Closed headphone for rock shootout.
May 12, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #16 of 22
The reason the W5000 was not listed is because it is out of my price range. I would love to be able to buy it, but it is too expensive.

The reason the DT770 was listed is because I have heard it is good for rock, plus it does happen to be winning the poll, so obviously some people think it is good.

May 12, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuma
confused.gif

Sorry, I posted that because I never liked the DT770 at all.
To me only bass comes out of those headphones and what is more is very slow and muddy bass covering everything else. Specially for rock I like bass to be fast and tight, and the occasional midrange would not be bad either.
But then it is winning the poll, so what do I know

May 12, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by braker218
The reason the W5000 was not listed is because it is out of my price range. I would love to be able to buy it, but it is too expensive.

The reason the DT770 was listed is because I have heard it is good for rock, plus it does happen to be winning the poll, so obviously some people think it is good.

Why not the V6?
Cheap and fun 'fones.
I didn't mind the k271s but they are too uncomfortable for a longer listening for me.

May 12, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #20 of 22
The beyers aren't all bass, and they are quite good for rock. Just need a good amp. I'd guess that the best bet these days would be the 770/32

May 13, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #21 of 22
If budget is no concer, of course the W5000 and L3000 are awesome!

In a more budget-limited arena, where more significant trade-offs must be made, I think the question is not necessarily "what's the best for rock?" rather it should be "what's the best for what I like to listen to IN rock?".

Meaning:

If you are a rythm section person, go for the DT770 (-80 if possible).

If you're a guitars and vocals person, go for the K271S, ONLY IF YOU HAVE A POWERFUL AMP (I cannot emphasize that point enough, they are very demanding headphones because of their low efficiency).

If you plan on never getting an amp, get the A900.

If you want to use them on the go, get the Sennheiser HD25-1 for a rythm section phone, or the DT250 for a midrange phone.

(I've not heard the new AKG K181/81)

Feb 15, 2007 at 8:12 AM Post #22 of 22
I picked the DT250/250 over the DT770M, AKG K271S, and Sennheiser HD-25 in a rigorous shootout, consisting of plenty of rock. I'm very happy with them.

However, it's too bad I was never able to try the ATH-A900 (apparently not available in Canada!?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back