Closed headphones for Electronica. $250 Budget
Jun 17, 2008 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kojebee

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I am looking for a closed headphone for use solely with my computer through a Beresford TC-7510.

I mostly listen to my Stax headphones but when Mrs Kojebee watches TV, I need the isolation whilst listening to music via the computer. Obviously I love my Stax but looking for a 'touch' more bass.

I listen to mostly electronica and Pink Floyd.

My budget is $250 or thereabouts.

What could you recommend?

Thanks!

Jun 17, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #3 of 13
I could push my budget for the right phones.

I use my Ultrasone HFI 700 for portable use with an Ipod and Meier amp, and that combination sounds great! But using the Ultrasones through the computer and Beresford DAC just doesn't have the synergy I'm looking for. It sounds a little 'metallic', if you get my meaning.

The ESW9 seem affordable.

What about the AKG 271S? They fall into my budget. AKG K272HD? Denon AH D2000?

I demo'd the Audio Technica A500 / A700 /A900 and I don't know why, but they disappointed me, although the A900 had more going on. Too muddy, warm? I don't know. I'm no expert on describing headphones.

Jun 17, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #4 of 13
Im listening to a pair of Sony MDR-SA5000's this very moment.

These cans are simply amazing with Electronica.

I know there outside your budget but save up for a pair you will not regret it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #5 of 13
Well, not sure about AKG you have mentioned, but if you like something else than AT, maybe Grado then. Used pair of SR225 would be around USD 160 plus GoVibe Petite with DAC option and you will have a very nice set up, on to go and for your PC through DAC, which is very full, warm sounding one. It would be slightly more than USD 300, but maybe you can sell your Meier, after you tried Petite, who knows...

Quote:

Originally Posted by kojebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could push my budget for the right phones.

I use my Ultrasone HFI 700 for portable use with an Ipod and Meier amp, and that combination sounds great! But using the Ultrasones through the computer and Beresford DAC just doesn't have the synergy I'm looking for. It sounds a little 'metallic', if you get my meaning.

The ESW9 seem affordable.

What about the AKG 271S? They fall into my budget. AKG K272HD? Denon AH D2000?

I demo'd the Audio Technica A500 / A700 /A900 and I don't know why, but they disappointed me, although the A900 had more going on. Too muddy, warm? I don't know. I'm no expert on describing headphones.

Jun 17, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #6 of 13
i've got the esw9's, and love them. but for a couple of reasons (that might be relavant to you), i just ordered the hfi780's (don't have them yet).

the esw9's are great, great cans, but don't have the best isolation (mainly they listener hearing outside sound, not so much outsiders hearing my music). they also aren't the best cans for long sessions of listening (since they're supra-aural, instead of circum-aural).

and the biggest reason for me: i suspect they're not the best cans for electronica. they're great for acoustic and rock, but, imo, they're too warm for electronica. if you listen critically, they're fast enough, but something about them (again, imo) doesn't carry the thrill of some electronica enough for me.

trancey stuff, like soma and fsol - it's great at. but some stuff, like k&d and mouse on mars, i feel like it's not exciting enough.

but i'm still in the middle of figuring this out for myself (256bit vs. lossless, amp vs. unamp, etc)... one thing i did discover is that some of the electronica cd's i have are either 1) poorly recorded, or 2) used sloppy tracks to begin with... (and now some songs are always going to slightly bug me, when i used to throughly enjoy them... the love/hate relationship with hifi equipment)

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by antran7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but i'm still in the middle of figuring this out for myself (256bit vs. lossless, amp vs. unamp, etc)... on thing i did discover is that some of the electronica cd's i have are either 1) poorly recorded, or 2) used sloppy tracks to begin with... (and now some songs is always going to slightly bug me, when i used to throughly enjoy them... the love/hate relationship with hifi equipment)

That's the thing. The longer I've been interested in finding equipment I can enjoy, the more I think about finding the right combination, rather than an individual product. I have found that the Beresford DAC has been a great improvement on the previous set up I had, which was a cheap onboard computer sound card - Marantz receiver - Quad speakers. So, I don't want to change the Beresford just yet. Although the Vibe Petite got me thinking... that could have a dual purpose with its USB option.

I just want to find the right sounding closed headphones for the Beresford.

Hahaha, decisions, decisions.

Jun 24, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #8 of 13
I went for the Go-Vive Petite amp with JVC Victor HP M1000 headphones. Early days, but things are sounding good so far. I've read that the JVC headphones improve with burn in.

Jun 24, 2008 at 9:30 AM Post #9 of 13
We love pics, so would you be so kind to post some, thanks.
cool.gif

Congrats with your new toy's!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kojebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went for the Go-Vive Petite amp with JVC Victor HP M1000 headphones. Early days, but things are sounding good so far. I've read that the JVC headphones improve with burn in.

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #10 of 13
Are you using the Beresford Headphone amp? Unfortunately, it's not he best IMO, definitely not up to par with the rest of the DAC.

I owned the AKG271S's, they were very good, even better with an after-market cable. Driven by a lesser amp, though, their bass may not be as good as desired, especially for Electronica.

If you plan to have an amp external to the Beresford, then I can definitely recommend the 271S's. Without it, it may or may not synergize well..... I used to own the Beresford Mk 6, great DAC for the $; but I hardly ever used the headphone amp out of them, even after letting it burn in for close to 100 hours.

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #11 of 13
I agree with your views on the Beresford. The DAC is pretty good for the money. When I use my computer as my source for music I use Beresford / Marantz (as a pre amp) / Ceratec Power Amp / Quad 22L2 and it's been a great improvement on what I had before.

So far with the headphones, I prefer the Go Vibe Petite as the sound is punchier with more bass, than with the Beresford headphone amp section. But having said that, the JVC Victor HP M1000 / Beresford doesn't seem a bad match at this stage. People could do a lot worse.

As requested I've linked some pictures of the set ups, and also a couple of portable shots. I hope the link works! There are seven pics.

Photo Sharing by MyPhotoAlbum.com :: MyPhotoAlbum :: JVC Victor HP M1000 / Go Vibe Petite

Jun 24, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #13 of 13
I use my Ultrasone DJ1-Pro (aka Proline 550, pretty much) for Electronica, and Hip Hop. I find, albeit with a slightly recessed mid-range, the phone performs very well. The bass has great impact and depth (without an amp, and it can be refined with proper amplification), and the trebles are very straight forward, but don't pierce. I'd look into the Ultrasone line, since I only paid $130 for the Pro's (B-Stock). I can't speak for the other models, but they apparently have a distinctive sound, so I'd definately suggest to listen before you buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back