Closed Headphone Recommendation Help. Please.
Sep 5, 2018 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

TheReal14O

New Head-Fier
So I've tried a few headphones, and am still searching for one that fits my needs. I'm looking for a closed headphone that are non-fatiguing, isolate well (passive), and are comfortable.

I've tried:
NVX XPT 100s (too heavy)
NAD Viso HP 50 (poor seal and too much headband pressure)
PSB M4U 1 (too heavy and earpads too shallow)
Sennheiser HD 598Cs (returned but don't remember why)
Fidelio X1 (gave away and don't remember its sound)

The NVX, NAD, and PSB all sounded good but had some problems. Though none of the headphones I tried really blew me away when listening to them (my brother even thought the NADs were $60 headphones). However, trying them all did make me realize that perhaps +$100 headphones are just about preference and not sound quality.

So now I am looking for a pair of headphones that follow my criteria and are good for shows/anime, gaming, and music. I'd like to keep it at less than $300.

I've got a $50 gaming headset that is lightweight, comfortable and sounds fine. Is there anything out there that will put it to shame?

(no dac or amp will be used)

Sep 5, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #2 of 13
Audio Technica MSR7
Beyerdynamic DT770
Monoprice M565C
Modhouse Argon mk3 or other modded t50rps
AKG K550

But if your happy with what you have and are just using your motherboard consider just stickin with that

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 13
I always recommend Sennheiser HD 25 for this type of job :wink: And saves you about 100 bucks.

However, trying them all did make me realize that perhaps +$100 headphones are just about preference and not sound quality.

and then you said

(no dac or amp will be used)

So I guess this could be part of the problem. Like most everything else in the world, audio is an expression of the weak-link theory. No great pair of headphones is great without a great amp, without a great source, etc.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #5 of 13
1More Triple Driver Over-Ear worth a look-see. Really terrific sound quality and plenty comfortable. Isolation is good IMO. Maybe read about it and see what you think. It could work.

Sep 5, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #6 of 13
So I guess this could be part of the problem. Like most everything else in the world, audio is an expression of the weak-link theory. No great pair of headphones is great without a great amp, without a great source, etc.
Well I haven't looked into getting an amp or dac since I usually listen with the volume low and assume that a dac wouldn't change much at low listening volumes. I still have the PSBs, is there a dac you'd recommend under $150 that would make these sound better, or is that too cheap?

Maybe you're right and it'd be better to get a dac. The PSBs sound good, they are just lacking in bass and might be a tad harsh for my sensitive ears (needs more testing). However, I got them for a good price and might just keep them anyway.

Sep 5, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #7 of 13
Well I haven't looked into getting an amp or dac since I usually listen with the volume low and assume that a dac wouldn't change much at low listening volumes. I still have the PSBs, is there a dac you'd recommend under $150 that would make these sound better, or is that too cheap?

Maybe you're right and it'd be better to get a dac. The PSBs sound good, they are just lacking in bass and might be a tad harsh for my sensitive ears (needs more testing). However, I got them for a good price and might just keep them anyway.

Another option is to try EQ-ing the PSBs to your taste. Adding bass is easy; removing harshness may be easy or tricky depending on if you can figure out what frequency range is giving you trouble.

Sep 5, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #9 of 13
This would be worth trying. How would I go about doing it?

There's a lot of different options. If you're using something like Foobar2000, there's a built-in basic EQ, or you can download more sophisticated ones.

If you want a system-wide solution, there's EqualizerAPO, which may be easier to use in conjunction with the "Peace" GUI.

Or, if you prefer the simplicity of physical knobs, there's the Schiit Loki or JDS Subjective 3 hardware EQs. These are inexpensive and plug and play, but will not be as sophisticated/flexible as software EQ.

In terms of what to do, just add bass to taste. As far "harshness", you can just guess and tweak various frequencies in the mids and highs and see if it helps (try around 8k, maybe?). You can also use frequency sweep tools to scan through the frequency range and see if it seems like the headphones are unusually hot at some point, and make your adjustment there.

There may also be published frequency response graph for your headphones, which may help, but you have to have a sense of what the graph is "supposed" to look like in order to judge where you should make changes.

Sep 5, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #10 of 13
Well the Meze are also a shallow pad and more like on ears but still comfortable and really like them . Liked the HP50’s but as you found could not get them to set on my head right. Have not heard the PSB’s so no comment on them .

Sep 5, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #12 of 13
Yes I also would recommend them but they are over twice the price of most of the others they were interested in.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #13 of 13
What you need is the B&O H6 2nd generation. Clear, balanced, punchy, sparkly but never harsh or fatiguing. Super duper comfortable. Big ears may find that the pads rest on earlobes. If they do, I've never noticed. My ears are kinda elf shaped. I really can't find anything to complain about with these, other than the stock cable. I chose these over the 99 Neo and the 1more triple driver over ear. They're just really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back