Closed headphone alternative to HD 800
Dec 15, 2013 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

brad34221

New Head-Fier
First, I need to disclose I am a headphone semi-noobie.

I recently upgraded headphones from a AKG K271 MK II to the Sennheiser HD 800. The fidelity is night and day!!! The problem is I listen to my music so loud, that when using the HD 800, everyone in the room can hear what I am listening to. It sort of defeats the purpose of using headphones in the first place.

So my question is if anyone can give me recommendations of an equally quality sounding headphone like the HD 800, but is more "closed" for true private listening? Any thoughts are most appreciated. Many thanks in advance (especially from the Mrs.)

:)

Dec 15, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 41
Get your wallet ready and look into the Audeze LCD-XC

Dec 16, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #3 of 41
Thank you. I've done some research on them. It seems the biggest con is their weight, which could cause some listener fatigue after awhile. It's a shame my HD800s just don't quite suit my needs as described. At least I can sell them to go towards the purchase of the Audeze's. Again, thank you for the recommendation!

Dec 16, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #4 of 41
Thank you. I've done some research on them. It seems the biggest con is their weight, which could cause some listener fatigue after awhile. It's a shame my HD800s just don't quite suit my needs as described. At least I can sell them to go towards the purchase of the Audeze's. Again, thank you for the recommendation!

Wherever you land, good listening....

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #5 of 41
Hey,

I'm on the same search as you my friend, looking for a good quality closed headphone for work. 
I've been recommended the following products, which i find quite interesting; 

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog
Audeze LCD-XC
Fostex TH-900

These vary from 600$ to 2,000$... i have yet to listen to any of these products, not even knowing if i can actually find them locally. 

But i figured i'd share. 

Cheers, 

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #6 of 41
I  am concerned with your listening at high volume for any extended period of time. It can and in most cases does harm your hearing.  I have first hand experience in the field of medicine  but expect that this relationship between loud sound and hearing loss  is pretty much known to most any one,.
I don't have a recommendation for your choice of different sounding headphones I am just getting acquainted with this particular area of audio.  I did just buy Sennheiser HD700s and low impedance DT770 by Beyer.. 

Dec 18, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #8 of 41

Fostex TH-900 are closed, but apparently they leak a lot of noise as they sound open, so they might not be a good option. I believe they are also considered bassier than the HD800 with a very different sound signature, so it might not be what you are looking for. then again, you might fall in love w/ the TH900 sound. Those are actually my dream headphones right now ahaha.

Audeze LCD-XC is really expensive, but that should be exactly what you are looking for. T5p is another luxury closed headphone that could be what you want. I would personally go ortho just because ortho's seem cooler to me.

Mad Dogs are cheaper than Alpha Dogs, I would suggest you try those first. Mr. Speaker has a pretty legit return policy. It's always better to start low & see if it satisfies you, so you can save the money. Comfort I've heard is highly rated on the Mad/Alpha Dogs. Paradox is another fostex mod that has been well-received.

Dec 18, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #9 of 41
Ultrasone Signature Pro.  Great isolation, minimal leakage, neutral, top end sound.

ATH W3000ANV.  If you can find one.

Dec 18, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #10 of 41
I do like Denon Aha-a100 anniversary model. Closed, easy to drive, comfortable, very nice sound. Wooden cups, which make them very nice looking also. 

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #11 of 41
IMHO: ATH W series (tried W1000, W1000, owned W5000) are nowhere near the quality of HD800. Nowhere. Not the bass, not the articulation, not the accuracy of micro-details. To me HD800 is like a scalpel, without the pain. W series is like enjoyable velvet, very nice and worm, but glosses over everything.

T5P is not in the same league, imho. Much too constricted.

LCD-XC haven't heard, itching with that and Fostex TH-900.

Either or those should get you pretty close, hopefully.

Dec 18, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #12 of 41
No true closed headphone will truly match up with the sound of the HD800 (FR, Soundstage, Detail).

The XC has a much smaller soundstage, more bass and a darker signature overall. Comfort is given up as well. The HD800 is thin and bright in comparison going between them, but with the HD800 imaging, soundstage and perceived detail will be higher, also in tow with the more elevated treble response. Both are fantastic I'll give them that, I'd consider buying the XC after my audition if I needed a closed headphone. I felt at the time that it was the brightest of all the Audeze's, while also having quite a large robust bass, a bit above in weight to the X ~ impossible to tell how it stacked against the LCD2/3 without A/Bing . Can't talk about the leak at all personally, didn't test.

The Alpha dog while good IMO is not on par with the HD800 in many technicalities, speaking from owning both. Still it is an option to consider + I find no issue with it leaking sound for anyone in my place. I think it excells at similar genres for me as the HD800. Very neutral.

The T5P I have not heard.

TH900 leaks enough to hear it in a room with people.

Ultrasone Signature Pro's leak nothing practically. Probably the best top model I've heard in this regard. It was a while ago personally for me, but I had trouble adjusting to the S Logic in my audition.

Sorry to not be more helpful.

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #13 of 41
The closest closed headphones in sound signature and in sound quality to HD800 are Beyerdynamic T5p. They fly under the radar, so to speak but they are very good overall headphones for any type of music that you throw at them. 

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #14 of 41
I have a HD800 and a Signature pro . I can easily advice the second as a perfect compliment of the first but not as a replacement. IMO. 

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #15 of 41
  IMHO: ATH W series (tried W1000, W1000, owned W5000) are nowhere near the quality of HD800. Nowhere. Not the bass, not the articulation, not the accuracy of micro-details. To me HD800 is like a scalpel, without the pain. W series is like enjoyable velvet, very nice and worm, but glosses over everything.

T5P is not in the same league, imho. Much too constricted.

LCD-XC haven't heard, itching with that and Fostex TH-900.

Either or those should get you pretty close, hopefully.

I think as far as details, soundstage, bass and treble go, W5000 is pretty close, at least out of my two setups.
Definitely closer than others mentioned.
Midrange is humped so they are not as neutral as HD800 but if I was looking for closed alternative that would be my first choice.

Had Mad Dogs, LCD-2.2 (not LCD-XC), D5K and now TH600. None of them even close to Senns sig and resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back