals and jazz.
Do you have any recommendations?

I am not too picky about the sound quality. I have Audio Technica
ATH-A700 at home and quite satisfied with them although, some
people apparently don't consider them to be that good.

So far I've been looking at
Audio-Technica ES7
Sony MDR-V6
Sennheiser HD-280

What do you think?

Thanks in advance!
L3000.gif
 
Sep 14, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 21

ktsai1283

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 31, 2006
Posts
288
Likes
17
Location
California
The ES7 is supraaural, so sound leakage might be a problem, though I don't have any personal experience.

The V6 and 280 are commonly recommended headphones, though they also have their detractors. Use the search function--there are tons of threads that have dealt with both of them.

Lastly, you want something else even though you own an A700? That you're already satisfied with? If you enjoy it, keep it! As long as you're happy, who cares what other people say about it? There is no objective measure of what makes a headphone good. Everyone has different ears, and there is a real possibility that you will not enjoy some of the ones that have been/will be recommended in this thread.
 
Sep 14, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #7 of 21

PPP

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 21, 2008
Posts
13
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JVC HA-RX700 and 900 get a lot of praise and apparently are quite good with some simple mods. I'm not sure if it's a bang-for-buck thing or if they are that good in absolute terms.


Thanks for the suggestion. I have never heard about these before. Do you
own them?
 
Sep 14, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #8 of 21

PPP

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 21, 2008
Posts
13
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by ktsai1283 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ES7 is supraaural, so sound leakage might be a problem, though I don't have any personal experience.

The V6 and 280 are commonly recommended headphones, though they also have their detractors. Use the search function--there are tons of threads that have dealt with both of them.

Lastly, you want something else even though you own an A700? That you're already satisfied with? If you enjoy it, keep it! As long as you're happy, who cares what other people say about it? There is no objective measure of what makes a headphone good. Everyone has different ears, and there is a real possibility that you will not enjoy some of the ones that have been/will be recommended in this thread.



Oh no, I love A700! I am just looking for a second pair for my office (I use A700 at home)
 
Sep 14, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #9 of 21

PPP

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 21, 2008
Posts
13
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What sound card or other equipment will these headphones be plugged into?

FWIR, for closed, under $100, instrumentals, vocals, and jazz, I'd be interested in trying the SRH440.



I'll be using them with my computer and probably ipod.
 
Sep 14, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #10 of 21

MadMan007

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 17, 2008
Posts
620
Likes
16
Quote:

Originally Posted by PPP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the suggestion. I have never heard about these before. Do you
own them?



No, it's just another phone in the price range, or really quite a bit under it at least in the US. That's why I said I don't know if they're just great bang-for-buck or great in absolute terms. There are at least a few threads about them.

Also you can multi-quote more than one post by using the little '+' sign icon
smily_headphones1.gif
 
Sep 14, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #12 of 21

PPP

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 21, 2008
Posts
13
Likes
0
Thanks again 1Time. I ended up ordering JVC HA-RX900 thru
amazon. Looks like they are not fully closed, but hopefully they
don't leak too much. Considering the price ($56 shipped) they
look like a good deal.

BTW the amazon estimates to ship the headphones in two weeks
(probably a backorder), so if anyone has a better suggestion,
I can still reconsider.
 
Sep 14, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #13 of 21

hans030390

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 4, 2008
Posts
1,372
Likes
607
Quote:

Originally Posted by PPP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks again 1Time. I ended up ordering JVC HA-RX900 thru
amazon. Looks like they are not fully closed, but hopefully they
don't leak too much. Considering the price ($56 shipped) they
look like a good deal.

BTW the amazon estimates to ship the headphones in two weeks
(probably a backorder), so if anyone has a better suggestion,
I can still reconsider.



They're not exactly 100% closed, but might as well be called closed.They leak very, very little sound (virtually none at moderate volumes). That, and they're physically mostly closed, a few (extremely) tiny spots aside.

I would suggest searching the forums for the HA-RX900 mod(s) thread. They can go from sounding good to sounding VERY good. Even without the mods, they're still way underpriced, IMO.

FWIR, it's going to be hard (or impossible) to beat these for $100 or less. Based on how they sound to me, I'd believe that.
 
Sep 14, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #14 of 21

1Time

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 1, 2005
Posts
4,661
Likes
23
If you're wanting headphones that don't leak sound, you should cancel the RX900 because it has holes around the ear cup that leak sound. And since you were willing to order the RX900, the RX700 should be an easy next choice. It's closed and thus does not leak as much sound. I don't know how the RX700 compares to other closed headphones, but the Creative Aurvana Live! is pretty good at not leaking sound. It just doesn't block external sound very well. And the D1001 should be about the same in this regard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PPP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks again 1Time. I ended up ordering JVC HA-RX900 thru
amazon. Looks like they are not fully closed, but hopefully they
don't leak too much. Considering the price ($56 shipped) they
look like a good deal.

BTW the amazon estimates to ship the headphones in two weeks
(probably a backorder), so if anyone has a better suggestion,
I can still reconsider.



 
Sep 15, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #15 of 21

hans030390

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 4, 2008
Posts
1,372
Likes
607
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're wanting headphones that don't leak sound, you should cancel the RX900 because it has holes around the ear cup that leak sound. And since you were willing to order the RX900, the RX700 should be an easy next choice. It's closed and thus does not leak as much sound. I don't know how the RX700 compares to other closed headphones, but the Creative Aurvana Live! is pretty good at not leaking sound. It just doesn't block external sound very well. And the D1001 should be about the same in this regard.


Um...have you heard both of these? My RX700 and RX900s both barely leak any noise at all, unless the volume is really loud.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top