Closed headphone that has Hd600's quality?
Jul 30, 2002 at 11:46 PM Post #31 of 59
Why am I confused? If you want a closed headphone get one and if you want a open headphone get one but how can a closed can sound like an open can? Ant these different kinds of cans? I know. Buy a pair of 580s or 600s and hold your hands over the back of them. Now you have both open and closed cans.

Jul 30, 2002 at 11:53 PM Post #32 of 59
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
Buy a pair of 580s or 600s and hold your hands over the back of them. Now you have both open and closed cans.

I dunno about the Senns, but I WOULDN'T recommend anyone doing this with a pair of Grados. I've tried cupping them a couple times, and the effect wasn't pretty. At ALL. I think (don't quote me on this) that it may be damaging to your ears, 'cause it gave me a (perceived) ear-ache. All that unreleased open-air sound pressure -- who knows?

Jul 31, 2002 at 12:54 AM Post #33 of 59
It's not going to happen, I suggest you change your criteria. I will tell you this though, if the Beyerdynamic DT-831 had better bass response and wasn't bright, I'd get one in an instant, decent closed headphones come in handy (some isolation). =P

Jul 31, 2002 at 7:06 AM Post #34 of 59
Do the HD-280's have a similar sound signature to the 580/600's? If that's the case, perhaps the 280's are the way to go?

Jul 31, 2002 at 7:28 AM Post #35 of 59
just ignore what i said before.... i was soo out of it last night....
rolleyes.gif

Jul 31, 2002 at 10:36 AM Post #37 of 59
Maybe I should go with the W100 I've heard them and they totally outclass my beyer dt 250-80!!
I would say that I prefer the closed rather than open although open might sound nicer due to the personal feel... closed let you disappear into your own world.. kinda
Also because I tried and w100 is rather easy to drive and maybe used together as my portable cd player..
I would like to get etymotic but.. well... I could get the w100 for as low as $220... so I think it's more value for money.

yeah
thanks for the reply guys

Jul 31, 2002 at 7:56 PM Post #38 of 59
$220>? where are you from? thats a good deal. although im not sure how much isolation the w100 would provide.... the mail came with my brothers w100 today, but he isnt home to open it. cant wait.

Jul 31, 2002 at 8:00 PM Post #39 of 59
Quote:

Originally posted by a1leyez0nm3
the 280s have way better bass, arent as muddy, are a little more forward, are more like etys.

??? What drugs are you taking, a1leyez?
wink.gif

Seriously, though, if you're talking directly from a portable CDP, sure. But with a good amp, no way. The 580/600 have better bass, are clearer, are similar in their "forwardness" (or lack thereof) and are much closer to Etys than the HD 280 can ever even dream to be. They're so much better in every way except for isolation that it makes me wonder if a) you've ever heard them
wink.gif
or b) if you've just never heard the 580/600 in a good system.

Jul 31, 2002 at 10:28 PM Post #40 of 59
Well, many people like crap because they have crap to use it with(I don't get it, but it's true) ... So it's natural that "alleyez" says something outrageous like this when it's completely false even just straight out of pcdp. But hey, to each their own right?
tongue.gif

Aug 1, 2002 at 12:09 AM Post #41 of 59
I've only had the 580s for about a week; I've owned and listened to the 280s for a few months, and have been using the 4s's for about two months. I don't think the 280s stand up well to the Etys or the 580s. While I find the midrange of the 280s good for a closed can, I don't think it can compare to utterly clear midrange of the Etys. I'm going to hold back with more of a comparison to the 580s, as I want to give them a bit more break in time. However, my initial impression is that they have a lot more bass than the 280s (whether this is a good thing, I reserve judgment).

Aug 1, 2002 at 6:32 AM Post #42 of 59
just ignore what i said earlier.. i was so out of it last night...

the 600s are good. for some reason i just remembered them from todd's pcdp with the bass boost on.... and its a long story...

dont freak out, we all get our crazy nights here and there...

well anywho, my bro just got his AT W100s... oh boy. they are so nice! i want them soo bad. i can feel the drool forming on my lips.. and my brother is leaving for college in switzerland soon so i wont get to listen to them
eek.gif
frown.gif
. they are soo musical. everything fits in just right. my 280s sound like trash compared to them
frown.gif

Aug 1, 2002 at 10:09 AM Post #43 of 59
yeah.. I also couldn't believe it!!!
I'm from singapore and even the dealer(supposedly from vincent chan's Audiotechnica singapore) quoted me $290 for it!!!
so I think maybe the guy who own this shop which I went to really gave me good price( I have bought 3 cans from him and he knew me quite well).either that or he imported em straight from japan
but it's reallu a lot of money to save..
the hd600 cost ard $260 here

Aug 1, 2002 at 11:54 AM Post #44 of 59
Just how much difference is there in the W100 vs A9X vs A100Ti - given the different drivers and housing - I wonder. I'd be worried about damaging the W100 if it's for portable use though.

Just an aside, but I showed a picture of the AXX series to my gf, and she mentioned the fact these phones would probably look like buns on the sides of your head. I never considered it until now. I am fervently hoping this is not the case... shiny buns. arrrrrrgghhhh...

Aug 1, 2002 at 1:29 PM Post #45 of 59
LMAO

Magicthyse, I think maybe you are destined to have GeekPhones...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back