Closed for rock, < 250$
Jan 11, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #32 of 39
redface.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #34 of 39
Unfortunately I can not take part in any of the loan programs since we're not part of the European Union up here.

I'm sure I'll like the Grado RS-1, but it's not an option. I need a closed can to replace my MS-1 due to leakage. The SRH840 do sound great, I'll try wearing it for fewer hours straight these next days.

Jan 12, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by enemigo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately I can not take part in any of the loan programs since we're not part of the European Union up here.

I'm sure I'll like the Grado RS-1, but it's not an option. I need a closed can to replace my MS-1 due to leakage. The SRH840 do sound great, I'll try wearing it for fewer hours straight these next days.

Like you, I wanted a good closed phone that would do rock well, but also be versatile for other things I listen to.

I'm lucky, I get to audition, and went with the Beyer DT250/80ohm. Very neutral, so don't overdo bass, though it's good. Good isolation too. An underrated phone on here.

Jan 13, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #37 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like you, I wanted a good closed phone that would do rock well, but also be versatile for other things I listen to.

I'm lucky, I get to audition, and went with the Beyer DT250/80ohm. Very neutral, so don't overdo bass, though it's good. Good isolation too. An underrated phone on here.

+1, give the dt250s or dt150s a try... only ever read good things about them.

Quote:

All open phones leak about the same

dont know about that - have you heard any stax cos mine leak like crazy compared to my grados - it leaks more sound than goes into my head.

Jan 14, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

+2 on the DT250. The headphone has been unjustly left by the wayside in favor of newer, fresher models that don't sound as good, IMO.

Jan 14, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #39 of 39
Paldepind, I considered Ultrasone, but I wasn't won over by the HFI780 reviews I read. And the ALO version was a bit too expensive.

I actually had/used the DT250-80 for some 40 hours, about 5 years ago. It was nice enough but it wasn't that much better than my DT231 and far less portable. I was using it with an mp3 player and a cmoy. Now that I'm not looking for a portable can, I have considered them again, but it's tempting to try something new.

I'll use my Shures for a few more weeks before making any decisions.

Thanks for your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back