Closed headphone with very deep and powerfull bass
Oct 17, 2007 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

justb2

New Head-Fier
I'm looking into getting a set of closed cans (they'll be used in a crowded university) that can deliver a great deal of powerfull bass while still remaining quite accurate. The source will be a 6G iPod. I haven't got an amp but wouldn't shun purchasing one for this purpose. I've heard that the JVC HP-DX1000 produces some very nice bass but it seems like it might be a little too big to wear around university. I've also considered the Dennon AH-D2000/D5000's but have read many mixed thoughts on them. I'd also like the cans to have a punchy sound, definately not looking for something fatiguing. Any input is well appreciated.

Oct 17, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #2 of 46
ultrasone 750

Oct 17, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #3 of 46
Check out the Ultrasone Proline 750s. They even fold up. I had the 2500s and sold them over issues with the treble, but from what you've described, these might be perfect for you. Other than that, the Beyer DT770s are closed and have the bass you're looking for, but need mods, imo, to clean up the sound a bit and bring out the mids, which are otherwise buried by the bass.

Oct 17, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #4 of 46
What were the issues with the treble that you experianced? Are these issues known to exist along the entire proline series? Thanks for the quick replys, im lookin at the 750's now. Do they generally need an amp? If so, which portable one's synergize well with them?

Oct 17, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #5 of 46
Darthbeyers may be what you are looking for. I have no personal experience with the, but from what other's have said, they seem to fit the bill.

Some more info about them:
http://headphile.com/page8.html

Many members on these forums have the custom darthbeyers so you may want to look into that.

Oct 17, 2007 at 6:49 AM Post #7 of 46
I wouldn't call the 750 bass overwhelming, but it sure goes deep enough to make your head vibrate.

Oct 17, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #8 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by justb2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What were the issues with the treble that you experianced? Are these issues known to exist along the entire proline series? Thanks for the quick replys, im lookin at the 750's now. Do they generally need an amp? If so, which portable one's synergize well with them?

The 750s don't need an amp, but may sound better with one, depending on the amp I guess. I want to state that I owned the 2500s and not the 750s so my comments may not apply. I found the tone of the trebles to be off, a bit shrill, and metallic sounding. Others have reported this, but stated that it went away after 200 + hrs of burn in. It wasn't true for me, but I should also say that I have a senstivity to highs, and friends that heard my pair didn't experience them as I did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rb67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Darthbeyers may be what you are looking for. I have no personal experience with the, but from what other's have said, they seem to fit the bill.

Some more info about them:
http://headphile.com/page8.html

Many members on these forums have the custom darthbeyers so you may want to look into that.

Up until last week, I owned Darth Beyers (headphile modded 770/80s),and can say that they may also be what you're looking for, but they are certainly more expensive, and not as portable, imo. They look better, though, as they are black (you don't want to add the beautiful wood if you want to take them out and about). The Prolines look like Fisher Price toys, but there is a brand new model that just came out (440?...not sure) that is black. I have zero idea what it may sounds like.

Oct 17, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #9 of 46
I'm leaning towards the 750's due to the price difference ($250USD on eBay) and it seems as if the darthbeyer's are a fashionable item, hence their higher price... I'm not really looking for fashion (although they are incredibly nice to look at). I don't mind wearing my ATH-A900's around...

How is the build quality on the 750's/2500's?

Oct 17, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

I'm leaning towards the 750's due to the price difference ($250USD on eBay) and it seems as if the darthbeyer's are a fashionable item, hence their higher price... I'm not really looking for fashion (although they are incredibly nice to look at). I don't mind wearing my ATH-A900's around...

Larry first makes them sound good. The wood just makes them beautiful, but doesn't change the sound. We add that because we like it, and Larry happens to do it well. You can get them without the wood. He changes the cable and does other mods as well to bring out the mids and clean up the sound.

Oct 17, 2007 at 7:17 AM Post #12 of 46
Quote:

It seems as if the cheapest 770/80 mod is at $370... Is there the possiblity of just having the SQ based mods performed? If so, where on the site is that located?

Nope. That is the base price for mods. I may have remembered wrong, since I wanted the wood when I got mine a year and a half ago, that the wood was an option, but the price is similar, if not the same.

Welcome to head-fi, the wallet destroyer.

Oct 17, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

... don't get me started ...

too late
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back